Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Community Talk General Hyndburn community chat.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2005, 22:48   #1
Resting in Peace

No speed limit ?

The bit between bottom of Dill Hall lights and the roundabout leading on to Junction 7.
I'm bemused by the 'No speed limit' decision ... only very short and lots of bumps there. If you heading to the roundabout have to break as you come to the bend; the other way is an incline and traffic queued up as you go over it. I feel 50 miles per hour would be adequate. Doesn't make sense to me.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-11-2005, 22:50   #2
Member.

Re: No speed limit ?

Nor me, Good evening darling..........

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 23:07   #3
Resting in Peace

Sarcy b...er .... well, like I said Doug just now starting to look at the little things in our town.
Just observations and hope can do summat in my small way.
Do think it is rather dangerous though.
Old 06-11-2005, 23:28   #4
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
Sarcy b...er .... well, like I said Doug just now starting to look at the little things in our town.
You know I came one afternoon after 30 years away, I was so elated to be home and I was proud of the fact I was born there. I felt good about come home until I started to notice how much things had change. It was not so much the changes that affected me, but the neglect and the way people had seemed to have lost their pride. That was a first impression and I had to take account that I also had changed. Accrington people irrespective of race are generally kind, understanding and friendly; we have a heritage to be proud of and a right to have a brighter future, if only everyone would open their eye’s and look around more Kate…..then get motivated and do something positive.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 06-11-2005, 23:29   #5
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
Me sarcy, you don't know the half of it.....

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 07-11-2005, 07:54   #6
Resident Waffler

It's ironic that the other side of Dill Hall Lane, along Hyndburn Rd, the speed limit is 30mph.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 09:05   #7
God Member

Firstly it has a speed limit, its 70. secondly its a perfectly wide, safe dual carriageway that is only queued at rush hour. Why should it be 50? If you are paying attention to driving then there is no reason to restrict people to a lower speed limit. You can drive along there at whatever speed you choose up to 70. I would much rather see variable speed limits brought in so that it could be slower when wet/icy/foggy than on a perfectly clear day. It would also make people think about what the speed is on that day and that would hopefully make them concentrate more on their driving than playing with the radio/aircon/makeup/mobile etc
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:10   #8
God Member

Agree with entwisi on this one also as it is long and fairly straight it is easy to drive down but does need care at certain times. The variable speed limit due to conditions would be ideal there are too many idiots who still burn rubber in unfavourable conditions.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:16   #9
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
Agree with entwisi on this one also as it is long and fairly straight it is easy to drive down but does need care at certain times. The variable speed limit due to conditions would be ideal there are too many idiots who still burn rubber in unfavourable conditions.
The other idiots are those that go onto the dual carriageway and plant themselves in the right hand lane and then proceed to travel the full distance at 40m.p.h. thus causing queues of frustrated traffic and impatient drivers feeling the need to under-take.
If you want to travel at such a slow speed in a permitted area please, use the correct lane otherwise YOU will one day be the cause of an accident!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:11   #10
Member.

I agree with entwisi and less respectively. All too often I’ve made errors of my own by getting aggravated by people doing 30 or 40 in a 60 mile an hour zone, If the condition dictated common sense then fine, common sense prevails. But when people are eating at the wheel, sing, putting make up on, chatting, day dreaming or just being dam awkward they are putting others at risk…..

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 07-11-2005, 17:22   #11
Resting in Peace

I'm sure there are lots of reasons why this was granted a 70 m.ph. limit, and willing to listen, however, I know the road and know how quickly the bend comes up .. strangers may not, and think they are entering a long expanse of dual carriageway. Anyway, will try and find out the reason, if I can find the correct authority to contact. Anyone know ?
Old 07-11-2005, 17:32   #12
Resting in Peace

With regards to Dunk Way I have to drive along that road sometimes several times a shift and for my homeward journey.

When I am at work and the situation needs the use of Sirens and Lights a lot of users do pull to the left to allow passage (and thanks to those who do) but there are some that will keep their speed up and not allow us to overtake or even get into the left hand lane so that we can get onto the motorway slip road so we end up at the roundabout and then comes the "fun" (not fun can be dangerous) of having to cut accross their front to get onto the slip road.

Thankfully not had an accident there but have been to several and most of them have ended up on the embankment after failing to stop or slow down for the junction.

Am working tonight so will post tomorrow if I have had any problems on that strech of road.

Just a bit more info we tend to go that way as it is a smoother ride.
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 18:25   #13
God Member

I too drive the road quite often and I don't find it any problems at all. As I mentioned earlier if you are paying attention there is no 'hidden danger' It is a good clear stretch of road.

Some roads are dangerous. the crossroads at the Brit are crying out for changes. I'm not a big fan of speed cameras but a 30 limit with cameras on both approaches would be a big step forward in safety. I do hope that the family of that young lad get something sorted even if it is too late for them.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 18:59   #14
God Member

2 points on this thread:
1. this road was actually designed as a national speed limit rd but when they put up the lamp posts they spaced them wrong so technically it became a 30mph zone, there was a lot of arguments about this and the finally agreed to go ahead and let it be a national speed limit.
2. A lot of people complain about bends just before roundabouts, not just here but all over the country, reason there are bends there is to stop people from exiting the roundabout and ending up going the wrong way down a dual carrageway, therefore they would be a lot more dangerous if the bends were not there, if people read the road signs and road early enough and look a good distance ahead instead of just over the bonnet there shouldn't be a problem.

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 22:05   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H
2 points on this thread:
1. this road was actually designed as a national speed limit rd but when they put up the lamp posts they spaced them wrong so technically it became a 30mph zone, there was a lot of arguments about this and the finally agreed to go ahead and let it be a national speed limit.
2. A lot of people complain about bends just before roundabouts, not just here but all over the country, reason there are bends there is to stop people from exiting the roundabout and ending up going the wrong way down a dual carrageway, therefore they would be a lot more dangerous if the bends were not there, if people read the road signs and road early enough and look a good distance ahead instead of just over the bonnet there shouldn't be a problem.
Spaced 'em wrong !!!! So don't move the lamposts, lets think about the speed limit ??... am crying with laughter so much think might electrocute myself on me keyboard.

Understand perfectly re. bends coming up to roundabouts, just that this stretch of road seems to have more than its fair share of accidents (have no stastitics to hand though you understand). Only wondered if it were the 'national speed limit' that caused it. Go along twice a day and no problems myself, but I am aware that could be a little short for picking up speed, and then having to break quickly. Always accidents with lack of concentrating, not observant of signs,etc., all over the country. I care about the people who travel on my patch every day and if it is this, then will try and do summat about it.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..