Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Community Talk General Hyndburn community chat.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Rowlf

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-12-2016, 17:06   #1
Senior Member+

Mrs Helen Barrett, librarian

Helen Barrett, for many years a local studies/history librarian in Accrington Library died from cancer in hospital a few days ago. Aged 72yrs, she retired 12yrs ago but continued to work in the field as a committee member for Hyndburn Local History Society. She was a huge help to researchers such as myself with her knowledge not only of this locality but the wider subject. Before coming to Accrington, she had been local history librarian at Bury. In later years, she had worked in tandem with Catherine Duckworth.
Accrington was the only library in the county to have its own dedicated local studies library and staff. It still is and the present librarian, has much to thank Helen and Cath for.

She was on the committee at St John's parish church and was prominent in saving the church from closure a few years ago. She had been a governor at St Christopher' School for many years.
In retirement, she had worked at the Haworth Art Gallery.
Helen's husband, Colin was a florist on the market band in Dutton St. Colin and their son Philp survive her.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-12-2016, 17:47   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Mrs Helen Barrett, librarian

Always sad to lose someone who had so much knowledge and the passion to share it and inspire and enlighten others.
Rest in Peace Helen...your fight is won.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 18:32   #3
Full Member+

Re: Mrs Helen Barrett, librarian

I did not know the lady personally but I can confirm that the staff in the local studies department have always been excellent. I was only in there this week and John Simpson was very helpful. I had a photo from late 20s or early 30s of a group of people one of which was my grandfather. I wondered who they were. Mr Simpson had not seen it before but said he would try and find out. That was Tuesday and low and behold Wednesday morning bright and early I had an email from him to say the group was the Guardians of Haslingden Poor Law Union taken on the day they were disbanded in Oct 1930. So Mrs Barrett has left her department in good hands. May she rest in peace.
cashman and Bob Dobson like this.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..