Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Community Talk General Hyndburn community chat.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Bob Dobson
  • 1 Post By Bob Dobson
  • 1 Post By Atarah
  • 1 Post By Bob Dobson

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-09-2011, 12:27   #1
Senior Member+

Lancashire Family History and Heraldry Society (L.F.H.H.S.)

Just to let folk know there is a meeting of the above society NEXT Tuesday i.e. 4th October in the upstairs room of Accrington Library. (7.15 for 7/30pm).

If you want to learn how to trace your own family history, this is the society to join.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-09-2011, 18:31   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Lancashire Family History and Heraldry Society (L.F.H.H.S.)

I will add to what Atyrah has said.....I thibnk anyone starting dfamioly history research would do well to join the asociety, even if for one year only. This gets your name into the society's magazine, which is read by all members. Your name interests, such as 'Hindles, Accrington 1850 onward' are shown in the mag, and if any other member also has Hindle ancestors, they will contact you. Your interests are recorded by an officer whose job it is to log interests. You get tjhe opportunity to joinj aYahoo forum which is internet-baseds via email and brings an ENORMOUS amount of help within hours.
You get to attend meetings in Accrington library once a month and often extra advice sessions too. You get to attend twice-weekly help sessions at the society's workroom/library in The Straits, Ossie. -all day Saturday and Thursday afternoons.
kriselk likes this.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 18:46   #3
Give, give, give member

Sounds good.

Am aiming to be there, all being well.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 19:15   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Sounds good.

Am aiming to be there, all being well.
Do androids have ancestral history?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 19:22   #5
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Do androids have ancestral history?
Never heard of her.

Is she one of the Laund Droids?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 19:24   #6
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Never heard of her.

Is she one of the Laund Droids?
No she's Data's cousin.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 20:10   #7
Senior Member+

Let's have some sense on here. I have a dislike of what I perceive to be personal jibes and to this extent, I try not to be vindictive (whilst not being prepared to have a joke at the expense of others) and I ask others to do the same.Not to do this risks losing some active posters. I remind you that this thread is about a local society which brings interest and pleasure to many.
Old 11-01-2012, 17:10   #8
Senior Member+

In the past year, the LFHHSociety's volunteers have added 1,046,518 entries to the website Lancashire Births, Marriages & Deaths (Lancashire BMD) and had an average of 5,655 visits per day to the site. This is a FREE site and a marvellous source of information. I mention it in the hope of getting anyone interested in family history to visit the society's website.
kriselk likes this.
Old 26-02-2012, 14:24   #9

You’re absolutely right there. I’ve seen and used their Lancashire BMD lists and they’re a big improvement on the original St. Catherine’s House Index.

It means that you can sit at your computer and find reference numbers for any Birth, Death or Marriage Certificate; send away on-line using that reference number and the certificate arrives through the post in about a week without you leaving your home. It’s great.

I’ll just explain a few points. The first Index – commonly called ‘The St. Catherine’s House Index’ was compiled in the head offices of Registrations in the London Government Department by a cleric each year.

The cleric would compile a national list from lots of local lists from all round the country – so it’s a list of lists – a long way from the originals. That’s where errors and omissions crept into the works.

LFHHSociety's volunteers went round to all the Local Registrar Offices and compiled new lists from the original certificates and gave them new reference numbers.

So now you can send locally for a certificate using the new reference numbers and still not leave your home.

Power to the Volunteers and the LFHHSociety.
pompeylass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 16:28   #10

I forgot to say that both the old London lists and the new Lancashire lists are available online.

You can compare one with the other, and even try to read the original cleric's handwriting.

The new lists have additional information that wasn't supplied on the old lists - mothers' maiden name on birth lists - age of the deceased on death lists - both partners on marriage lists - all of this information helps you to create your family history and all at only a click away.

Sheila
pompeylass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:06   #11
Junior Member+

Does the LFHHS still meet at the Accrington Library? I'm planning a visit to the area this summer (2014) and am looking for the best place(s) to do family history research and meet / talk with people who are familiar with this subject and area.
kriselk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:19   #12
Senior Member+

Hi, yep they do.
Lancashire Family History & Heraldry Society
When you come over, do come to our Museum in the Arndale (the shopping centre behind Marks & Spencers.
kriselk likes this.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:58   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriselk View Post
Does the LFHHS still meet at the Accrington Library? I'm planning a visit to the area this summer (2014) and am looking for the best place(s) to do family history research and meet / talk with people who are familiar with this subject and area.
You will get far better attention if you join the society and notify the local branch in advance of your attendance. Not only will the local sec be able to find if any other member is interested in your family, but maybe put someone on standby to deal with you. In addition, if you are in Acc on a Saturday or a Thursday, you may be able to attend - as a member only - the research room in Oswaldtwistle which the society opens on those days - see the website for which Saturday it is. There you will get one-to-one tutoring. I think that you will find that the cost of membership for a year will be repaid after one session. In addition, the society has a Yahoo forum, the members of which will bend over backwards to help you.
kriselk likes this.
Old 15-02-2014, 18:52   #14
Junior Member+

Hi Bob,
I was a member back in 2009 and 2010, received the quarterly books, etc. Just tried to access my account, but apparently my membership info has expired. So will join again. Thank you for the encouragement,
Kristin
kriselk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 11:15   #15
Senior Member+

Amazing that this thread was dormant for 2 yrs, 2012-14. It is still a society worth joining, particularly for those in and around Acc. who can attend the Straits in Ossie for personal tuition.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..