Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Community Talk General Hyndburn community chat.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-07-2011, 18:51   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Union Street, Accrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I remember shopping there - I think it was C & M stores -or something similar (using two initial letters).

They even had an online shopping facility and once delivered my order in person(because I lived local)

The shop closed after the till was robbed twice in one year - sad really, because he gave good advice about the products he sold.
Wasn't there once one in the Market Hall Margaret, seem to remember when I was advised to go on sawyer products I was told to go to the market hall, I actually think the chap who had the stall was once a liberal councillor on Church UDC in the 60s
Old 16-07-2011, 08:37   #17
Bee
I am Banned

What was where Subway is now?.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 20:21   #18

I remember in the 50's there was a little grocery shop run by Jack Leach and his wife...that was before Union Street was developed.....(it was mid way up on the right side) I lived round the corner in Crawshaw Street
AccyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 20:41   #19
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyGirl View Post
I remember in the 50's there was a little grocery shop run by Jack Leach and his wife...that was before Union Street was developed.....(it was mid way up on the right side) I lived round the corner in Crawshaw Street
You must have have known my uncle Leo, lived 2 doors up from the Farriers.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2011, 07:46   #20
Bee
I am Banned

Wasn't Subway Sue Ryder Care?.
Old 17-07-2011, 20:01   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
You must have have known my uncle Leo, lived 2 doors up from the Farriers.
Retlaw.
Hi Retlaw, unfortunately I don't remember the Farriers ..or Uncle Leo...I was very young and lived there from around 1947 (I was age 2 yrs) to 1957 ..I remember running errands for my Mum, down Crawshaw street (we lived next door to the Horseshoe Pub) past the Blacksmith's round the corner past Musgrove's (a sort of chemist/herbalist) then up Union Street to the shop.......
Old 18-07-2011, 12:00   #22
I am Banned

Quote:
Hi Retlaw, unfortunately I don't remember the Farriers ..or Uncle Leo...I was very young and lived there from around 1947 (I was age 2 yrs) to 1957 ..I remember running errands for my Mum, down Crawshaw street (we lived next door to the Horseshoe Pub) past the Blacksmith's round the corner past Musgrove's (a sort of chemist/herbalist) then up Union Street to the shop.......
Looks like I've confused you, the Farriers is the Blacksmith, run by the Fitzpatrick's, a Farrier shoes horses. A young lad named David Gudgeon lived a few doors up from my aunt and uncle.
Retlaw.
Old 18-07-2011, 12:12   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Looks like I've confused you, the Farriers is the Blacksmith, run by the Fitzpatrick's, a Farrier shoes horses. A young lad named David Gudgeon lived a few doors up from my aunt and uncle.
Retlaw.
knew the family Gudgeons,was a few of em ginger nuts.
Old 18-07-2011, 14:01   #24
God Member

Some of those used to live on Somerset Grove Cashy
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 13:57   #25

Quote:
Retlaw.
Yes, I remember the Gudgeon's very well indeed, there were a few children and Barbara Gudgeon was my best friend in those days...I recently tried to make contact through her brother James, who has a hairdresser's on Warner Street, but I haven't had much luck...and yes there was a David Gudgeon...
Your Uncle Leo must have lived near Lily Smith and her Mum Mona..also Vivien Charlesworth...... we had great time growing up in that street before cars become so popular....
Old 19-07-2011, 14:00   #26
Beacon of light

Quote:
Retlaw.
I remember a David Gudgeon...he had red hair and later became a bus Driver....is this the same one? I think he lived in the Crawshaw Street area, but I'm not quite sure where.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 14:13   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I remember a David Gudgeon...he had red hair and later became a bus Driver....is this the same one? I think he lived in the Crawshaw Street area, but I'm not quite sure where.
Hi, yes, I believe he did become a bus driver...you have the right person...they were a lovely family.....
Old 19-07-2011, 15:15   #28
I am Banned

Quote:
Hi, yes, I believe he did become a bus driver...you have the right person...they were a lovely family.....
He's the one, spent more time at my aunt & uncles than he did at home. Starting at the bottom on the left was the Blacksmiths, then a wholesale newsagents, next my aunt and uncle, at Nu 7, I think young Gudgeon lived about 4 doors further up.
Retlaw.
Old 19-07-2011, 15:39   #29
Bee
I am Banned

Was there a Tandy's Electricals in Accy?.
Old 19-07-2011, 16:10   #30

Quote:
He's the one, spent more time at my aunt & uncles than he did at home. Starting at the bottom on the left was the Blacksmiths, then a wholesale newsagents, next my aunt and uncle, at Nu 7, I think young Gudgeon lived about 4 doors further up.
Retlaw.
Hi Retlaw....the Gudgeons lived on the opposite side of the road.....
further down from us (we were No 14 right next door to the Horseshoe)..I do remember the wholesalers..and I do remember an elderley couple now you mention it...did they have a big green plant in the front parlour window..like an aspidestria...I know it sounds like a Gracie Fields song..but I can remember this plant in the window......David Gudgeon's sister Barbara was my best friends in those days and I spent quite a bit of time in their house..

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..