Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2010, 16:18   #106

Re: World War 1

Don't really understand Katex's remarks. I have saved the picture but I was interested in reading the article. Perhaps I didn't explain well.
By the way I'm a 'She' not a 'He' and why would I want sheep's brains anyway!!
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-01-2010, 17:03   #107
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm_counsell View Post
Don't really understand Katex's remarks. I have saved the picture but I was interested in reading the article. Perhaps I didn't explain well.
By the way I'm a 'She' not a 'He' and why would I want sheep's brains anyway!!
Haha ... sorry SMC .. you misread my post. The sheep's brains was aimed at Retlaw ... not you ... he thinks I need a brain transplant, and keeps offering me the spare one he keeps in his freezer ..

It is just me that saves it in My Pictures initially ('cause this is what comes up first when it asks for a file) ... then I decide later where to put it.

You should have right clicked first on the image Retlaw put up .. go to top of list to open link ... this brings you into a larger image in another window. Then right click on it again ... Go to 'save as' .. this is when it gives you the option of which file you wish to put it in. It should take the text with it. I would have put this in 'My pictures' anyway because the text may have been too small to read, but can open it from there into your Paint Shop Pro.. which you can enlarge.

Now, I probably will have confused you more, and someone will come along to tell you an easier way ...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 19:11   #108
I am Banned

Now, I probably will have confused you more, and someone will come along to tell you an easier way ... [/quote]
Yes you have Snake Head, why have you done two operations when 1 will do, right click on news cutting scroll down to save picture as
and it will open your my pictures folder
just click save, it already has a file name.
then you can view it in Widows Explorer and magnify to what ever size is readable.
If you click on print in Explorer it give you a choice of sizes to print it, but why print it if you can read and remember.

Sirry Iriot, sorry daft bat is better.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 20:29   #109
Resting in Peace

See what I mean ?? Just that a thumbnail remains as a thumbnail in your file initially ....

Is this the blind leading the blind ?...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 20:53   #110
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
See what I mean ?? Just that a thumbnail remains as a thumbnail in your file initially ....

Is this the blind leading the blind ?...
Aye eck Medusa
Con ti nod read, wad dus this seh.

then you can view it in Widows Explorer and magnify to what ever size is readable.
If you click on print in Explorer it give you a choice of sizes to print it, but why print it if you can read and remember.

Have you never seen the little magnifier at the bottom on the page

Retlaw.
Old 24-06-2010, 13:25   #111

Hi Retlaw

My gt Grandfather was pte James Ormerod 27670 born 1897 lived at 9 stone row clayton-le-moors joined the 2nd/4th loyal north lancs 1915 and was transfered to the 8th battalion loyal north lancs 1916 and then the kings own royal lancaster regiment 1919 i think he may of been involved in the battle of The Messines? As you can see , i have found out quite a bit about him already my grandmother says he was gassed by the germans?? is there anything else you can tell me , i would love to find out anything more or perhaps a photo????
CHAZ1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2010, 15:09   #112
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAZ1975 View Post
Hi Retlaw

My gt Grandfather was pte James Ormerod 27670 born 1897 lived at 9 stone row clayton-le-moors joined the 2nd/4th loyal north lancs 1915 and was transfered to the 8th battalion loyal north lancs 1916 and then the kings own royal lancaster regiment 1919 i think he may of been involved in the battle of The Messines? As you can see , i have found out quite a bit about him already my grandmother says he was gassed by the germans?? is there anything else you can tell me , i would love to find out anything more or perhaps a photo????
Your Gt Grandad
Joined up in July 1916, alloted the number 27670 in the Loyals age 19, was 5-7 tall, hair brown eyes blue, next of kin Thomas Ormerod (father) 9 Stone Row, C-l-M. He was gassed and admitted to Wharncliffe Hospital 18-5-1918, discharged from hospital 19-7-1918. posted to K.O.R.L. alloted new number 51542.
It would appear that on his demob Nov 6th 1919.
He opted to go to Archangel.
The only way you will find out where he was when gassed is the battalion war diaries, his name will not be mentioned just the day to day incidents.

Retlaw.
Old 24-06-2010, 15:51   #113

thanks very much

please forgive my ignorance what was archangel? and where do you think i could find the war diaries? would they be at kew or at fulwood baracks ? would they be available for public viewing?
Old 24-06-2010, 17:37   #114
I am Banned

Quote:
thanks very much

please forgive my ignorance what was archangel? and where do you think i could find the war diaries? would they be at kew or at fulwood baracks ? would they be available for public viewing?
Arcangel was a campaign that took place in Northern Russia in 1919, to help the white Russians.
Men from G.B. and some of the Commonwealth countries were involved, even the septics poked their noses in.
More men died from the weather than from bullets.

Retlaw.
Forgot to add the War Diaries, there should be a copy of the Loyals at Fulwood, don't know about the Royal Lancs, ring Fulwood and ask but not on a monday, their shut.

Last edited by Retlaw; 24-06-2010 at 17:43.
Old 03-07-2010, 20:40   #115

My maternal grandfather served with the MGC, private 84352 & lived on Blackburn Road, Accrington. Is this area covered by research? I do not have any photos or information about his military service, just a few old photos which I could scan for you if interested. Should you have an information on him I would be most interested. With thanks & kind regards.
sanzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 22:31   #116
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanzie View Post
My maternal grandfather served with the MGC, private 84352 & lived on Blackburn Road, Accrington. Is this area covered by research? I do not have any photos or information about his military service, just a few old photos which I could scan for you if interested. Should you have an information on him I would be most interested. With thanks & kind regards.
Hi sanzie.
I need a bit more than his service number, I've got over 14000 names in my files, what was his surname.
Retlaw.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:56   #117

I take it the exhibition at howarth art gallery is your's retlaw? the lancashire evening telegraph have a story on it today , unfortunately the fail to mention when it opens and how long it is on for? i would like to come and see it at the weekend will it be open?
Old 08-07-2010, 19:45   #118
I am Banned

Quote:
I take it the exhibition at howarth art gallery is your's retlaw? the lancashire evening telegraph have a story on it today , unfortunately the fail to mention when it opens and how long it is on for? i would like to come and see it at the weekend will it be open?
Yes it was opened on July 1st & will be on till about October. Can't find it in my version of the Telegraph, one of their phoographers rang this morning wanting to take my photo along side the collection. He got told the same thing as Sky Television did last year, no bluudy way.

Retlaw.
Old 08-07-2010, 20:54   #119
God Member

Faces of 2,200 Accrington WW1 heroes in new exhibition (From Lancashire Telegraph)
Old 08-07-2010, 22:56   #120

I'm going to have a look at that too. Sounds really fascinating. Keep up the good work Retlaw, you are doing a marvelous job
suedarbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..