Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Community Talk General Hyndburn community chat.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2008, 12:57   #1
God Member

Well done Hyndburn council

Well done Hyndburn, you fluffed it again.

Went down town this morning and went to park in the usual place behind Union street, bottom half of car park all marked out with yellow boxes for disabled, they have taken 12 parking spaces away and put in 9 disabled bays, thats 3 spaces lost, yeah I know they need extra room to get out etc but guess how many cars were parked in them - NONE so to me thats 12 spaces lost
Went round the corner onto Union street (after waiting 10 mins for a parking space) and all the disabled were parked on there.

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-10-2008, 14:23   #2
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Well done Hyndburn council

I have been informed that to get a 'disabled badge', a person has to have a disability, restricting them to being able to walk a maximum of 50 yards, if this is true, how come the only shop within range of these bays is a D.I.Y./builders merchant type place?

Oh well, the planners must be right.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 14:46   #3
God Member

If disabled can park on yellow lines, presumably because they cant walk far (not that I havnt seen some who would beat me in a race!), then why place disabled bays so far away? It is the same with diy stores, parking at the doors for the people you would think couldnt do diy! Then there are complaints when people with no disabilities use the spaces, which leads to using more genuinely needed spaces which leads to more complaints about disabled spaces being used by non badge holders.
Old 03-10-2008, 14:52   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I wonder how long the jamster will take to reply to this thread?
Old 03-10-2008, 14:55   #5
God Member

Haha, will pretend to be working when he does neil!
Old 03-10-2008, 16:26   #6
Resting in Peace

I'm not sure Whether HBC are responcible for this, or if it now comes under the remite of LCC. I know all road repairs are undertaken by County now whether marking out carparks with yellow lines is within their scope I'm not that sure
Old 03-10-2008, 16:35   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

That is a pet annoyance of mine. People blaming the wrong set of *censored* at the wrong Council. If we are going to insult people lets make sure it is the correct people

It's bad enough with our politicians blaming the wrong people all the time just because it serves a purpose without us doing it as well.
Old 04-10-2008, 14:05   #8
God Member

Went past there today and the car park looked chocker block apart from the newly painted yellow hatched area

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 18:26   #9
Senior Member+

They should have created a few more parent and child spaces, I have a complete nightmare getting the boys out of a car in a normal parking space (given that they are both still in car seats, which are quite high and need lifting out of them)
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 19:00   #10
Caz
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H View Post
Went past there today and the car park looked chocker block apart from the newly painted yellow hatched area
Same yesterday afternoon when we went on. No one parking in them at all, and because able bodied drivers didn't know about the markings, people driving down there and having to turn round all the time, including us.

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2008, 13:00   #11

Went down the other day and was gob smacked......there were 2 cars on the disabled bays..........first time I have seen them being used
Old 28-11-2008, 14:37   #12

Thumbs down Re: Well done Hyndburn council

They have also done this with the little car park at the bottom of Oak St.

Jelly Baby
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:15   #13
Common Sense Member

This must be the only disabled parking bay in the world that isn't full of Chelsea tractors abandoned by able-bodied lazy yuppies!

Sorry, this is one of my bugbears about people who drive expensive cars.
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:41   #14
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
This must be the only disabled parking bay in the world that isn't full of Chelsea tractors abandoned by able-bodied lazy yuppies!

Sorry, this is one of my bugbears about people who drive expensive cars.
I thought the term Yuppies had died with the last century.

I can't say I've seen many 'young urban professionals' in Accrington, unless they now wear tracksuits, tucked into their socks.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:48   #15
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I thought the term Yuppies had died with the last century.

I can't say I've seen many 'young urban professionals' in Accrington, unless they now wear tracksuits, tucked into their socks.

There are enough 'posh folk' in Chelsea tractors (apparently disabled but remarkably devoid of orange badges) at Asda in Accrington. I thought this was supposed to have been clamped down on?

Chavs just don't acknowledge road markings at all. When parking it's a true case of 'two become one'.
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..