Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Community Talk General Hyndburn community chat.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-10-2009, 09:38   #31
Resting in Peace

Re: Pollution of the river Hyndburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
What I was saying Rindi was that when I was young I also knew the brook as the Swanee too
I'll correct that statement, was thinking about it last night and it came to me that we didn't call it the Swanee we called it Cocker Brook, maybe wasn't the right name but because it took waste from Cocker Chemicals
Old 13-10-2009, 10:56   #32
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
For a spell of a few months (whilst a house I owned was renovated) I rented a semi in the northern corner of Laburnum drive. The back garden was too steep to venture down and there was a stream at the bottom- Priestley Clough I believe.
The noise of the water was very audible in the house, so there must have been quite a mass of water in it at times.
This stream is difficult to track at either end.
The stream/river that comes down through Priestly Clough starts up above Stonefold, comes down alongside Northfield Rd, then under Manchester Rd near Bash Post office and down towards Shoe Mill and the cloughs.
Laburnum Drive is in Ossy nowhere near Priestly Clough,
that clough runs alongside the old rail line from Acc to Manchester.

Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 11:23   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
The stream/river that comes down through Priestly Clough starts up above Stonefold, comes down alongside Northfield Rd, then under Manchester Rd near Bash Post office and down towards Shoe Mill and the cloughs.
Laburnum Drive is in Ossy nowhere near Priestly Clough,
that clough runs alongside the old rail line from Acc to Manchester.

Retlaw
Thanks for putting that right for me - does the brook I describe have a name?

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 11:42   #34
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post

It joins with the Aspen brook, is culverted again and emerges to join the Hyndburn just on the southern side of the M65 Motorway, which goes roughly in an East/West direction and slices through the Dunk estate.
Thought it was White Ash Brook Tealeaf? Then it becomes known as Hyndburn Brook down on its way to meet the Calder .. down Great Harwood.

Have never seen where our river meets the Calder near the sewerage works.. is it accessable ? Anyone any 'photos ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 11:46   #35
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Thanks for putting that right for me - does the brook I describe have a name?
Its starts of somewhere round the top of Green Haworth, runs down behind Fern Gore, under High St, then between Laburnum and Pendleton, the disappears underground near Mayfield.
Can't find a name on the map.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 13-10-2009 at 11:48.
Old 13-10-2009, 11:53   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Thought it was White Ash Brook Tealeaf? Then it becomes known as Hyndburn Brook down on its way to meet the Calder .. down Great Harwood.
Are you on the pop again? Still, there's nowt wrong with the occaisional early start.

Look - the Tinker goes through Ossy, down by Foxhill bank, under Blackburn road, partially under Blythes, meets up with another stream from Ossy and then joins the Hyndburn by where the motorway cuts through the Dunkenhalgh estate. The Hyndburn continues on to join the Calder. Do I have to repeat myself?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 12:07   #37
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Are you on the pop again? Still, there's nowt wrong with the occaisional early start.

Look - the Tinker goes through Ossy, down by Foxhill bank, under Blackburn road, partially under Blythes, meets up with another stream from Ossy and then joins the Hyndburn by where the motorway cuts through the Dunkenhalgh estate. The Hyndburn continues on to join the Calder. Do I have to repeat myself?
No sweetypops . was just questioning the name of the other stream that joined Tinker Brook, you said Aspden Brook, thought it was called White Ash Brook (or was there another ? ) then met the Hyndburn down on its way to the Calder.

Would I query your expert local knowledge of this stream going through Oswaldtwistle ?
Old 13-10-2009, 12:15   #38
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Its starts of somewhere round the top of Green Haworth, runs down behind Fern Gore, under High St, then between Laburnum and Pendleton, the disappears underground near Mayfield.
Can't find a name on the map.

Retlaw.
Perhaps it was called Rothwell Brook Retlaw ... seeing as it started up around Rothwell Heights .... never know MargaretR !
Old 13-10-2009, 13:33   #39
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Perhaps it was called Rothwell Brook Retlaw ... seeing as it started up around Rothwell Heights .... never know MargaretR !
Actually does look like this stream was not named .. excerpt from a footpath application to L.C.C. :-

'A claim has been received for a footpath extending from a point on Larch Road, Oswaldtwistle, Hyndburn Borough, to the west of no. 14 Larch Road, via the eastern and western side of an un-named stream, to rejoin Larch Road at the same point, a distance of approximately 470metres, and shown between points A – B – C – D – E – F – B - A on the attached plan, (from and to GR 7500 2728) with a link to Public Footpath No. 347 Accrington, a distance of approximately 80 metres, and shown between points E – G on the attached plan, (GR 7505 2734 to GR 7509 2728), to be added to the Definitive Map and Statement of Public Rights of Way'
Old 13-10-2009, 14:45   #40
I am Banned

Quote:
Actually does look like this stream was not named .. excerpt from a footpath application to L.C.C. :-

'A claim has been received for a footpath extending from a point on Larch Road, Oswaldtwistle, Hyndburn Borough, to the west of no. 14 Larch Road, via the eastern and western side of an un-named stream, to rejoin Larch Road at the same point, a distance of approximately 470metres, and shown between points A – B – C – D – E – F – B - A on the attached plan, (from and to GR 7500 2728) with a link to Public Footpath No. 347 Accrington, a distance of approximately 80 metres, and shown between points E – G on the attached plan, (GR 7505 2734 to GR 7509 2728), to be added to the Definitive Map and Statement of Public Rights of Way'
Seems to start at a small lodge near Bottoms Farm, may be we should call it Bums Rush.
There is very little detail of the stream on large scale ordnance survey maps, but lower down there is a foot path named Lovers Walk.

Retlaw.
Old 13-10-2009, 14:53   #41
God Member

I have just googled 'unnamed streams' - seems it is by no means unusual.
Maybe they were given names when they were being used -eg for liquid waste disposal, or as a water supply, and this one never has been so used, and that maybe because its surface exposure is short lived and it is not near industry. Property adjacent is relatively new too

PS 'Bums Rush' it will now forever be

Last edited by MargaretR; 13-10-2009 at 14:56.
Old 13-10-2009, 20:46   #42

There seems to be quite a lot of confusion over the name of the stream that runs from Jacobs Lodge down past Fern Gore and behind Laburnum Drive through the old Paddock House school and into the lodges (now filled in) behind what was Rist's Wire. It has been established on this web (cant find the thread) that it was called Antley Syke and is named on an old map of Accrington. Though I have never heard it called by that name. The part of the stream that runs from High St./ Fern Gore Avenue down to Fairfield St., between Laburnum Drive and Pendleton Avenue was always known as Nelson's Clough, probably because the land belonged to Dunnyshop Farm and the farmer was called Nelson. Dunnyshop Farm was where Slaidburn Ave. and Kingston Ave. meet. From High St. upto the bottom of Broadfield Rd. it was known as "th'ironwater" because (this bit is an assumption) when they built the new houses on Broadfield Rd. there was a natural spring that was diverted and piped down and under the track that runs parallel to the stream and came out through a 12 inch iron pipe. This water ran at the same rate all year round and the stream bed had a reddish colour from that point on hence "th'ironwater". It did have a stange taste but it must not have been poisonous, I'm still here and so are the others that used to drink it. The part of the stream that runs behind Cartmell Ave. to Jacobs Lodge I can't remember it having a name.
Tetti
Tetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 22:54   #43
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetti View Post
There seems to be quite a lot of confusion over the name of the stream that runs from Jacobs Lodge down past Fern Gore and behind Laburnum Drive through the old Paddock House school and into the lodges (now filled in) behind what was Rist's Wire. It has been established on this web (cant find the thread) that it was called Antley Syke and is named on an old map of Accrington. Though I have never heard it called by that name. The part of the stream that runs from High St./ Fern Gore Avenue down to Fairfield St., between Laburnum Drive and Pendleton Avenue was always known as Nelson's Clough, probably because the land belonged to Dunnyshop Farm and the farmer was called Nelson. Dunnyshop Farm was where Slaidburn Ave. and Kingston Ave. meet. From High St. upto the bottom of Broadfield Rd. it was known as "th'ironwater" because (this bit is an assumption) when they built the new houses on Broadfield Rd. there was a natural spring that was diverted and piped down and under the track that runs parallel to the stream and came out through a 12 inch iron pipe. This water ran at the same rate all year round and the stream bed had a reddish colour from that point on hence "th'ironwater". It did have a stange taste but it must not have been poisonous, I'm still here and so are the others that used to drink it. The part of the stream that runs behind Cartmell Ave. to Jacobs Lodge I can't remember it having a name.
Tetti
You're right.

There was a thread, asking the name of that particular stream, started by the much missed Tinks.

Here it is.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...eam-22563.html

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 23:24   #44
God Member

What an entertaining thread that was - Thanks for finding it. - pity some of the links don't work now, but those Ossy mills maps show clearly-
Antley Syke - hoo'd a thowt it
Kate - how come you didn't remember after all the effort you made to find out back then?

Old 14-10-2009, 07:13   #45

Thanks John & Retlaw, My dad worked at Broad Oak for many years as a textile printer, always came home smelling of bleach & chemicals.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..