Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Community Talk General Hyndburn community chat.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-04-2011, 19:12   #1
I am Banned

Coincidences

I think there was thread some time back about coincidences.
But can any body top this one
Retlaw
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sellers Bros.-08-18..JPG (160.6 KB, 55 views)
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-04-2011, 20:00   #2

Re: Coincidences

Amazing
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 09:11   #3
Resting in Peace

Well don't know about top it Retlaw, but something happened to me many years ago. I went on a cruise when I was nineteen and met a girl from Farnham in Surrey, after the cruise she actually came up here for a weekend, but the distance was a bit to far to carry on a relationship saw it faded. Twelve months later I was going on another cruise on the same boat, it was sailing from Southampton on Sunday night, and we were waiting at Waterloo Station for the boat train. Well Waterloo is a dead end station with all the gates in a line (quite a few really used to be about 25 or so. I was a bit bored so I decided to have a walk down concourse looking at the names over the gates, I look up and the sign said Farnham, when I looked back at the gate, the girl I had met 12 months earlier was walking through it, some coincidence
Old 17-04-2011, 10:32   #4
Senior Member+

A mate of mine went to London on a training course.On the first evening, some of the blokes decided to go 'into town' to a club. They caught the bus, and on approaching where they were getting off, the first one jumped off the bus before it stopped. He knocked down a chap standing in the queue to board the bus. He apologised and picked the bloke up. It was his uncle from Scotland down on a trip.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 10:49   #5
Resting in Peace

Another one that springs to mind was the time I was fitting a new ceiling at the Park WMC in Coventry back in 1972 I was on the scaffolding talking to a workmate and one of the members was waling passed, he stopped and said, by your accent I think you must come from Lancashire, I replied yes, where abouts he said I said near Accrington, He said ya me to he says I was born and bred in Ossy, so we talked for a few minutes and I found out he lived on Busk meadow St. He asked me my parents names, he just said I used to site next to your mother at St Mary's School small world ain't it
Old 17-04-2011, 11:37   #6
Beacon of light

A few years ago I went out to visit my sister in Brisbane.
During my stay we decided to take a trip on the City Cat...along the Brisbane River.
We were on the top deck enjoying the scenery. I cannot help eavesdropping and I heard the obviously Lancastrian accent, and turned around to see a middle aged chap talking to another guy on the boat........I asked him if he would take pictures of my sister, her daughter and I together.
This was a good ice breaker. I then remarked that his accent sounded like he lived in, or around Accrington. The chap was stunned. He lived up by the hospital and was out in Brisbane for some Rugby international.....he worked for, what was then, the Lancashire Evening Telegraph.
We passed a few minutes in conversation before we arrived at our disembarking point.
I didn't give the chap another thought.
Then about 4 years later I was in Aldi in accrington. In front of me was a chap with a green re-usable bag....I remarked that I bet he got that in Australia...he said that he had, and that while he was there it was strange to meet a young woman(I liked that bit) from Accrington on the City Cat....Yes, I said...that was me!
The spooky thing was I was wearing the same top and skirt......how's that for a coincidence?

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 17-04-2011 at 11:39.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 12:57   #7

Years ago while I was still living in England and engaged to a lad in the army, he gave me a letter to post, to a friend of his down south. I noticed it was for a girl because she had such an unusual surname 'Honey'.
Years after when I began working for Cosmos in Sicily, I was put under the charge of a girl with the same name. It took no more tha afew minutes to work out that she was the same Miss Honey to whom I had posted my boyfriends letter!
How about that for a coincidence
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 13:29   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

many years ago i worked at a small factory on dale st accy, about 50 employees, went on holiday to Salou, within 48 hrs of getting yon,had bumped into 2 employees wi wives, none of us were aware the others were going yon, fellas tended not to talk about such crap back then, left the firm late 70s, then about 8 years ago, was having a coffee in Torremolinos n one of those couples called in, as they had a hire car,we spent the rest of the day wi em, showing em around Andalucia.
Old 17-04-2011, 17:31   #9
Senior Member+

First posting after Trade Training in the RAF. Putting my gear away in the only empty bed space in the 24 man billet - chap comes in at cease work, chucks his gear on the next bed and said to me - "I know you, you were a couple of years ahead of me at the Grammar School." That was in 1962 and have recently been in touch with him again as typical of the Services, our paths diverged.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..