Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-05-2019, 21:13   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Yards in Accrington.

Hi as far as I am aware Woods Yard was off Cross Street and Wood Street off 37 Dale Street. Does that sound about right? :-)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-05-2019, 17:50   #32
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Hi as far as I am aware Woods Yard was off Cross Street and Wood Street off 37 Dale Street. Does that sound about right? :-)
Just wondering how Wood St was off 37 Dale St
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 09:58   #33

Hello Retlaw, it`s fifty years since I left Accy, I remember a court/yard off Nuttall St. on the apex of where it bends to the right after Wellington St. Whilst they were living my relatives swore blind that I was mistaken. Can you throw any light on the matter? Frank T
Frank T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 10:20   #34
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank T View Post
Hello Retlaw, it`s fifty years since I left Accy, I remember a court/yard off Nuttall St. on the apex of where it bends to the right after Wellington St. Whilst they were living my relatives swore blind that I was mistaken. Can you throw any light on the matter? Frank T
Hi some views of Nuttall Street area. Across from The Star pub there was an alleyway, which led to Clement Street, a cut through (with Lincoln Street nearby) The selling out shop, in my time, was McCartneys. You may remember Littlefair's paper shop too, on the corner of Nuttall and Wellington Streets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fri 30th June 2017_13.JPG (4.22 MB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg map - Copy.jpg (157.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Nuttall st 1968.jpg (165.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Nuttallstreet2.jpg (13.4 KB, 17 views)
Old 27-09-2019, 13:29   #35
Beacon of light

I remember that Yard too...there was a selling out shop very close to it and it was owned by a family called Mc Cartney...the duaghter was at school with me.
I am going back to around the late 1950's.
My Grandma used to get off the Manchester bus in Melbourne Street and head for The Star public house...she would have a half of mild and bring a bottle of beer to our house to have later.
Atarah, those pictures bring back some very happy memories...thank you.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 17:30   #36

Ta muchly Atarah I always knew I was right, I remember the paper shop but I didn`t know the name, across the road was there a chip shop? I remember half way on Wellington St. was a grocers shop (I think it was Polish) they had a beautiful daughter called Vanda, we were in the same classes at junior school. Totally irrelevant my mother was born at 21 Wellington St.
Frank T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 12:43   #37
Senior Member+

Hi, yes, there was a chippy directly across from Littlefair's, quite a large family, I knew Alan as he used to be one of the lads we all used to meet up with, up Oak Hill Park. I should know the surname but cant just remember it. Here are two oldish views of Wellington Street.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wellington street including no 102 nr the lamp.jpg (122.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg wellybobstreet.jpg (92.3 KB, 12 views)
Old 07-10-2019, 09:30   #38
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
?.. The selling out shop, in my time, was McCartneys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
...there was a selling out shop very close to it and it was owned by a family called Mc Cartney...
Had to smile at both of you referring to “selling out” shops.
When I moved to Accy from Cumberland age 6 it took a while to pick up on the local lingo. I often went in the “selling out” shop on the corner of Washington St, at the bottom of Cedar Street (if memory serves).
But, when it was still there after six months, then a year, I couldn’t understand why it hadn’t yet sold out and cleared the shelves.
It was only later that I twigged it was a “sellin’ owt” shop.
Atarah likes this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:42   #39
Beacon of light

That made me laugh...though it is not really correct.
Selling Out shops were licensed to sell alcohol to be consumed off the premises.
These were known as 'out sales'.....pubs often had a counter where you could buy alcohol to take out....and often folk could be seen entering the 'out sales' door with a jug to take home a couple of pints of mild.
Sometimes this would be 'pokered' when it was taken home.....mild was thought to have beneficial digestive benefits....and for anyone constipated....would 'make a road through'.
Children were given pokered ale.

Not a lot of people know that....and I am really showing my age now.
Old 07-10-2019, 13:21   #40
God Member

Thanks, Margaret, none of us are too old to learn.
However, I guess at that time I was yet to appreciate the attractions of buying a bottle of Dutton’s or Massey’s along with my pennyworth of spanish.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 15:35   #41
Beacon of light

Yes, you are right about the learning.
Don't think you would have been served with the beer and the Spanish.
The selling out shops could only sell beer during licensing hours and so that is why they sold other stuff too(or at least that is my recollection).
Old 16-10-2019, 04:58   #42

I would love to join this.
Petrary is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..