Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Community Talk General Hyndburn community chat.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2009, 10:42   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

West Accrington Improvements

I and most of my neighbours are very pleased with the face lift our area has been given and to show some of the ideas we have been presented with a leaflet:-

Welcome to West Accrington
Some Creative Ideas to Help Your
Neighbourhood Bloom!

For those of you that haven't seen it a larger, more informative version can be downloaded from:-

http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/downloads/handbook.pdf

As I said, I am pleased with the results so far and intend to take up their idea of putting some potted plants out the front next year to join in with the community spirit.

Unfortunately, there is a however, and my however is that some arty farty type has been given free reign to destroy what has been offered so far. For example the old fashioned street sign's that have lasted for over 100 years are to be thrown aside and replaced by this sort of thing.

OR THIS!

Please Mr. Designer, before you throw the baby out with the bath water, reconsider, you show the following image of an old street sign as the reason it should be scrapped:-

But with a quick sand blast and fresh paint they could look similar to this:-

and will last us another 100 years without going out of fashion.

There are of course other ideas in the leaflet some good some bad but what a waste of these pieces of antiquity it would be if they are scrapped.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg sign gaudy.jpg (20.2 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg streetsign red.jpg (4.0 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg streetsign dirty.jpg (8.5 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg streetsign done.jpg (7.3 KB, 83 views)
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-11-2009, 18:28   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: West Accrington Improvements

I understand where you are coming from Less and, yes, would be a shame to lose our traditional street signs, which are clear and simple, however, the examples of suggestions you have put up are not the best are they ?

I rather like the ones on Page 31 ... sorry, don't appear to be able to download them onto the site.

Presume you are allowed somewhere to express an opinion officially, and suggest you do so.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 19:40   #3
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

When you look at a street to see it name whilst driving to help you decide if you are going to turn or not, you need a simple to read sign. The last thing you want to be doing is trying to decide where the sign is and then read it.

I don't mind public art at all, but lets keep the street signs simple and easy to read.
Old 04-11-2009, 20:46   #4
God Member

I wouldn't worry too much about the street signs, Less. In six months time you won't be able to tell the difference between the signs and graffitti; in fact, you could do us all a favour and save the taxpayer a few bob by going out there with a spray can now. You could be imaginative - why stick to the street name? Why don't you just spray "Less's Gaff" underneath your bedroom window? It would look very nice in bright pink against a background of newly sandblasted stone.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 20:48   #5
God Member

I saw the thread title and assumed Less had been given notice to move out
Old 05-11-2009, 09:45   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
I understand where you are coming from Less and, yes, would be a shame to lose our traditional street signs, which are clear and simple, however, the examples of suggestions you have put up are not the best are they ?
Perhaps the one's I've shown are a tad gaudy, but someone thought them worthy of considering.

Quote:
I rather like the ones on Page 31 ... sorry, don't appear to be able to download them onto the site.
I understand what you are saying and just for you I've reproduced the page, rather an expensive option don't you think to replace something that is already functional and only needs a little renovation with such signs?

By the way, practice with paint or some such program and you too could have posted it!

Quote:
Presume you are allowed somewhere to express an opinion officially, and suggest you do so.
Your presumption is correct and yes, I have thank you very much, but as usual, so far no reply.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sign's for katex.JPG (53.5 KB, 40 views)
Old 05-11-2009, 09:56   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post

There are of course other ideas in the leaflet some good some bad but what a waste of these pieces of antiquity it would be if they are scrapped.

Just to be fair to me katex, the above is a quote from my first post, what a shame, you didn't consider that before you're interjection.

Old 05-11-2009, 16:47   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Just to be fair to me katex, the above is a quote from my first post, what a shame, you didn't consider that before you're interjection.

[/left]
[/center]
I did read this post thoroughly several times Less ... and took into consideraton what you said. Just maybe other readers may not have noted this comment, (just looked at the pictures ), also, wasn't too sure if your comment included some designs shown of other features. I also pre-empted you and knew you would be 'kind enough' to put the others up for me .. kept getting stuck in the link and having to do that Ctrl-Alt-Delete thingy.

Anyway, you are only showing off .... 'cause you know full well I have not yet conquered the art of splitting a quote in one post ....
Old 05-11-2009, 16:53   #9

Quote:
I did read this post thoroughly several times Less ... and took into consideraton what you said. Just maybe other readers may not have noted this comment, (just looked at the pictures ), also, wasn't too sure if your comment included some designs shown of other features. I also pre-empted you and knew you would be 'kind enough' to put the others up for me .. kept getting stuck in the link and having to do that Ctrl-Alt-Delete thingy.

Anyway, you are only showing off .... 'cause you know full well I have not yet conquered the art of splitting a quote in one post ....
Wow, kate, what a waste of time the above quote was, you busy winding your neck in and still blaming me, plus the fact you know if you had P.M.'d me I would have helped you put the piccy's online!

Try to be honest, you tried to show me up, but you, (as usual missed my whole 'thread'). Next time you try this and fail, please don't turn up somewhere pretending to be a friend, this obviously proves you just wanted me to be wrong, no matter what!
Old 05-11-2009, 17:29   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Wow, kate, what a waste of time the above quote was, you busy winding your neck in and still blaming me, plus the fact you know if you had P.M.'d me I would have helped you put the piccy's online!

Try to be honest, you tried to show me up, but you, (as usual missed my whole 'thread'). Next time you try this and fail, please don't turn up somewhere pretending to be a friend, this obviously proves you just wanted me to be wrong, no matter what!
Didn't 'as usual' (cheeky beggar) miss the point you made at all .. sorta' agree with you about the old ones ... just that you did put the worst of the designs up that's all .. thought it only fair to show a few others. (mutters to meself .... must remember that Less takes offence if I point out the whole picture of suggestions re. signage)

Hey, I never 'pretend' to be friends with anyone .. you would know it if I weren't .. would just ignore you ..
Old 05-11-2009, 18:08   #11

Quote:
must remember that Less takes offence if I point out the whole picture of suggestions
I'd given the whole picture, as I said there where other suggestions, some good some bad, no need for you to make it seem I had given an unfair point of view unless, as often you do, you wanted to.

Quote:
would just ignore you ..
Please, in future do so, I would find it far more friendly.

Now without your input can we get back to trashy, namby pamby, arty farty suggestions that some Burk thinks would be nice for 'us' to live with whilst they get the money to afford a detached house far away from such crap!
Old 05-11-2009, 18:25   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Now without your input can we get back to trashy, namby pamby, arty farty suggestions that some Burk thinks would be nice for 'us' to live with whilst they get the money to afford a detached house far away from such crap!
Ok ... 'owt for a quiet life. Beam me up dad .... this guy prefers to be alone

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..