Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Community Talk General Hyndburn community chat.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-03-2015, 13:23   #76

Re: Todmorden Curve

Winterbutlee Tunnel, Walsden, 1925

Winterbutlee Tunnel and textile mills, Walsden, 1925 | Britain from Above
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-03-2015, 16:20   #77
Senior Member+

I think the timetable gave it 63 minutes.
It took us 35 minutes from Machester Victoria to Todmorden a few weeks ago.
Me and my brother caught the train to Rochdale them tram to Victoria then train back to Todmorden.
We just decided it would pass Sunday afternoon away and it was an enjoyable trip.
wadey likes this.
Old 21-03-2015, 15:01   #78

Thanks Gremlin, have used the train from Tod a few times but from Accrington to Manchester for work would be a good three hours on your day
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2015, 15:01   #79
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey
Just out of interest, how long will it take on the train from Accrington to Manchester Piccadilly ?
A long while, it's going to Victoria.
wadey and Gremlin like this.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 10:14   #80
Senior Member+

One of the highlights of the journey to Manchester from Accrington is the journey through the Summit tunnel. It was the longest in the world when it was opened in about 1841.
There was a massive fire there on the 20th December 1984 when a train hauling petrol tankers caught fire. The tunnel was closed for a while but eventually after inspection it was found to be repairable thanks to the magnificent work of the original Victorian engineers.
Yesterday I had a ride off road with my brother and crossing the Calderbrook moor we looked down on the vent shaft which bore the brunt of the fire. It's still shored up.
The quarry in the distance is where a lot of clay was dug to make the bricks for the tunnel.
We continued over the moor and the tunnel runs under the place I took the third photo.
Fourth photo is looking down on another vent shaft, covered over to stop the local idiots bombing the train. The Calderbrook road below has been closed for years and is totally blocked.
My kind hearted brother opening the gate for me.
The house is where my brother lived and where the photo for the magazine was taken in the next photo.
I recently went with my brother from Todmorden to Rochdale via the tunnel and then tram to Manchester Victoria station where we caught a train back through the tunnel to Todmorden. Not once was the breath sucked out of my body as the old Victorians though it would.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Walsden (28).jpg (504.7 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Walsden (46).jpg (354.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Walsden (43).jpg (445.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Walsden (41).JPG (346.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Walsden (22).JPG (377.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Walsden (29).JPG (396.4 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg img022 - Copy - Copy.jpg (392.2 KB, 37 views)
Old 07-06-2015, 11:03   #81

Take a vitual reality train ride on the new Todmorden curve link to Manchester. Interesting high speed film showing the track from Blackburn through Accrington and Todmorden etc.

Todmorden Curve opens: Watch historic first train journey from Blackburn to Manchester - Accrington Observer
keep the faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 03:12   #82

If I recall rightly,I used to travel from Accrington via Bury to Manchester Victoria in around 40-45 minutes before they closed the line in 1966.
This is progress???

Tal
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 19:50   #83
Senior Member+

I managed to get a photo of the train on the curve today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_3274.jpg (514.0 KB, 22 views)

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..