Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Community Talk General Hyndburn community chat.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-05-2008, 22:42   #1
Resting in Peace

The Coppice Shelter

Covered in many threads I know, but seems that in the planned Peel Park revamp, the shelter is earmarked for removal.

A lady, Beverley Wilkins, is struggling in a one-woman fight to save this shelter. (Observer report)

Now, I have fond memories of this building, and would not like to see it go, as is lovely to sit there for a while when walking along the summit of our beloved hill.

It is a little decrepit, and not too sentimental at it being pulled down, as long as it can be replaced or modified dramatically.

Don't like to think that only one person cares about this . wondered if anyone was willing to support her.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-05-2008, 12:24   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: The Coppice Shelter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Covered in many threads I know, but seems that in the planned Peel Park revamp, the shelter is earmarked for removal.

A lady, Beverley Wilkins, is struggling in a one-woman fight to save this shelter. (Observer report)

Now, I have fond memories of this building, and would not like to see it go, as is lovely to sit there for a while when walking along the summit of our beloved hill.

It is a little decrepit, and not too sentimental at it being pulled down, as long as it can be replaced or modified dramatically.

Don't like to think that only one person cares about this . wondered if anyone was willing to support her.
Does seem a shame that its being pulled down, as you say it brings back lots of memories, I fondly remember, ah better not go there
Old 24-05-2008, 12:34   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

does seem sad, but it sure as hell needs a re-vamp, think they would do better though to remove those bloody trees.
Old 25-05-2008, 12:02   #4
Loz

Haha, the old bus shelter, skived from School there a few times. Good times. It's part of the coppice, they should leave it be.
Old 26-05-2008, 18:09   #5
Senior Member+

They are looking at possible renovation of it and looking into it's " heritage" status at the moment so I wouldn't hold my breath on it being demolished any time soon.
Old 26-05-2008, 18:29   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
They are looking at possible renovation of it and looking into it's " heritage" status at the moment so I wouldn't hold my breath on it being demolished any time soon.
Thanks Lindsay, not living in Peel Park ward have no details, but will try and get in the Library next week to view proposals.

Understand may be a little shakey, and wouldn't like to see anyone get hurt, but if they can ensure safety aspect, then that will be great.

Like Cashy .. have many memories ...
Old 26-05-2008, 18:35   #7
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

I remember the shelter as a kid, after walking up the top of coppice, but for some reason i never went in it!
think most people use it as a toilet these days
Old 03-06-2008, 23:14   #8
Senior Member+

There are two Coppice Groups. REMADE which is the one people know about funded by Govt Office NW through LCC. The second is the Peter Britcliffe monument 2009 celebration aniversary group. I think Gayle is involved with the latter. I am only involved with the former. The 2nd, TPBMCG, are proposing to demolish the shelter I am led to believe. The former have made no decisions on their masterplan. Mrs Wilkins is confused a little and keeps associating the demolition with REMADE which is misleading.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 23:21   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
There are two Coppice Groups. REMADE which is the one people know about funded by Govt Office NW through LCC. The second is the Peter Britcliffe monument 2009 celebration aniversary group. I think Gayle is involved with the latter. I am only involved with the former. The 2nd, TPBMCG, are proposing to demolish the shelter I am led to believe. The former have made no decisions on their masterplan. Mrs Wilkins is confused a little and keeps associating the demolition with REMADE which is misleading.
Cheers Graham, the Observer report appeared a little puzzling after Garinda and I visited the library to look at the proposals, which just seemed to imply that the LCC were looking at remade/maintained.

Last edited by katex; 03-06-2008 at 23:24.
Old 03-06-2008, 23:50   #10
Give, give, give member

Yes from the display in the Library, re: the plans for the Peel Park area, it appears that the shelter is to be maintained, and repaired.

All to be applauded.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 23:55   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Yes from the display in the Library, re: the plans for the Peel Park area, it appears that the shelter is to be maintained, and repaired.

All to be applauded.
Oh yeh, 'repaired' .. that was the word ... knew it began with an 'r'. Good job, someone pays attention...
Old 04-06-2008, 00:00   #12
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Oh yeh, 'repaired' .. that was the word ... knew it began with an 'r'. Good job, someone pays attention...
It nearly didn't rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroll of my tongue either.

Nearly wrote refurbished, which makes it sound as if it's going to get plush velveteen seats and a mirror ball...but it was definitely repaired.

Old 04-06-2008, 00:06   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
It nearly didn't rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroll of my tongue either.

Nearly wrote refurbished, which makes it sound as if it's going to get plush velveteen seats and a mirror ball...but it was definitely repaired.
Now, there's an idea ! At least wouldn't get bench burns anymore ..LOL.

Whoops sorry to bring the tone down on what is a serious subject.
Old 12-06-2008, 16:38   #14
Resting in Peace

R.I.P. Coppice shelter ... Thanks for the memories ..

See they have bulldozed it ... ah well, suppose if it wasn't safe.
Old 12-06-2008, 16:54   #15
Give, give, give member

Quote:
R.I.P. Coppice shelter ... Thanks for the memories ..

See they have bulldozed it ... ah well, suppose if it wasn't safe.

Is that's whats meant by 'repaired and made safe'.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..