Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Community Talk General Hyndburn community chat.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2008, 11:15   #1
Full Member+

Accy Vic - residents parking

The local area council is proposing a resident's parking scheme for the area surrounding Victoria hospital. Does any other area of town have one of these and if so, how's it work ?
Reamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-11-2008, 16:55   #2
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Accy Vic - residents parking

These are newish to Hyndburn so yours might be the first. I suspect they will try and make you pay for the privilege of parked your own car on your own street. i would attend all the meetings and fight against any payment if I was you. Don't forget you will not be guaranteed a parking space so why should you have to pay for it. I have heard of other schemes in other areas where they have sold more parking badges than there were spaces, that is something else to ask about.

Please keep us informed on this I am interested about it.
Old 04-11-2008, 22:12   #3
Full Member+

At the moment it is only at the proposal stage and residents are being consulted. However there is not much detail on how it would work. Yes there will be a charge (nominally £25), but it is not clear if that is per vehicle or per address. If it is per address, then householders could have as many cars as they liked which would not solve the parking problem on what are mostly terraced streets. Also, how does it work if a resident has to park a works van overnight and how does it affect businesses within the designated area ? In essence , residents are being asked if they want to support a parking scheme when the implications have not been made clear.
Old 04-11-2008, 22:15   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

That is why you need to attend all the meeting you can about it. Why not contact you local Councillor and ask what it is all about?
Old 04-11-2008, 22:24   #5
Full Member+

You're right, of course, but as far as local councillors are concerned, being the cynic that I am, I wonder if I would get the points fully answered. Still it might be worth a try.
Old 04-11-2008, 22:29   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reamer View Post
You're right, of course, but as far as local councillors are concerned, being the cynic that I am, I wonder if I would get the points fully answered. Still it might be worth a try.
I think you would. They are probably the ones who have started it all off. Who are your local Councillors?
Old 04-11-2008, 22:35   #7
Full Member+

Someone called Pritchard
Old 04-11-2008, 22:40   #8
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

You have the Father Daughter duo then, Claire and Malcolm I think he is called. Give one of them a ring and see what it is all about. Phone numbers at

Councillors - Malcolm Pritchard

Councillors - Clare Pritchard
Old 05-11-2008, 07:26   #9
Full Member+

Neil, thanks for the links. Will post when (and if) I get further info
Old 06-11-2008, 10:39   #10
Resting in Peace

Re: Act Vic - residents parking

My Daughter lives in that area and she was frothing last week when she rang me, she seems to think its £25 per car, there are 4 cars at her home and they are all used for work purposes. Clare Pritchard is a member on here
Old 12-11-2008, 13:14   #11

Hiya

Yes, I know about the scheme but it's only a proposal at the moment. I've always answered any query honestly and will continue to do so on this matter. It is £25 per permit, per address and this includes a visitors pass for when people visit you. Its was actually suggested to us by residents of the area as there are MASSIVE parking problems in the area both from the hospital and due to the change of use to the old ESMI Unit (The Mount). If you need any more info either ring me or drop me a PM or e-mail, my email address is [email protected]
ClarePritchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 16:18   #12
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarePritchard View Post
Hiya

Yes, I know about the scheme but it's only a proposal at the moment. I've always answered any query honestly and will continue to do so on this matter. It is £25 per permit, per address and this includes a visitors pass for when people visit you. Its was actually suggested to us by residents of the area as there are MASSIVE parking problems in the area both from the hospital and due to the change of use to the old ESMI Unit (The Mount). If you need any more info either ring me or drop me a PM or e-mail, my email address is [email protected]
Why do they have to pay for permits to park in their own street Clare? I would have thought many more people would come out in agreement if each house received at least one free permit.

I understand that without a payment for extra permits some people would take the mick and ask for a dozen each.

Will a permit guarantee a space? I don't mean a numbered space on the street. I have heard of places (Colne) where more permits were sold/issued than there was spaces to park cars.

I am not sure if I think it is a good idea for places like the Hospital and around the Theatre in Ossy where they also have big parking problems. I don't think it is a complete solution. I think it just tends to move the parking problems to the next street along.
Old 12-11-2008, 16:45   #13
God Member

They have permit parking where I lived for a short while in Blackpool

Which you have to pay for every year, not sure how much it is now tho

They put parking bay lines on all the streets, but you are still not guaranteed to park outside your house or even on your street for that matter.... so why should everyone have to pay £25-00 a year for a permit? To cover the cost of the white lines huh?
Old 12-11-2008, 17:12   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Why do they have to pay for permits to park in their own street Clare? I would have thought many more people would come out in agreement if each house received at least one free permit.

I understand that without a payment for extra permits some people would take the mick and ask for a dozen each.

Will a permit guarantee a space? I don't mean a numbered space on the street. I have heard of places (Colne) where more permits were sold/issued than there was spaces to park cars.

I am not sure if I think it is a good idea for places like the Hospital and around the Theatre in Ossy where they also have big parking problems. I don't think it is a complete solution. I think it just tends to move the parking problems to the next street along.
thats Colne, Pendle borough council seem to think no one needs to park in colne, kwik save (as was) car park is shut and the one across from the shepherds is now a nursery

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 17:36   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyLass28 View Post
should everyone have to pay £25-00 a year for a permit? To cover the cost of the white lines huh?
And why not ? All motorists have paid for the roads and pavements through our taxes, why should residents get a bit of it free ? You are restricting other motorists from having the right to park on that road after all, so buy it !
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..