Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Community Talk (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f127/)
-   -   Pollution of the river Hyndburn (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f127/pollution-of-the-river-hyndburn-49554.html)

Rocky 25-09-2009 13:51

Pollution of the river Hyndburn

http://www.noriweb.co.uk/images/web-images/img_4973.jpg

Does anyone know who is polluting Tinker Brook? I took this picture where Tinker brook enters the river Hyndburn just under the Motorway bridge nr the Dunkenhalgh. It runs nice and clear up in Oswaldtwistle, yet appears down here very sickly looking. The river looks ill. I have noticed it a few times this year running this colour.

katex 04-10-2009 15:29

Re: Pollution of the river Hyndburn

Yuk Rocky ... suggest you forward to the relevant body responsible for sorting out pollution problems .. somebody will find it for you ... LOL.

By the way, you weren't going up the Coppice the other day on yer bike were you ? The day of the Centenary ? Someone passed as I was on the way down with just that gear on ... bit hot and bothered, but still with a big smile on his face. :D

MargaretR 04-10-2009 15:40

I notice the infestation of Himalayan Balsam
Himalayan Balsam, recognition and eradication
A large succulent, annual introduced in 1839 to Kew Gardens as a greenhouse plant, it escaped to the wild, now naturalised in the British Isles and many other non-native countries - it is very invasive and should be removed when found.

If you see this plant, destroy it, preferably before it seeds in October

katex 04-10-2009 16:49

Well spotted Margaret ... although I 'aint paddling through that water to pull up those plants ... after you .... :D

garinda 04-10-2009 16:49

As you say, it certainly doesn't look like that, further up it's course in Ossy.

There's a telephone nember on this link, which allows you to report river pollution, and hopefully have it investigated.

Environment Agency - Contact us

Restless 04-10-2009 16:57

is the river hyndburn what some call 'river stink' ?

katex 04-10-2009 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 750437)
is the river hyndburn what some call 'river stink' ?

Oh dear, is it never going to shake off this name ... yes, Restless .. but it is OK now.

Do you think could be some type of fertilizer ?

Alan Gilmartin 09-10-2009 06:36

It was always that colour when I was a kid. And boy did it stink, sorry Kate. It was a long time ago.

katex 09-10-2009 13:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin (Post 751844)
It was always that colour when I was a kid. And boy did it stink, sorry Kate. It was a long time ago.

It did Alan .. remember it well, mixture of rotting rat corpses and chemicals, but honest, has been cleaned up. :)

garinda 09-10-2009 18:26

It's probably a good thing the powers that be weren't in charge when the old Urban Councils were amalgamated in 1973. Otherwise we'd probably be paying our council tax today to Stink Borough Council.

Though I'm sure the Duke of Kent wouldn't have needed to ask where it was.

:D

jaysay 10-10-2009 10:34

The worst polluted brook in my youth was the Swanee, Cockers used to use it to run of their water after doing any cleaning, it stunk of TCP, all the stones were white and loads of frothy bubbles were always flying about, weren't reght good for fishing either:D

Alan Gilmartin 11-10-2009 05:37

TCP, havent heard of that for yonks, what does TCP stand for John. Remember the smell though. IZAL toilet paper , Is it still in production, A bit hard on the bum, Also a question, where does the Hyndburn start and end.

jaysay 11-10-2009 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin (Post 752405)
TCP, haven't heard of that for yonks, what does TCP stand for John. Remember the smell though. IZAL toilet paper , Is it still in production, A bit hard on the bum, Also a question, where does the Hyndburn start and end.

TCP Alen now let me see Trichlorophenylmethyliodosalicyl:D plays havoc with the spell check I can tell you (I googled it by the way, I'm no boffin:D) as for Hyndburn its boundaries are Blackburn, Rossendale, Riddle Valley and Burnley in the main. Well I never my spell check actually picked TCP up, must have copied a letter wrong:D

garinda 11-10-2009 18:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 752138)
The worst polluted brook in my youth was the Swanee, Cockers used to use it to run of their water after doing any cleaning, it stunk of TCP, all the stones were white and loads of frothy bubbles were always flying about, weren't reght good for fishing either:D

I don't know the name of that brook, but when I a was young it was bright orange, after it had passed Cocker's.

Upstream it was lovely and clean.

It's amazing how industry was guilty of so much pollution, for so long a time.

Retlaw 11-10-2009 21:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin (Post 752405)
TCP, havent heard of that for yonks, what does TCP stand for John. Remember the smell though. IZAL toilet paper , Is it still in production, A bit hard on the bum, Also a question, where does the Hyndburn start and end.

The river Hyndburn is just the joining of Warmden Water and Woodnook Water, they meet under Cross St, in Acc at the Black Abbey St end. Woodnook Water comes under the old Ritz Cinema across Church St, down the bottom of Black Abbey St and curves to go along Cross St. Warmden Brook, comes down through Broad Oak factory, crosses Manchester Rd just past the end of the old Fire Station, curves right and runs under the pavement down Grange Lane, till it joins the other river.

The reddish colour to the Hyndburn mostly came from the Turkey Red Factory up Baxenden, which ran in a steel pipe till it got past all the mills on Victoria St.
The other colours came from the dye houses in Broad Oak Factory.
The river Stink ends when it meet the Calder.
Retlaw.