Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Community Talk General Hyndburn community chat.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2007, 01:17   #1
God Member

new accy website

coming soon.. nowt to do wiv me..
http://www.accringtonlife.com/
Old 07-01-2007, 19:22   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: new accy website

Again this is my site, but still working on it: hey how hard can it be :-)

will let you know when its up and running:

Magpie:

There will not be a message forum on the site, but I will point everyone here if that's ok:

Last edited by magpie; 07-01-2007 at 19:23. Reason: forgot to add something:
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 21:07   #3
God Member

You might want to think about reducing the resolution of the pictures on the market site - taking a long time to download and I have a fairly good system.

Just a suggestion.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 21:24   #4
God Member

first comment, On your market site, remove that stupid cursor modification.. I wanted to click away within oh, 2 seconds

Secondly, you are posting full size images and asking the browser to resize them. thats rubbish, have thumbnails that can be clicked through to full size images if necessary. Its very wasteful of bandwidth and generally annoys people

Third, you have a forum on the market site......... no mention of accyweb there AFAIKS

I'm guessing you know nowt about DDA..............................................

Not that simple these website thingys

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 22:23   #5
Resident Waffler

It might be worth noting that Magpie didn't open this thread to advertise the site but merely responded to the opening post. Perhaps Magpie has Roy's permission to put those links in the signature? When I had my Melaleuca button I did ask Roy first if it was OK to include it.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 23:05   #6
Len
God Member

There is a link to accyweb on the market site.
http://www.accringtonmarket.com/id18.html

In fact there are two because I put one there. So why don’t you's bob-in and say hello?
http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/p...ost?id=1617071

Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 07:54   #7
Resting in Peace

Thank you for all your comments: I did not come on here to advertise the site, you will see by my posts I made no comments about it, until I got permission and I also put a full link to this message forum not just a mention on our market forum.
It is not my intention to try and host another forum about Accrington, this one is by far the best, and I would recommend it to people with Pride:
The reason I set up the market web site was not only to make a few bob, but to try and best promote the market I do have the town's interest at heart: I figured that if I did not do it ,some out of town big promo company would step in purely for the money. I will keep the site up-dated with in hours of the light switch on there was a write up and a slide show on my site, so it will be an active site not just a traders directory.
I also hope to do the same with the Accrington Life one, yes of course I hope to make a few quid. Better someone born and bred in Accrington than some out of town company. It only costs £25.00 per year to advertise on the site and its not just a case of take the money and run. No payment is taken until the traders see their advert on the site and are happy with it. Most market traders are impressed with our service.
I feel that a good Hand's On Webmaster is what is needed to run a site, I have only recently started my own business and so far so good. Without taking the Mick and offering something in return we should all help each other on a local basis. Any non profit making club or service can have a page on the site for FREE. I will do my utmost to promote the town in a favourable light.
Points about the pictures taken on board, I will sort those out this week.

Apologies if I have unintentionally upset anyone.

Magpie:
Old 08-01-2007, 08:03   #8
God Member

its just willowthewhisp acting on behalf of the bleeding obvious party.. everyone can see I started the thread and you already said you had permission... I think she just needed to get her posting quota up... dont worry about it mate... and good luck with it.. the market one is a good idea
Old 08-01-2007, 08:13   #9
mez
God Member

i for one think its a good site showing accy market & such .....& at least they have a link back to us ....thanks magpie for an interesting site ..& i did take a look when you had posted the christmas light switch ...........good luck .
Old 08-01-2007, 08:16   #10
Resident Waffler

Actually Kipax I wasn't pointing out the obvious. A comment had been made here about there not being a link to AccyWeb on the market trader site and that there was a message forum on there. As Magpie has a sig link to the market site there was the possible implication that someone was trying to get free advertising for a rival site without reciprocating. I thought the thread was in danger of becoming a little "ant-magpie" and that was why I made the comment.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:29   #11
God Member

cant see one message or even a hint that it was becoming anti anything... your assumption that accyweb users are too stupid to see who started a thread is a little insulting dont you think... anyway.. the poor guy will be wondering whats going on... he seems to be doing quite well without you explaining his every move
Old 08-01-2007, 08:33   #12
Resident Waffler

I have apologised privately to Magpie.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:55   #13
Resting in Peace

no worries and no need for anyone to say sorry: I welcome all comments good and bad, its the only way to learn:

after my Christmas Crab post, I need to read before I write or something like that: still not lived that one down yet :-) :-)

Happy new year to you all....when we get a day with a clear blue sky, I hope to get lots of pics of Accrington on the site.... was going to do it today, but could not find the keys for my BOAT...
Old 08-01-2007, 12:10   #14
God Member

Magpie,
Just a bit of info, try running your site through a accessibility testing tool such as http://webxact.watchfire.com/

please please please remove that cursor thing though!!!!

Sorry if I caused confusion, I hadn't seen the link back to AW( I did post AFAIKS though )

Anyway, good luck and feel free to ask Qs, there are a few on here who will be happy to point you in the right direction. If you want us to critique work before its 'live' feel free to PM us URLS.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 14:40   #15
Resident Waffler

What cursor modifcation? I can't see anything unusual. What am I missing? What does it do?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..