Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Community Talk General Hyndburn community chat.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2012, 22:57   #1
Junior Member+

Accrington Market - artists?

I have been talking to many people over past few months concerning art and Accrington market hall, and frankly concerned at the number of local artists who are not aware of the studio/workshop space available upstairs on the balcony. I have a unit. It costs little more than a studio/workshop in an old warehouse with difficult access.

If you are a local artist looking for somewhere to do your artwork, or even just hang out with other artists,please come up to the balcony and have a look. There is plenty of light, perfect for creating artwork. I would like to see more artists based there, creating an art cafe atmosphere. This is just my opinion, not the official view, but I am happy to talk to anyone about getting more going in this wonderful building.

If you have not been upstairs at the market, please make the effort to visit, as it is the best place to see the inside of this wonderful building. I am also concerned that if we don't use what we have we might lose it, which would be a tragedy.
It has been said in the past that Accrington and Art don't mix, but there are loads of artists living here, and I find it a very inspirational place to work.

Accrington has inspired engineers to create things that were sold all round the world, so maybe there is something in the local air(not just soot and grit).

Last edited by ruedetropal; 07-03-2012 at 23:02.
ruedetropal is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-03-2012, 04:31   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Accrington Market - artists?

DSC01891.jpg

Sherburne and landrover.jpg

SHERBURNE Borderline.jpg

[ATTACH][/ATTACH] The attached paintings hve been done by a local artist, Peter Sherburne who has bee asked to paint the Queen's dogs and present the portrait to her on her visit to Accy . The Border Collie with the lamb is my old dog who I lost to cancer 6 years since
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SHERBURNE collie on moores.jpg (38.5 KB, 7 views)
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:33   #3
Senior Member+

Sorry I missed my dog offDSC01900.jpg
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 15:25   #4
Junior Member+

I can't be critical of any artist fortunate to have been selected for such an occasion, but why wasn't there any community involvement in the choice. We now have an artist network group working very well but seem to be excluded from some things.
For Accrington to progress, in particular the market there has to be much better communication, and less of the old ways of doing things.
There is a new project in the market hall, about allotments, partly run through Prospects, but the first I knew about it was the large photo(Huncoat allotments) appearing in the market hall. Considering I am a member of Prospects, a director of One Planet and a member of Huncoat Forum, and have an art workshop in the market, no one had thought to inform me, and I have asked others who had a connection if they kne and they did not. It seems everyone involved assumed someone else was doing the advance publicity. It could be said, why should I have been told, but simple politeness is the simplest reason.
I am passionate about promoting both local and environmental issues, and am fed up with local apathy. That apathy and distrust ill continue unless local people are included in the loop.
ruedetropal is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..