Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Community Talk General Hyndburn community chat.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-07-2011, 17:16   #1
Senior Member+

A street monument/scupture in Accrington

Last week I visited Nelson and in the centyre I saw a newly-erected piece iof 'sculpture' or 'art'. It takes the form of a 40ft high model of a weaver's shuttle. It is made out of iron which has gone a rusty colour. I don't usually like this rustuing, but it gives the shuttle the appearance of dark wood. It hasd a stainless steel cap and the centre, where the cop of cotton goes, it is lit up (at night) It is set in a sort of small amphitheatre. I liked it.
If Accrington had such a sculpture, what form would it take? A shuttle is very symbolic, so we could have one of those. A giant acorn? An actual Lancashire loom made by Bulloughs? A small deer, a hind, if the Town Hal want to use the word Hyundburn rather than Accrington? A WW1 soldier?

Anybody else seen it?

Any other ideas to pass ionto HBC? The soldier might be the preferred choice in the short term, with the centenary of WW1 & the Pals' formation coming up, and with spending likely to be curtailed.

It is being officially opened in August by Tony Livesey of the BBC, a former Nelson Leader reporter. Forgetting the mayor or any councillors, who would we get to 'open' it. Retlaw? The Chief of the Armed Services? The Colonel of the Queen's Lancaster Regt? William & Kate?
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-07-2011, 18:57   #2
I am Banned

Re: A street monument/scupture in Accrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Last week I visited Nelson and in the centyre I saw a newly-erected piece iof 'sculpture' or 'art'. It takes the form of a 40ft high model of a weaver's shuttle. It is made out of iron which has gone a rusty colour. I don't usually like this rustuing, but it gives the shuttle the appearance of dark wood. It hasd a stainless steel cap and the centre, where the cop of cotton goes, it is lit up (at night) It is set in a sort of small amphitheatre. I liked it.
If Accrington had such a sculpture, what form would it take? A shuttle is very symbolic, so we could have one of those. A giant acorn? An actual Lancashire loom made by Bulloughs? A small deer, a hind, if the Town Hal want to use the word Hyundburn rather than Accrington? A WW1 soldier?

Anybody else seen it?

Any other ideas to pass ionto HBC? The soldier might be the preferred choice in the short term, with the centenary of WW1 & the Pals' formation coming up, and with spending likely to be curtailed.

It is being officially opened in August by Tony Livesey of the BBC, a former Nelson Leader reporter. Forgetting the mayor or any councillors, who would we get to 'open' it. Retlaw? The Chief of the Armed Services? The Colonel of the Queen's Lancaster Regt? William & Kate?
Another of thi ideas, we once had a steam engine, but thats gone rusty, all thats left is a gear wheel at bottom of Ormerod St.
As for the statute of a WW1 soldier, who's gonna pay for that unless, we nick one off Haslingden, or Clayton's Memorial's, then we'd have to have numerous committee's to decide where to put it.
The last committee were supposed to design a horse, and finished up with a camel.
If tha prepared to roll thi sleeves up I can show thi how to make, mold, and cast a bronze statue, cost a bit of brass just furt materials, besides 1/2 ton of coke to melt the metal.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 24-07-2011 at 19:04. Reason: Spelling
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 19:58   #3
Beacon of light

I'd rather have the flagstones made safe.
I am not a big fan of street art. Everyone has different ideas about what ART is........and on my travels I can't say I have seen any modern stuff that has made me think....Wow, wish we had that in Accrington.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 20:12   #4
Senior Member+

I thought the same Marg, instead of spending money on pieces of metal sort our other problems out first.

Its sometimes lethal walking around town for a young un like me-self ( )never mind older people who have difficulty walking.
I never think about the last.
heth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 20:32   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I'd rather have the flagstones made safe.
Which flagstones are not safe? I have not noticed them myself I don't walk all over town.
Old 24-07-2011, 20:33   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heth View Post
Its sometimes lethal walking around town for a young un like me-self .....
Your having a laugh
Old 24-07-2011, 20:44   #7
Senior Member+

Try to keep to the thread Neil. You're taking it on the downward path.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 20:58   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Your having a laugh
Says the old sod! Jealous thats what it is!!

I agree with Bob keep on the thread!!
I never think about the last.
heth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 21:12   #9
Beacon of light

Neil, there are quite a few, more noticeable in the wet when they shoot water up your trouser leg.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 21:15   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i quite like street sculptures n the like, but its a matter of priorities,as others have said, so it don't come very high on my list, but if accy were to have one,i would suggest a big penis, fer all the dickheads that collect in front of the market hall.
Old 24-07-2011, 22:19   #11
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i quite like street sculptures n the like, but its a matter of priorities,as others have said, so it don't come very high on my list, but if accy were to have one,i would suggest a big penis, fer all the dickheads that collect in front of the market hall.
Im with you on that Cashy, but quite a lot don't frequent the front of the market hall, some are in the building next to it, it would also be a good place to display britcliffe's medal.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 01:34   #12
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Try to keep to the thread Neil. You're taking it on the downward path.
People disagreed with your idea and said the money would be better spent repairing flags. Do you not like being disagreed with?
Old 25-07-2011, 06:54   #13
Resting in Peace

BBC News - Nelson's giant shuttle sculpture lifted into place

I think this is terrific and, unlike Margaret, would have loved to have seen this in the centre of Accrington .. well done Nelson.

There will always be opinions about money better spent on 'this and that', but any feature that makes a town centre more aesthetically beautiful is money well spent. Art will always be subjective, of course, and you cannot please everyone, but something depicting our past industries (perhaps calico printing), would please me.

Don't like the idea of a soldier ... we have the war memorials dotted around Hyndburn which more than honours our heroes.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 07:01   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
BBC News - Nelson's giant shuttle sculpture lifted into place

I think this is terrific and, unlike Margaret, would have loved to have seen this in the centre of Accrington .. well done Nelson.

There will always be opinions about money better spent on 'this and that', but any feature that makes a town centre more aesthetically beautiful is money well spent. Art will always be subjective, of course, and you cannot please everyone, but something depicting our past industries (perhaps calico printing), would please me.

Don't like the idea of a soldier ... we have the war memorials dotted around Hyndburn which more than honours our heroes.
Whilst i like street sculptures,please explain how in these times its money well spent?
Old 25-07-2011, 07:27   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Whilst i like street sculptures,please explain how in these times its money well spent?
Because anything that helps to make a town more interesting can only be of benefit.

It looks like this was a separate funding to improve their town centre, and maybe they have spent some of it on improving walkways, etc ?
This was only a small part of the 」2.1 million budget granted.

It's like the flower towers .. people have grumbled about the money spent on these, but you have to admit, does liven the borough up, and helps to make visiting more pleasant.

Last edited by katex; 25-07-2011 at 07:30.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..