Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Community Talk General Hyndburn community chat.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-01-2011, 15:49   #1
Senior Member+

The rising price of Petrol

Had this e-mail sent to me today, thoughts anyone

I dont know that it will make much impact - most of the cost is taxes - but the big companies can afford it.

Hey! let's try it and see, what have we got to lose.....

Please see what you think and pass it on if you agree with it.

We are hitting £1.30 a litre in some areas now and soon we will be > faced with paying £1.50 per litre.

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the 'don't buy petrol on a certain day campaign' that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work.>
Please read it and join in!
Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP, we need to take aggressive
action to teach them that BUYERS - not sellers control the market place. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not purchasing
their petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. Here's the idea:
For the rest of this year DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two biggest oil companies (which now are one) i.e. ESSO and BP.
If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will
have to follow suit. But to have an impact we need to reach literally millions of Esso and BP petrol buyers. It's really simple to do!!
Now, don't wimp out on me at this point... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!
I am sending this note to a lot of people. If all of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)....and those 300 send it to at least
ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on. By the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE
MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted!
If it goes one level further, you guessed it.....
THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!
Again, all YOU have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all (and not buy at ESSO/BP). How long would all that take? If each of us sends
this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!!
Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on.
PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy your petrol
at Shell,Asda,Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons, Jet, etc. i.e. boycott BP and Esso

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-01-2011, 16:03   #2
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: The rising price of Petrol

How can we be sure we aren't buying their fuel, (I Use Diesel which is already £1.30) when we use, Asda,Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons, or do these companies all have their own refineries now?

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 16:17   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
How can we be sure we aren't buying their fuel, (I Use Diesel which is already £1.30) when we use, Asda,Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons, or do these companies all have their own refineries now?
That's a fair point Less, not able to answer that, but you must agree there may be something in it, if Asda, Tesco & Sainsburys are buying from BP and Esso, they are buying and selling cheaper than we can buy at BP or Esso so if we all use the supermarket's for petrol or diesel, the big 2 are not going to sell as much at their petrol stations. The idea may work.

Albert Einstein.

Old 19-01-2011, 16:34   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by park381 View Post
That's a fair point Less, not able to answer that, but you must agree there may be something in it, if Asda, Tesco & Sainsburys are buying from BP and Esso, they are buying and selling cheaper than we can buy at BP or Esso so if we all use the supermarket's for petrol or diesel, the big 2 are not going to sell as much at their petrol stations. The idea may work.
Come back when you've googled, we can't have flaws in the Master Plan, if I'm going to go miles out of my way wasting precious fuel, I don't want to find out later that I wasn't boycotting them but also wasting time, (more precious than fuel).

Old 19-01-2011, 16:44   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Come back when you've googled, we can't have flaws in the Master Plan, if I'm going to go miles out of my way wasting precious fuel, I don't want to find out later that I wasn't boycotting them but also wasting time, (more precious than fuel).
Sorry Less not got time to google to busy with answering posts on here , you carry on using Asda, you could have used Tesco Accrington if they had a petrol station, may be that will come later, we will need to keep a check on planning applications, sure kate will let us know, Tesco a Hill street in Blackburn is OK as well prices are not bad

Albert Einstein.

Old 19-01-2011, 16:52   #6

Quote:
Sorry Less not got time to google to busy with answering posts on here , you carry on using Asda, you could have used Tesco Accrington if they had a petrol station, may be that will come later, we will need to keep a check on planning applications, sure kate will let us know, Tesco a Hill street in Blackburn is OK as well prices are not bad
Who said I use ASDA?
Not me!

Another thing you might check is who thought up the email?

Could be a sneaky sales exec from some rival Company hoping to make a killing?

By the way when we did have those days of protest, weren't they against Taxation rather than the oil Companies?

You put the thread on here, so it's your idea, if you can't be bothered to find the facts why should anyone consider the idea worthwhile?

Old 19-01-2011, 17:01   #7
Senior Member+

as far as I recall this was also tried last year and didn't work. i do know that supermarkets do buy in their fuel from large fuel companies. I believe sainsbury's still use BP. which ones the others use I couldn't tell you.
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 17:21   #8
Senior Member+

Who said I use ASDA?
Not me!
Though you bought cheap fuel
Another thing you might check is who thought up the email?
Could be a sneaky sales exec from some rival Company hoping to make a killing?
You could be correct there Less
By the way when we did have those days of protest, weren't they against Taxation rather than the oil Companies?
What's this all about then
You put the thread on here, so it's your idea, if you can't be bothered to find the facts why should anyone consider the idea worthwhile?
Did'nt have any "idea" just thought it made interesting reading, you don't have to read it do you.

Albert Einstein.

Old 19-01-2011, 17:44   #9

Quote:
What's this all about then

It's about this:-
Quote:
Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP, we need to take aggressive
action to teach them that BUYERS - not sellers control the market place. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not purchasing
their petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. Here's the idea:
Quote:

Did'nt have any "idea" just thought it made interesting reading, you don't have to read it do you.
Not just an interesting read, (which is why I'm reading it), but, a call for action! (your post your call).
Quote:

For the rest of this year DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two biggest oil companies (which now are one) i.e. ESSO and BP.
If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices.
I'm prepared to take action after all, filling my tank now costs over £100, but lets make sure we aren't wasting more time and money, go on, show off your googling prowess and proudly display the facts.
Old 19-01-2011, 18:12   #10

So much for the email:-
snopes.com: Gas Out

Quote:
[Collected on the Internet, 2006]
[Collected on the Internet, 2004]
Last updated 13th April 2006

Pity really, could do with lower fuel bills.

Old 19-01-2011, 18:16   #11
Senior Member+

It's about this:-
Not just an interesting read, (which is why I'm reading it), but, a call for action! (your post your call).
Don't use BP or Esso or any of the supermarkets, plenty of heating oil tanks up and down
I'm prepared to take action after all, filling my tank now costs over £100, but lets make sure we aren't wasting more time and money, go on, show off your googling prowess and proudly display the facts.

£100 + to fill your tank............wow, must be a big motor. google by the way does not show where the supermarkets fuel comes from, only the fact that it is all low grade stuff,judging by the number of complaints ....... think we need to spend £100 + to tank your vehicle up and then follow an Asda or Tesco tanker to see where they go to fill up

Albert Einstein.

Old 19-01-2011, 18:25   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
So much for the email:-
snopes.com: Gas Out
Last updated 13th April 2006
Pity really, could do with lower fuel bills.
That refers to Exxon & Mobil and all the prices are in $, so lets give a bit of credit to the person that sent the email in the first place for converting it to english

You could get lower fuel bills, get a smaller car, one with road tax at £30 per year or use a bus pass

Albert Einstein.

Old 19-01-2011, 18:57   #13

Quote:
That refers to Exxon & Mobil and all the prices are in $, so lets give a bit of credit to the person that sent the email in the first place for converting it to english
just for you these two:-

Petrol Company Boycott
High Petrol Prices ---- Then Selectively Boycott

It doesn't take much to get a WHOLE page full of googling from all over the world that have copied pasted and changed the currency or target Companies.

Quote:
You could get lower fuel bills, get a smaller car, one with road tax at £30 per year or use a bus pass
The tank is in a small van used for business, some of us have very little choice when we are being practical.

As for the bus pass...

Sorry Neil nearly broke the no swearing on site rule!
Old 19-01-2011, 19:02   #14
God Member

What a load of bollocks. Did someone's parrot write that email? If so, it must have been drunk.

There is one simple solution to the price of fuel - keep your car in the garage (or even better, scrap it) - then walk. Some of you might even get reasonably fit, so that hopefully in the next few weeks or months, we won't get the clinically obese characters coming on here complaining about longer queues for NHS treatment.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 19:52   #15

approx 90 pence per ltr is tax, it's the goverment we need to be protested against not the garages,
United Kingdom
Main article: Hydrocarbon oil duty
From 4th January 2011 the UK duty rate for the road fuels unleaded petrol, diesel, biodiesel and bioethanol is GB£0.5895 per litre (£2.65 per imperial gallon or £2.20 per U.S. gallon).[3] Value Added Tax at 20% is also charged on the price of the fuel and on the duty.

Using the UK average untaxed pump price for unleaded petrol of £0.4572 per litre (from the December 2010 average taxed price of £1.221 per litre,[4] the duty rate of £0.5819 per litre[3] and the then VAT rate of 17.5%) this would give a January 2011 taxed price of £1.256 per litre (£5.71 per imperial gallon or £4.75 per U.S. gallon) - that is equivalent to a tax rate of 175%.

Diesel for use by farmers and construction vehicles is coloured red (Red Diesel) and has a much reduced tax, currently £0.1133 per litre.[3]

Jet fuel used for international aviation attracts no duty, and no VAT
duggie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..