Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Community Talk General Hyndburn community chat.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2009, 13:39   #1

will they ban the ban???

I saw a local M.P on T.V this week he was saying that the government should re think the smoking ban as it is considered to be one of the factors of the 35 pubs a week shutting down, I agree with him, but i also think that the government should re think the vat on beer and spirits. and what was wrong with the old smoke rooms . what does everyone else think?
jooles is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-03-2009, 16:22   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: will they ban the ban???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooles View Post
I saw a local M.P on T.V this week he was saying that the government should re think the smoking ban as it is considered to be one of the factors of the 35 pubs a week shutting down, I agree with him, but i also think that the government should re think the vat on beer and spirits. and what was wrong with the old smoke rooms . what does everyone else think?
Well I'm a none smoker so it didn't effect me, but I didn't mind other people smoking so long as they weren't lowing smoke in my face. I've just heard that the ale at my favourite watering hole has just gone up about 15p, looks like Stella from ASDA is still the best bet. as for lifting the smoking ban, since when did this poxy government hold their hands up and say they made a mistake, they just blame the ban on every body but themselves
Old 06-03-2009, 18:52   #3
Senior Member+

Okay,the government brought in the ban without consulting the people who helped vote them in.A democatic country no more...you do as we wish.I cant believe the smokers of this country just let it happen,or some compromise was reached (i.e as abroad...landlords discretion,seperate smoking room etc).Smoking related illness' strain on NHS? Hells bells seen casualty at weekends due to drink related violence & injuries or wards with drink related illness'.You dont get smokers being paid for their addiction (alcoholics get money towards drink,i'm led to believe,on DHSS)Bottom line...the government were under pressure to either sacrifice tax from drink or fags & drink won(in a nutshell).Just me throwing my 2 cents in,if it does'nt make much sense.
Old 06-03-2009, 20:53   #4
God Member

I had a complaint made to me today, by a non smoker, he said 'It wasnt so bad when people smoked in the pub, but there is nothing worse than the smoke at the entrance to a pub! It is overpowering getting in the door, roll on when they change the rules back!'
Old 06-03-2009, 21:26   #5
Beacon of light

I doubt that the government will overturn the ban....when did they ever do anything that was popular?
when did they ever take notice of what the voters want?
maybe when all the public houses have gone to the wall, and it is too late they will wake up and realise that this could have been dealt with in a different way.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 21:52   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i agree with margaret, they are too thick to take popular action, Spain,Greece,etc carry on merrily ignoring it, its like sod the E.U. whats best fer us. but our lot will die of stupidity.
Old 06-03-2009, 22:06   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i agree with margaret, they are too thick to take popular action, Spain,Greece,etc carry on merrily ignoring it, its like sod the E.U. whats best fer us. but our lot will die of stupidity.
But which side is most popular? Smoking or not smoking?
Old 06-03-2009, 22:17   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Well as far as I can see all the non-smokers who were saying they would use licensed premises once the smoking ban was introduced don't seem to be sticking to their word. I follow the rules and smoke outside but very rarely go out now. It does get on my wick when folk start complaining about people smoking in the streets but hey ho some people just like moaning
Old 07-03-2009, 03:12   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Easy to find out,have smoking and none smoking pubs and see who is still in business in a years time.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 05:07   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
Easy to find out,have smoking and none smoking pubs and see who is still in business in a years time.
this would have been the sensible option in the first place as it has worked in spain/catalonia for years. Those premises wishing to allow smoking apply for a smoking license and when granted a sign must be placed in the entrance for potential customers to see that smoking is allowed.
It is about time the law was abolished for as far as i'm concerned it's a down-right breach of a smokers human rights.
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 16:25   #11
Senior Member+

Apparently smoking is still permitted in one of the House of Commons bars???????
Since the smoking ban on airlines there are far more incidents of chest complaints/colds etc. They used to use 3 air scrubbers and take in a greater percentage of fresh air. Now they take in far less air and don't use 3 air scrubbers - saves fuel and therefore makes more money for the airlines
Barrie Yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 16:36   #12
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Apparently smoking is still permitted in one of the House of Commons bars???????
Since the smoking ban on airlines there are far more incidents of chest complaints/colds etc. They used to use 3 air scrubbers and take in a greater percentage of fresh air. Now they take in far less air and don't use 3 air scrubbers - saves fuel and therefore makes more money for the airlines
Barrie, you're wasting your time, the 'real', none smoker's won't admit the whole ban thing, has done them any harm, they will continue to be smug about something they kept away from.

Most of them aren't very social anyway.

(watch this space).
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 17:10   #13
Senior Member+

Yes Less, I gave up bothering a long time ago. Just stick a patch on if I am on a long haul flight and I was used to meetings of 6 hours or so which were non-smoking, so it has never bothered me.
Barrie Yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 18:11   #14

get our m.p. greg pope to raise it in parliament if he wins will be more popular than war time winston
nortype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 22:22   #15
God Member

to say the demise of the local boozer is all because of the smoking ban is rubbish...I smoke and if I fancy a pint a smoking ban has never stopped me...in fact I don't know of anyone that has stopped going to the pub because they'd rather stay indoors and smoke!...it's not a very big factor in pubs closing.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..