Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Community Talk General Hyndburn community chat.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-09-2009, 13:51   #1

Pollution of the river Hyndburn

Does anyone know who is polluting Tinker Brook? I took this picture where Tinker brook enters the river Hyndburn just under the Motorway bridge nr the Dunkenhalgh. It runs nice and clear up in Oswaldtwistle, yet appears down here very sickly looking. The river looks ill. I have noticed it a few times this year running this colour.
Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-10-2009, 15:29   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Pollution of the river Hyndburn

Yuk Rocky ... suggest you forward to the relevant body responsible for sorting out pollution problems .. somebody will find it for you ... LOL.

By the way, you weren't going up the Coppice the other day on yer bike were you ? The day of the Centenary ? Someone passed as I was on the way down with just that gear on ... bit hot and bothered, but still with a big smile on his face.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 15:40   #3
God Member

I notice the infestation of Himalayan Balsam
Himalayan Balsam, recognition and eradication
A large succulent, annual introduced in 1839 to Kew Gardens as a greenhouse plant, it escaped to the wild, now naturalised in the British Isles and many other non-native countries - it is very invasive and should be removed when found.

If you see this plant, destroy it, preferably before it seeds in October

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 16:49   #4
Resting in Peace

Well spotted Margaret ... although I 'aint paddling through that water to pull up those plants ... after you ....
Old 04-10-2009, 16:49   #5
Give, give, give member

As you say, it certainly doesn't look like that, further up it's course in Ossy.

There's a telephone nember on this link, which allows you to report river pollution, and hopefully have it investigated.

Environment Agency - Contact us

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 16:57   #6
Senior Member+

is the river hyndburn what some call 'river stink' ?
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 18:54   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
is the river hyndburn what some call 'river stink' ?
Oh dear, is it never going to shake off this name ... yes, Restless .. but it is OK now.

Do you think could be some type of fertilizer ?
Old 09-10-2009, 06:36   #8

It was always that colour when I was a kid. And boy did it stink, sorry Kate. It was a long time ago.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 13:18   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
It was always that colour when I was a kid. And boy did it stink, sorry Kate. It was a long time ago.
It did Alan .. remember it well, mixture of rotting rat corpses and chemicals, but honest, has been cleaned up.
Old 09-10-2009, 18:26   #10
Give, give, give member

It's probably a good thing the powers that be weren't in charge when the old Urban Councils were amalgamated in 1973. Otherwise we'd probably be paying our council tax today to Stink Borough Council.

Though I'm sure the Duke of Kent wouldn't have needed to ask where it was.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:34   #11
Resting in Peace

The worst polluted brook in my youth was the Swanee, Cockers used to use it to run of their water after doing any cleaning, it stunk of TCP, all the stones were white and loads of frothy bubbles were always flying about, weren't reght good for fishing either
Old 11-10-2009, 05:37   #12

TCP, havent heard of that for yonks, what does TCP stand for John. Remember the smell though. IZAL toilet paper , Is it still in production, A bit hard on the bum, Also a question, where does the Hyndburn start and end.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:40   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
TCP, haven't heard of that for yonks, what does TCP stand for John. Remember the smell though. IZAL toilet paper , Is it still in production, A bit hard on the bum, Also a question, where does the Hyndburn start and end.
TCP Alen now let me see Trichlorophenylmethyliodosalicyl plays havoc with the spell check I can tell you (I googled it by the way, I'm no boffin) as for Hyndburn its boundaries are Blackburn, Rossendale, Riddle Valley and Burnley in the main. Well I never my spell check actually picked TCP up, must have copied a letter wrong

Last edited by jaysay; 11-10-2009 at 09:45.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 18:06   #14
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
The worst polluted brook in my youth was the Swanee, Cockers used to use it to run of their water after doing any cleaning, it stunk of TCP, all the stones were white and loads of frothy bubbles were always flying about, weren't reght good for fishing either
I don't know the name of that brook, but when I a was young it was bright orange, after it had passed Cocker's.

Upstream it was lovely and clean.

It's amazing how industry was guilty of so much pollution, for so long a time.

Old 11-10-2009, 21:49   #15
I am Banned

Quote:
TCP, havent heard of that for yonks, what does TCP stand for John. Remember the smell though. IZAL toilet paper , Is it still in production, A bit hard on the bum, Also a question, where does the Hyndburn start and end.

The river Hyndburn is just the joining of Warmden Water and Woodnook Water, they meet under Cross St, in Acc at the Black Abbey St end. Woodnook Water comes under the old Ritz Cinema across Church St, down the bottom of Black Abbey St and curves to go along Cross St. Warmden Brook, comes down through Broad Oak factory, crosses Manchester Rd just past the end of the old Fire Station, curves right and runs under the pavement down Grange Lane, till it joins the other river.

The reddish colour to the Hyndburn mostly came from the Turkey Red Factory up Baxenden, which ran in a steel pipe till it got past all the mills on Victoria St.
The other colours came from the dye houses in Broad Oak Factory.
The river Stink ends when it meet the Calder.
Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 11-10-2009 at 21:51.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..