Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Community Talk General Hyndburn community chat.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2009, 22:10   #16
Passed away 25-11-09

Re: Pollution of the river Hyndburn

The only Swanee I knew was the swamp/pond on Thwaites Rd. Was there a brook with the same name?
Accrington Web
Old 12-10-2009, 10:10   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
The only Swanee I knew was the swamp/pond on Thwaites Rd. Was there a brook with the same name?
I always knew the Brook as the Swanee West Ender, the swamp was always said to be dangerous and had quicksand in it, how true that was I never ventured to find out, next to Thwaites Road there were ruins of an old mill with the foundations filling up with water, which was a breeding ground for frogs, they were just masses of frog spawn around in spring
Old 12-10-2009, 12:24   #18
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I always knew the Brook as the Swanee West Ender, the swamp was always said to be dangerous and had quicksand in it, how true that was I never ventured to find out, next to Thwaites Road there were ruins of an old mill with the foundations filling up with water, which was a breeding ground for frogs, they were just masses of frog spawn around in spring
I'm with West Ender on this one.

The Swanee was the boggy pond.

The brook ran past it.

It enters Ossy from Knuzden, goes down Brookside, past Cocker's, then down White Ash, past Higher and Lower Twynch, running past where the dangerous Swanne was.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 15:42   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I'm with West Ender on this one.

The Swanee was the boggy pond.

The brook ran past it.

It enters Ossy from Knuzden, goes down Brookside, past Cocker's, then down White Ash, past Higher and Lower Twynch, running past where the dangerous Swanne was.
What I was saying Rindi was that when I was young I also knew the brook as the swanee too
Old 12-10-2009, 18:09   #20
God Member

I was going to reply to this with a statement something to the effect that there are a couple of hazardous landfill sites dotted around Church and as such there may well be some seepage into the river. I did a quick google on Wm. Blythes, because I know they process a few heavy metals. Look what's turned up:

Fine William Blythes Church - Google Search

I don't recall reading 'owt about this in either the Observer or the LT, but I suppose they missed it because Blyths HQ is down in Essex. Just a shame Blythes can't move their entire chemical plant down there.

Things could have been pretty nasty.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 18:25   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
I was going to reply to this with a statement something to the effect that there are a couple of hazardous landfill sites dotted around Church and as such there may well be some seepage into the river. I did a quick google on Wm. Blythes, because I know they process a few heavy metals. Look what's turned up:

Fine William Blythes Church - Google Search

I don't recall reading 'owt about this in either the Observer or the LT, but I suppose they missed it because Blyths HQ is down in Essex. Just a shame Blythes can't move their entire chemical plant down there.

Things could have been pretty nasty.
They dont want it in the green pleasant south. They would kick up a stink to leave it in Church. But if it was something they wanted they would get it whether we liked it or not. Mind you have seen Dippers feeding at the Bull Brig which must give hope.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 19:10   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
They dont want it in the green pleasant south. They would kick up a stink to leave it in Church. But if it was something they wanted they would get it whether we liked it or not. Mind you have seen Dippers feeding at the Bull Brig which must give hope.
Are you sure they weren't Japanese kamikazi dippers?

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 19:25   #23
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Are you sure they weren't Japanese kamikazi dippers?
The water in the Hyndburn flowing thro Accy is now clean enough to support wild life. Its after it leaves Accy when it get polluted again.

Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 19:38   #24
Senior Member+

Sometimes you impress me with your knowledge! Good answer Retlaw!

Atarah
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 21:38   #25
God Member

...and despite the pollution, there's trout and other fish to be found in the river down by the Dunkenhalgh. I wouldn't have 'em for my tea, though.
Old 12-10-2009, 21:49   #26
God Member

where does it pass under the canal ?, I'm thinking somewhere in Church. but can't find it on Google earth , seems most of it is channeled/culverted underground during its run thru Accrington and Church
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 22:07   #27
God Member

I too have been thwarted in attempts to track streams on google earth.
The vegetation on the banks obscures the water in many places and you find you have been tracking a hedge!

I live very near Tinker Brook and have strolled to it down the alottment tracks several times.
I would like to trace its origin physically but haven't the stamina.
Please will someone guide me where to look on google earth.

PS - cancel that request - found Jackhouse res - silly me

Last edited by MargaretR; 12-10-2009 at 22:14.
Old 12-10-2009, 22:21   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
where does it pass under the canal ?, I'm thinking somewhere in Church. but can't find it on Google earth , seems most of it is channeled/culverted underground during its run thru Accrington and Church
Right. Cast you mind back god knows how many years:

1) The Tinker comes down through Ossy and then runs parallel with Coach Road for about 100yds before it is culverted under the canal & Blackburn Road about 150yds West of the old Church Commercial/Hargreaves Warehouse/Church Traffic Lights. The Tinker at this point forms the border between Church & Ossy. The canal, by the way, precedes Blackburn Road in age. The river then turns West by Blythes.

It joins with the Aspen brook, is culverted again and emerges to join the Hyndburn just on the southern side of the M65 Motorway, which goes roughly in an East/West direction and slices through the Dunk estate.

2) The Hyndburn flows under the canal at Church by Peel Bank and then turns west to meet the Tinker, re;above.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 12-10-2009 at 22:23.
Old 12-10-2009, 22:27   #29
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Near Church Kirk.

Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 22:31   #30
God Member

For a spell of a few months (whilst a house I owned was renovated) I rented a semi in the northern corner of Laburnum drive. The back garden was too steep to venture down and there was a stream at the bottom- Priestley Clough I believe.
The noise of the water was very audible in the house, so there must have been quite a mass of water in it at times.
This stream is difficult to track at either end.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..