Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Community Talk General Hyndburn community chat.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-07-2008, 17:15   #1
Senior Member+

Chippy Opening Times

Do any chippys still open for a couple of hours dinner,tea & supper.Do any still have their prices on the mirror over the fryers?When i was younger used to go to Beccas & Gordons on Manchester road up Bash(cant remember her husbands name,Gordon was her son).Then it was Baz & Beryls (aka the Silver Fish,if my memory serves me well).Always chippy for tea on Fridays,but always open at lunchtime,tea & 8.30 till 10.30pm.11pm Friday & saturday.Basic choice of Hollands pies,puds.Fish,chips,peas,gravy,sausages,dabs.Poly tray & wooden fork extra.Curry sauce became available later & was crap.Any other s remember this or their own local chippys back when the chip shop was the only take-away.Basin & tea towel for puddings,eeh them wer't days.
Old 31-07-2008, 19:06   #2
Resting In Peace

Re: Chippy Opening Times

crowthers on whalley road,up oaklea was my local chippy, all they sold was fish chips and tripe no pies or puddings, Friday night was chippy night at our house
fish chips and a wet mixture.
tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 19:17   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

who remembers the only chippy in accy,ya could get Bangers @Mash in the cafe?
Old 31-07-2008, 19:29   #4
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
who remembers the only chippy in accy,ya could get Bangers @Mash in the cafe?
you got me on that one chashy Barnes st was one of the best but that was way back when we wer nowt but lads.
tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 20:56   #5
God Member

I lived in a chippy from 77 to around 82, loved it, was only a kid at the time but we opened dinner, tea and supper, dont think there were any other take aways then, maybe the odd Chinese, not sure but chippy tea was the thing to do and not too expensive in them days.
Old 31-07-2008, 21:34   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosh View Post
you got me on that one chashy Barnes st was one of the best but that was way back when we wer nowt but lads.
was "Percys" on Plantation street tosh, we used to call in fer supper in 63, when living at "Black Annies"
Old 01-08-2008, 10:52   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
was "Percys" on Plantation street tosh, we used to call in fer supper in 63, when living at "Black Annies"
Used to go in here for dinners when we were at tech cashy, there was a small cafe in the back, we used to call it the bob shop, because anything you ordered if this certain waiteress was on only cost 1 shilling, it didn't last that long but it as good whilst it did
Old 01-08-2008, 13:03   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Used to go in here for dinners when we were at tech cashy, there was a small cafe in the back, we used to call it the bob shop, because anything you ordered if this certain waiteress was on only cost 1 shilling, it didn't last that long but it as good whilst it did
yeh lost me there mate plantation st is off abbey st at the arden inn, the tech was up union rd ossy.
Old 01-08-2008, 20:07   #9
Super Moderator

I've said this before, but I still maintain that the best chippy in Accy...ever was Len's (corner of Ranger Street and Eden Street). Only ever did fish, chips and peas - no pies, puddings and as for curry sauce...forget it! Just a few crates of Tizer and packets of Park Drive in the corner. But his fish and chips had a taste like no other. As my mum used to say, "when Len died, the secret died with him." On Friday teatime, the queue stretched out of the door and up the street - a throng of expectant customers. including many clutching basins for their "mixture" (chips and peas mixed together). I can just taste them now!
Old 02-08-2008, 10:51   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
I've said this before, but I still maintain that the best chippy in Accy...ever was Len's (corner of Ranger Street and Eden Street). Only ever did fish, chips and peas - no pies, puddings and as for curry sauce...forget it! Just a few crates of Tizer and packets of Park Drive in the corner. But his fish and chips had a taste like no other. As my mum used to say, "when Len died, the secret died with him." On Friday teatime, the queue stretched out of the door and up the street - a throng of expectant customers. including many clutching basins for their "mixture" (chips and peas mixed together). I can just taste them now!
will second that n his were always the "Cheapest" think he did it fer the love more n the money.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:16   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Thanks Wynonie, I too went to Leonard's on Ranger St. My Gran lived at # 57, but alas, is no longer there. They pulled the top half of the street down years ago. I too remember Fridays, at the time we lived up SpringHill and my mum used to send us down with the basin for the "mixture"
joaner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:00   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaner3 View Post
Thanks Wynonie, I too went to Leonard's on Ranger St. My Gran lived at # 57, but alas, is no longer there. They pulled the top half of the street down years ago. I too remember Fridays, at the time we lived up SpringHill and my mum used to send us down with the basin for the "mixture"
My flat is roughly on the site of Lens chippy I remember it well.
Used to get 8pints at Springhill Club and Fish & Chips at Lens for 30 bob.
Must be getting old.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 05:33   #13
God Member

My Cockney work fellow was driving us to Accy some years ago..let's geta chippy I said.. drove all the way up from redcap to accy and no chippy open..told by the "locals" chippy's don't open on thursday".. then we wonder why the immigrants do good business!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..