Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Community Talk General Hyndburn community chat.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-09-2013, 14:17   #1
Senior Member+

Charity Shops

I would like to visit and make contact with any cancer-connected charity shops in Accrington or Gt Harwood. Where are they? Which organisation? Any contact details?
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-09-2013, 14:59   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Charity Shops

There is no longer a cancer charity shop in Accrington.....I can't say about Gt Harwood.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 15:44   #3
Senior Member+

Is there a local Macmillan ? They held their annual 'World's Biggest Coffee Morning ' on Friday, so maybe there is a local branch. We attended Britain's highest one - in the Peel Tower, Holcombe. fantastic views after a strenuous climb.
Old 29-09-2013, 16:36   #4
Beacon of light

No Bob, there was a Macmillan coffee morning hosted by Barbara Kays (shoe shop)...and maybe the Hospice shop participated....but the Cancer Research shop that was on Broadway has been gone quite a while now....I am not aware of any other Cancer Charity shops in Accrington
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 17:59   #5
Senior Member+

There is the Blackburn Hospice shop at the top of Peel Street
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 18:47   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I would like to visit and make contact with any cancer-connected charity shops in Accrington or Gt Harwood. Where are they? Which organisation? Any contact details?
There is an East Lancashire Hospice Shop in Accrington and also one in Great Harwood.
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 19:48   #7
Senior Member+

Thanks for these responses.
Old 02-10-2013, 21:16   #8

Sue Johnson, landlady of the Peel Park pub, is THE local fund-raiser for Macmillan - I think she's just reached £40,000. She could perhaps give you information about cancer shops.
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 21:24   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith Addison View Post
Sue Johnson, landlady of the Peel Park pub, is THE local fund-raiser for Macmillan - I think she's just reached £40,000. She could perhaps give you information about cancer shops.
Bob goes in yon,as i do fer school reunions, so ideal to ask her next time, possibly.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:55   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith Addison View Post
I shall take your advice and visit this very day. In anticipation of your good nature and generosity, I shall start a tab behind the bar for you - pie & peas and a couple of pints. If Cashy is in - I'm sure you will treat him too.

In fact I am in touch with a Macmillan employee /fundraiser. She is taking soundings for ne. One problem is that they do not have shops.
Old 06-10-2013, 20:40   #11
Full Member+

All the pound shops and not a charity shop something doesn't seem right
US Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 20:50   #12
Senior Member+

I have had confirmation from MacMillan that they don't have shops, and so cannot take advantage of a donation of books which will bring in around £5,000. However, Marie Curie's fundraisers are keen to accept, so I am pursuing that option.
Old 09-10-2013, 22:39   #13

This cause to me, if so overlooked guys. Ok, so its ok to collect for the sick and the elderly(we will all hopefully get there one day) but the cancer research and its funding winds me up no end! Done a run and a few other things on behalf of this charity but it dont even begin to scratch the surface!
GJWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 17:42   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJWatson View Post
This cause to me, if so overlooked guys. Ok, so its ok to collect for the sick and the elderly(we will all hopefully get there one day) but the cancer research and its funding winds me up no end! Done a run and a few other things on behalf of this charity but it dont even begin to scratch the surface!
I've made a monthly donation to the Christy for many years now, They worked wonders saving Joan's eldest back in the 90s
emamum and westendlass like this.
Old 25-11-2013, 16:44   #15

Hi Bob,

I am a Cancer Research UK Representivie in the area currenly organising Relay For Life Accrington. If I can help with you queery please let me know.

Last edited by Mick; 26-11-2013 at 07:03. Reason: advertising a charity against site rules
Relay For Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..