Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Community Talk General Hyndburn community chat.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-11-2007, 15:49   #1
God Member

Plumbing emergencies!

Just noticed a google ad at the bottom of a thread for reactfast plumbing and heating emergencies, someone told me the other day (a plumber), he does work for these, (so they contract out a lot), the job took 40 minutes, reactfast told him he should have made it last another 20 minutes and charged another hour! Just thought it should be known!
derekgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-12-2007, 16:25   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Plumbing emergencies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
Just noticed a google ad at the bottom of a thread for reactfast plumbing and heating emergencies, someone told me the other day (a plumber), he does work for these, (so they contract out a lot), the job took 40 minutes, reactfast told him he should have made it last another 20 minutes and charged another hour! Just thought it should be known!
Is that not how all traders work, think of a figure then double it

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2007, 17:39   #3
God Member

Not where I work, my boss is more fair than anybody I have worked for in the past, including big companies like British gas.
Old 23-12-2007, 20:25   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Not where I work, my boss is more fair than anybody I have worked for in the past, including big companies like British gas.
Your boss uses a lucky bag then

British gas are one big joke. 2 weeks training and out on the road as a
qua
lified gas engineer

Albert Einstein.

Old 24-12-2007, 18:38   #5
Senior Member+

I work with a load of gas fitters/plumbers in my job so I am quite covered if anything goes wrong at home..parts at cost price and a pint as payment..and no call out charge !!

Last edited by glasgow guy; 24-12-2007 at 18:40.
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2007, 18:49   #6
God Member

My brother-in-law is a plumber so just a phone call gets any energencies sorted out
Old 24-12-2007, 18:51   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by park381 View Post
Your boss uses a lucky bag then

British gas are one big joke. 2 weeks training and out on the road as a
qualified gas engineer

BG is not quite like that yet, they train qualified people for 2 weeks before they send them on the road, it used to be to bring them up to BG standards, now it is as much to teach them sales techniques as anything else, because they have shareholders and pay commission. BG is definately not what it used to be, it has been far too easy for people to become corgi registered for years, it is changing, but still not stringent enough.
Old 25-12-2007, 07:23   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
BG is not quite like that yet, they train qualified people for 2 weeks before they send them on the road
BG used to send groups of new starters to stay for a week at the Swallow Hotel (Preston new road) they attended gas training courses at Blackburn College, the courses run by Stan the man. I don't know if they still do that, but all the BG new starteres were new to the trade and from every walk of life.

Albert Einstein.

Old 25-12-2007, 08:26   #9
God Member

Quote:
BG used to send groups of new starters to stay for a week at the Swallow Hotel (Preston new road) they attended gas training courses at Blackburn College, the courses run by Stan the man. I don't know if they still do that, but all the BG new starteres were new to the trade and from every walk of life.
Wow! That's bad, and worse than I thought, that will be why BG has really gone down in some peoples estimation, another result of this is, we get a lot of calls from people willing to work cheap, or for free because they need experience to get corgi in thier own right, trouble is, no loyalty, why would you create your own competition?
Old 25-12-2007, 09:22   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Wow! That's bad, and worse than I thought, that will be why BG has really gone down in some peoples estimation
That is very true. I know several people that have signed up with BG for their "Central Heating/Boiler Maintenance" and there are some real tales of woe, I know not all problems can be resolved at the first attempt, but to order and replace parts, as in process of elimination, until they have nearly rebuilt the boiler in finding the fault. Not very good

Albert Einstein.

Old 25-12-2007, 09:30   #11
God Member

We have a customer who got £560 back off them because they told her her boiler was obsolete when it wasn't, on average, we take a breakdown cover a week off BG, people are obviously getting wise to them.
Old 25-12-2007, 10:15   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
We have a customer who got £560 back off them because they told her her boiler was obsolete when it wasn't, on average, we take a breakdown cover a week off BG, people are obviously getting wise to them.
So what is your charge for breakdown cover, and what do you provide for that charge. Is all that subject to a site inspection of the boiler and system, the same as BG?

Albert Einstein.

Old 25-12-2007, 10:40   #13
God Member

It's on the website, but standard boiler £129, guaranteed visit within 2 hours, inspection required unless already on cover with somebody, full system cover with exception to the flue. Combi is £149, fires etc can also be covered.
Old 25-12-2007, 11:12   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
It's on the website, but standard boiler £129, guaranteed visit within 2 hours, inspection required unless already on cover with somebody, full system cover with exception to the flue. Combi is £149, fires etc can also be covered.
Not bad, a well designed website, one thing your website does not tell me is that the boiler is serviced to the manufacturers specification. Do you strip and clean the combustion chamber, and clean off the burner ass.?

Albert Einstein.

Last edited by park381; 25-12-2007 at 11:18.
Old 25-12-2007, 11:16   #15
God Member

Quote:
Not bad, a well designed website.
Thank you, I will tell the boss, though i'm sure she knows, she is pretty good at what we do!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..