Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Community Talk General Hyndburn community chat.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-08-2008, 12:41   #1
Resting in Peace

Sainsburys

Feel rather saddened by this report, would have preferred this option rather than the Tesco plan.

Sainsbury's may pull out of Accrington town centre plan (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Think would have been better situated for access to other shops and the new proposed site for the bus station, and encourage more tenants to the Arndale centre; there are/will be plenty of Tescos around us, Sainsburys, at least, does give us a slight more variation. Ok, you say more expensive, not always actually ... the food section at M & S is always busy, and can't get any more expensive than their products.

katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-08-2008, 12:54   #2
God Member

Re: Sainsburys

more teh merrier for me, we occasionally pop into Burnley sainsbury but do most of our shopping at Tesco at teh moment

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2008, 13:10   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
more teh merrier for me, we occasionally pop into Burnley sainsbury but do most of our shopping at Tesco at teh moment
Looks like a case of 'one or t'other' though.
Old 21-08-2008, 13:49   #4
God Member

I simply do not understand how Tesco was given the go ahead in the first instance. Every other town in England has now woken up to the damage that this company does when it opens up an outlet and in Accy's case this will be an awful lot. It really makes you wonder on what basis the decision was arrived at.Tesco's normal modus operandi involves a mixture of bribes and threats when outline planning permission is sought and any decent council can easily hold these off.

In Hyndburn's case, however, it appears that Britcliffe and his gang had full conivance from the opposition in pushing this through. Why this exercise in economic hari kari, I simply do not know. The town centre will shortly be a wasteland. Still, there are always a few idiots around who get their thrills from pushing wire baskets around sterilised chicken sheds so I suppose some will be happy.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2008, 17:31   #5
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Its a wonder Morrisons havent stuck their beak in

I for one want a supermarket in Ossy...
Old 21-08-2008, 19:35   #6
God Member

It's all about the big picture.

Deciding whether or not you want a Sainsbury's or a Tesco shouldn't be based just on the sort of supermarket that you want.

Other things need to be taken into consideration - for example, if Tesco goes ahead then extra money will be put into the town, the bus station will be moved and the Pennine Rapid Transit route will be put in - with just that side of the argument put forward most people don't want it. However, if the bus station moves the place where the bus station is now will be converted into a large public square, much like Broadway once was (look at the pics of the sunken gardens) and that part of town will probably all be pedestrianised.

If however, you want the Sainsbury option you probably get the Arndale refurbished and more input at that side of town whilst the shops on Blackburn Rd get neglected. Sainsbury will probably put money into the town as well.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2008, 19:43   #7
God Member

Why should we decide based on which is going to help teh council 'refit' parts of town?

Teh council have let Accy decompose slowly and terminally.

I don't particularly care who gets in, Tesco is my preferred choice but I am not that bothered either way.

Do I want bus lanes? NO

Do I think ripping up pavements teh length of ossy and accy will do anytihng positive? NO

Is it some propangada to say 'look we are being green by investing in buses?' YES

Just like the goverment itself its all "green" this and "green" that when in reality they haven't a clue. Take the Prius Mayors car. there isn't a more polluting car on teh planet than that monstrosity.

Last edited by entwisi; 21-08-2008 at 19:45.
Old 21-08-2008, 20:01   #8
God Member

Because there is a town centre masterplan and everything should be taken in context of the whole plan - not just Tesco or Sainsbury's.

Old 21-08-2008, 20:15   #9
God Member

and we have a choice in it how? the council will and have shown on many occasions that people power means nowt.

lets be honest, Accy is a low wage town, is sainsbury or tesco a better choice? the latter IMHO.

In 10 years time whichever happens will we be on Accyweb saying "oh, it was such a mistake they made back then?" NO, we will live with and adapt to whatever happens as humans have done since time began. Its called evolution and happens whether you like it or not. In fact if teh council get it wrong it would be more damaging, imagine if say sainsbury get in, no one shops there and it shuts due to being uneconomical. yet more death on the shopping streets.

In these days of "credit crunch", people are cost concious more than ever, its a fact of life.

Old 21-08-2008, 20:27   #10
God Member

I'm not disagreeing with you Entwisi and no doubt things will move on. All I'm saying is that the Council shouldn't just go with whichever one gives the initial boost etc - it should be whichever one that fits in best with the overall plan that is chosen!

Old 21-08-2008, 20:46   #11
God Member

Tesco will ding dank doo for me, as long as they bring petrol to help drive the price of fuel down in Accy. Diesel at Burnley Tesco is 5p a litre cheaper than round here............saying that i like Sainsburys as well.......oh what the hell lets have `em both........
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2008, 22:05   #12
Resting in Peace

The way that I see it is :-

• Didn't think the bus station had anything to do with Tesco's All part of the Masterplan.
  • Would be easy to pop across the road from bus station for people not having their own transport.
  • Like the idea of the old bus station being made into an open square, much better than the bus station, badly designed at the moment.
  • Sainsbury's would help to bring our Hyndburn people back into town. e.g Great Harwood: they will probably get their own Tesco, so having a Tesco in Accy would not entice them, but a Sainsburys would now and then. Clayton-le-Moors: I visit Burnley Sainsburys, but would definitely go into our own town should they have one there. If I wanted Tesco (as if) .. would go up to Great Harwood. Rishton: Easier to go to Tesco in Blackburn than Accy, but a Sainsburys would invite them into town. Huncoat: They probaby would still find it just as easy to go to the Burnley Tesco, but think would be tempted into our town to Sainsburys, etc, all in all, more of our own people coming into the centre.
  • Could even invite Blackburn shoppers into Accy, as no Sainsburys near.
  • If Sainsburys has an exit into the Arndale, then more people would pass through, and hopefully visit other shops, forwarding onto the Market Hall and Blackburn Road. Hopefully, this would encourage other tenants to the Arndale.
  • Blackburn Road ... what difference would a Tesco in Eagle Street make to this area anyway ? People would just go home after visiting this store.
  • Just because I prefer Sainsburys over Tesco ... Would still alternate with Asda though, as I do now.
Well, some of my thoughts anyway and will not be visiting a Tesco if it comes to Accrington ... goods now are too bland and boring, probably will be decided on the 1.5 million bribe.
Old 21-08-2008, 22:52   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

have to say, done the main shop at tesco fer years much prefer it to asda, the veg are much preferable to asdas. tried sainsburys on monday fer the first time, n prefer that to tesco, though will not go back much cos its in Burnley, so of the two projects fer accy, i would if pushed say sainsburys, i would certainly use it, n tend to think, after visiting burnleys, many would. agree the bus station is a shambles, but whats that got to do with tesco going on eagle st? its a separate matter n wants sorting anyway.
Old 22-08-2008, 20:09   #14
God Member

[quote=cashman;622018]have to say, done the main shop at tesco fer years much prefer it to asda, the veg are much preferable to asdas.quote]

Thats the main reason we go to Tesco, saying that as a family with young kids the Tesco Clubcard Deals are a Godsend , free days out, free theme park tickets and free meals......you can`t turn that down.
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 21:01   #15
God Member

I actually prefer the idea of a Sainbury's to a Tesco for Accrington - especially as I'll be getting a Tesco at the top of my road so definitely won't be travelling into Accy as well.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..