Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Karateman

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2013, 21:58   #1

WW1 talk... A mothers tears....

Hi guys,
went to Accy library on Bonfire night to listen to a presentation by Steve Williams from Chorley about life in the Great War Called " A Mothers Tears". To quote him...
"A few lines spotted in the ‘In Memoriam’ column of my local paper in June 1918 gave me the idea for this talk. I have put together some very poignant stories from my own research into WW1 over the years. As the title implies, they view the War through different eyes"

Very moving especially as my great cousin died in WW1 part of the local Burnley Pals......and I am currently researching my family history

Phil
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-11-2013, 04:50   #2

Re: WW1 talk... A mothers tears....

That would have been a great presentation to listen to. Would have been sad I should think.

What a waste wars are. In the first World War my father was very badly injured, was in hospital 18 months - and as soon as he was fit again went back to France to fight some more. Two of his brothers were killed in this war. I only found out about my father's exploits when I too was researching my family history and was sent a newspaper report of it. He never talked about it.
Then in the second World War my stepbrother was killed (22 years of age) and an uncle (my mother's brother) was killed also (at Crete). Another uncle was taken prisoner there and spent 5 years as a P.O.W.

So many telegrams delivered.....so many hearts broken, so many mothers' tears.

As I said, what a waste.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 21:26   #3

Re: WW1 talk... A mothers tears....

There were and are, some very bad people in this world who have caused a lot of suffering...they have a lot to answer for..
dotti34 likes this.
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..