Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree13Likes
  • 4 Post By Bob Dobson
  • 1 Post By Bob Dobson
  • 8 Post By dotti34

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2015, 20:07   #1

Would anyone like to write an article about Accrington's local history

Hi there Accrington folks,

I'm currently in the process of setting up a local history website, called Local History is Awesome:

Local History is Awesome - You'll never guess what happened in your hometown.

The website isn't completely finished, but once we're up and running we're going to aim to publish accessible, light-hearted articles about the 'best bits' of local history for as many places in the UK as possible. I've always thought it such a shame that the vast majority of people never really find out about the amazing histories of their area, and I'm hoping the site can help remedy this.

I'm based in Oxfordshire, so my personal efforts are all very much based on the county, but I'm very keen to expand the focus. Would any of you like to write an article about Accrington's local history? Of course, I'd help with the whole process, and the article would be able to link back to this website for people who wanted additional information.

Many thanks,

Will Hazell
WillHazell is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-03-2015, 11:15   #2

Re: Would anyone like to write an article about Accrington's local history

I'll write an article for you. How much do you pay? I'm thinking about £500 and I retain full copyright.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 17:48   #3

I'm sorry, but are you serious? Fledgling history sites without a revenue stream don't pay people £500 for 1500 words.
Old 18-03-2015, 22:17   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillHazell View Post
I'm sorry, but are you serious? Fledgling history sites without a revenue stream don't pay people £500 for 1500 words.
And are you serious in thinking that anyone would be mug enough to write articles for you for nothing? You've no interest in this site, other than trying to recruit people to write for your poxy website. This is a discussion forum. So what can you contribute?
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 09:08   #5

I've really upset you that much? I (naively, apparently) thought that someone with an interest in Accrington's history might enjoy having this as a project, and that this was by far the best way to find such a person. I'm not sure why that's led to me being sneered at so nastily.
Old 19-03-2015, 11:50   #6
Senior Member+

There are people who want to write for the pleasure of being published rather than for the dosh. I write a monthly article for nowt in the Acorn magazine. My first thought was that Michael was speaking 'tongue in cheek'. I distance myself from his attack. I doubt that the website will be a money-maker for Will
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 17:29   #7
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

You may have upset many, not just on this site but on other thriving sites you chose to put your post on.
Let's face it, it's you spamming AccyWeb to get what you want.
You don't plan to improve our site, you just want us to help you.

WRONG!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 19:18   #8
Senior Member+

I see nothing wrong with someone seeking help from those interested in local history. I do it all the time on here. Will was quite open about wanting help.
davylad likes this.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 06:45   #9

I agree with Bob in that I didn’t see anything wrong with WillHazell’s request either. I think it is a great idea to have websites devoted to the history of different areas for present and future generations to read and enjoy and am sure there already are plenty of such sites. So much is lost because of the non-telling of stories. Am a bit surprised at the response from Michael1954 - he apparently has read the request with a suspicious mind, very differently to how I read it.

Thankfully there are a number of people (like Bob) who actually do things for the love of it without expecting reward, I would like to think that WillHazell is in this category, and I wish him well in his endeavours.

Whether or not anyone on this forum is interested in helping Will in his request is up to them but I’d like to think that not many of the members have taken umbrage at the request. If you don’t want to help then just ignore the thread, it’s as easy as that. No need to be insulting about it.

Like Bob, I have had help from the forum myself re family history for which I have been very grateful.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 22:07   #10
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
And are you serious in thinking that anyone would be mug enough to write articles for you for nothing? You've no interest in this site, other than trying to recruit people to write for your poxy website. This is a discussion forum. So what can you contribute?
Sounds like someone's never heard of Wikipedia.
pete88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..