Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Community Talk General Hyndburn community chat.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-01-2010, 00:57   #1
Senior Member+

TESCO - new site in Accrington.

Thanks to GypoDec for pointing out to us that "activity" has started on the old college site, near the Railway Station. Its hard to see the full extent of the site as you have to "peep" through "fencing" on the railway station side. The site is MASSIVE, it will be an eye opener when we get to see the whole site cleared.
The first photo is an old view. I have tried to mark the approx. site to give members an idea of where it covers.
The other photos were taken 20th Jan, 2010
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oldphoto.jpg (338.7 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg 1Wed20thJan2010_18.jpg (288.1 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg 2Wed20thJan2010.jpg (495.2 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg 3Wed20thJan2010.jpg (480.9 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg 4Wed20thJan2010.jpg (167.2 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 5Wed20thJan2010.jpg (226.2 KB, 67 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-01-2010, 03:07   #2

Re: TESCO - new site in Accrington.

Thanks for the pics Atarah,.. there pulling it down fast, theyd only just started when i saw it.

And..... Dare i say it,..... LOOK AT ALL THAT SCRAP METAL !! haha
GypoDec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 03:35   #3
God Member

lol i cant wait to see how bad blackburn road gets for traffic jams after this is completed yu can barely get past as it is becaue of illigaly parked cars so throwing in extra traffic from tescos isnt going to make things any better

the tescos in ozzy has already cause huge problems but big companies dont seem to have any problems getting things approved by councils, the new one is osy has seen a quiet lane safe for locals to walk down into a double parks speed track and exiting the place is an accident waiting to happen infact a few accidents have occured already

is this one going to be a full sized tesco or one of those mini tesco stores that arnt cheaper than any other shop on the high street

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 21-01-2010 at 03:40.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 10:11   #4
Senior Member+

is this one going to be a full sized tesco or one of those mini tesco stores that arnt cheaper than any other shop on the high street.

All systems go for new Tesco - News - Accrington Observer
Bear in mind, this is dated Sept 2008.

Going off the size of what can be seen already, I would say its going to be a mega massive one! Good comments you posted accyman about traffic problems. The obvious move will be to make an entry/exit on Scaitcliffe Street as well as on Eagle Street, but with both of these having to get out onto Blackburn Road it must cause terrible traffic problems.
Old 21-01-2010, 10:41   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypoDec View Post
Thanks for the pics Atarah,.. there pulling it down fast, theyd only just started when i saw it.

And..... Dare i say it,..... LOOK AT ALL THAT SCRAP METAL !! haha
So we can take it that you'll be round with your horse and cart them Dec
Old 21-01-2010, 11:44   #6
Full Member+

What mystifies me is which route will HGV's take to deliver to the store ? Surely Blackburn Rd - Eagle st is not an option, Scaitcliffe st possibly but would they get under the railway bridge ? The only other option I can see is via Eastgate/Manchester Rd and along Grange Lane. Anyone got a clue ?
Reamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 12:18   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Haha i myt pop round and lets say,...... Offer to take it off there hands lol

Me poor horse couldnt shift that anyways lol Id need tha transit !!
Old 21-01-2010, 12:33   #8
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reamer View Post
What mystifies me is which route will HGV's take to deliver to the store ? Surely Blackburn Rd - Eagle st is not an option, Scaitcliffe st possibly but would they get under the railway bridge ? The only other option I can see is via Eastgate/Manchester Rd and along Grange Lane. Anyone got a clue ?

No, it would be along Wellington St instead of Grange lane. Got my streets mixed up
Reamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 13:50   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
hey in 60s, would have hired one from trelfalls down clayton n nabbed it meself.
Old 21-01-2010, 15:17   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
hey in 60s, would have hired one from trelfalls down clayton n nabbed it meself.
Haha we'll go halfs on the profits Cashman
Old 21-01-2010, 15:21   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reamer View Post
No, it would be along Wellington St instead of Grange lane. Got my streets mixed up
well unless blackburn road starts following UK traffic laws and not pakistans i dont think the store will do to well because people will find it much easier to go to asda or drive the extra to blackburn tesco or haslingden tesco if they dont fancy asda unless part of the deal for bringing a tesco to accrington is that the council and teh police do somthing about it and not simply shrug its shoulders and give up trying to enforce the law down there like they did before

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 21-01-2010, 15:33   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
well unless blackburn road starts following UK traffic laws and not pakistans i dont think the store will do to well because people will find it much easier to go to asda or drive the extra to blackburn tesco or haslingden tesco if they dont fancy asda unless part of the deal for bringing a tesco to accrington is that the council and teh police do somthing about it and not simply shrug its shoulders and give up trying to enforce the law down there like they did before
well theres one here that drives to blackburns, but will certainly use accy tesco.
Old 21-01-2010, 15:38   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
well theres one here that drives to blackburns, but will certainly use accy tesco.

yeah but you could polevault to accy's nevermind drive ,if you lived on avenue parade for example it would be a lot less hassle to got to haslingdens tesco even though its twice as far if not three times the distance to travel

im not counting tesco express stores because they arnt cheap infact an item at ossy tesco that cost 54p is 98p at the accy tesco express and when i asked why its because ossy tesco has more competion so they make prices cheaper there which to me is wrong as each store shoud have teh same price throughout its range and prices shoud not be based on what they think they can get away with charging in one particular area over another

Last edited by accyman; 21-01-2010 at 15:43.
Old 22-01-2010, 23:23   #14
Senior Member+

Can I just pass on this info. By chance, as I was walking into the Reference Library (which has a new name, cant remember it though) I spotted a large map on the wall by the entrance door. Its dated 1892 and just happens to be more or less about the EXACT area where the new Tesco is gonna be. Its just an ABSOLUTE COINCIDENCE its on the wall. It proves that the site of Tesco is .. absolutely bang on the site of all the track and buildings etc of our lovely old Accrington railway station. It shows where the waiting rooms were, the parcels office, the refreshment rooms. It shows where the Goods Shed was, behind the wall which now faces the front of The Globe centre.
Pop in and have a look, its rather interesting.
Old 22-01-2010, 23:45   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Can I just pass on this info. By chance, as I was walking into the Reference Library (which has a new name, cant remember it though) I spotted a large map on the wall by the entrance door. Its dated 1892 and just happens to be more or less about the EXACT area where the new Tesco is gonna be. Its just an ABSOLUTE COINCIDENCE its on the wall. It proves that the site of Tesco is .. absolutely bang on the site of all the track and buildings etc of our lovely old Accrington railway station. It shows where the waiting rooms were, the parcels office, the refreshment rooms. It shows where the Goods Shed was, behind the wall which now faces the front of The Globe centre.
Pop in and have a look, its rather interesting.
thanks atarah will pop in on monday n have a good sneck.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..