Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Community Talk General Hyndburn community chat.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-10-2009, 07:28   #46
Resting in Peace

Re: Pollution of the river Hyndburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Kate - how come you didn't remember after all the effort you made to find out back then?

Oh my goodness !!! THAT STREAM !! Don't know why I didn't remember it .. who could forget meeting Tinks and her entourage for the first time ! ..... guess my stupid head has swollen over the past few years ...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-10-2009, 09:28   #47
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Oh my goodness !!! THAT STREAM !! Don't know why I didn't remember it .. who could forget meeting Tinks and her entourage for the first time ! ..... guess my stupid head has swollen over the past few years ...
Or it could be, like most of us kate, your losing those little grey cells as you get older, unfortunately I'm losing mine quicker than most
Old 14-10-2009, 11:55   #48
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
PS 'Bums Rush' it will now forever be
Sorry Retlaw - champagne for the naming ceremony cancelled

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 11:59   #49
I am Banned

I think people are getting mixed up between the stream that Margaret and I were discussing, and Antley Brook.

Attached is the first recorded reference to Antley Brook,
from the Coucher Book of Kirkstall, this reference has been dated circa 1193.

Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coucher-Antley..jpg (339.0 KB, 14 views)
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 12:04   #50
God Member

I failed Latin GCE but can see the relevance of that document.
On looking at the map from Ossy Mills the brook I was referring to is described there as Antley Syke.
I am aware that historians distort the truth for their own reasons, so the only way to resolve this is to decide by consensus what we consider it ought to be named

Old 14-10-2009, 13:06   #51
I am Banned

[quote=MargaretR;753439]I failed Latin GCE but can see the relevance of that document.

Margaret, your lucky there were no GCE's when I left school, I knew nowt, all I got from the headmaster was the cane. Thats why I spent so much time in the library, learning, joined the library over sixty five years ago and still learning. Josie the librarian got all the latin dictionarys she could find, and I spent some hours translating it. Attached just or you is what I came up with.

Retlaw
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coucher-Antley.1.jpg (426.3 KB, 15 views)
Old 14-10-2009, 13:26   #52
God Member

Thank you Retlaw.....it is clear from that document that there is and was a brook named Antley, but because I am not familiar with the locations of the other landmarks specified I am not qualified to say whether the brook that passes Laburnum Drive is the same one mentioned in that ancient document.
I guess I am destined not to know unless I spend effort to find out.
I will just accept that your sound knowledge of local history is most likely to provide the right answer

Old 14-10-2009, 13:41   #53
God Member

I wonder how many of you recall that the original plans for Hyndburn Sports Centre, back in the 1970's, envisaged the main entrance as being facing the bottom of India Street, rather than facing Henry Street. The entire complex had to be rotated 90 degrees because the pool part would have rested over the Antley Syke just before it enters the Stink, which was deemed unacceptable.

The Sports Centre is therefore actually in Accy, with only the road entrance to, and part of the car park, being in Church, although HBC say it is in Church. That part of the car park which is now a part-time gypsy site is in Accy.

Last edited by Neil; 14-09-2011 at 07:50. Reason: *'s
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 13:35   #54
I am Banned

Margaret.

I've spent the morning in my 2nd home, and found an old map (1900) which shows where the Antley Syke comes above ground, the first showing was a well near Knowles buildings, (now gone) then the lodge near Bottoms Farm. I've coloured it in blue.

Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Antley Syke..jpg (481.3 KB, 28 views)
Judith Addison likes this.
Old 15-10-2009, 13:41   #55
God Member

Solved then - it is the one that passes by the corner of Laburnum Drive

Old 27-04-2022, 10:20   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Its starts of somewhere round the top of Green Haworth, runs down behind Fern Gore, under High St, then between Laburnum and Pendleton, the disappears underground near Mayfield.
Can't find a name on the map.

Retlaw.
I believe it starts (or finishes) at Jacob’s Lodge, between Rough Hey and the Bedlam area of Green Haworth (top of Willows Lane) and is called Antley Syke. I’m trying to find the owner of Jacob’s Lodge, which is not recorded at HM Land Registry. There is a bit of a “local dispute” going on, and a neighbouring land owner wants to try and claim it if the owner can’t be found. I’ve contacted Mr. Peter Hargreaves of former Moscow Mill (now Oswaldtwistle Mills) who still has the big sluice key hanging in his office, but he doesn’t know who owns the Lodge. Moscow Mill was originally built by the Walmsleys, who lived at Rough Hey at the time. Jacob’s Lodge was the mill lodge for Moscow Mill and possibly for other factories such as Steiners.
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..