Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Sport and Hobby Talk (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f128/)
-   -   Cricket. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f128/cricket-56643.html)

pjlc 30-01-2011 17:24

Cricket.

Any thoughts on the forthcoming Lancashire League season? I like local cricket but sadly it is on the decline. One change I would make straight away is to reduce games to at most 40 overs. Because of 3 main reasons really; 1, We have not got the weather, so limiting overs will give more chance of a result. 2, not all fans of cricket want to be staying until 8pm and after in some cases to see a result. 3, The players some weekends play Saturday and Sunday which takes up all the weekend, then train two days a week on top. How do they spend time with their partners/families? Maybe have a 40 over League on Saturdays and a 30/35 over League on Sundays? Thoughts please :) Also it annoys me when a player gets 50 and they do a collection, then if he gets to 100 they come round and do another collection for the same player! Then the pro usually gets 50 so that's another collection, then he'll probably take 5 or more wickets so guess what? Yes that's another collection.......................................: mad:

jaysay 31-01-2011 10:55

Re: Cricket.

You never have been forced to donate to these collections, Myself would never contribute to a collection for a pro, they get paid already. I am a Cricket fan and played quite a lot in my younger days, playing double headers as always been part and parcel of the game as has practising, think its called dedication and in my day the games weren't a number of overs, but there was a 7pm finishing time for all games

pjlc 31-01-2011 13:04

Hi again, I agree that donating to the collections is not compulsory but still annoying when they come round 6/8 times sometimes in a match if both teams bat/bowl well. I love the double headers but surely some players are put off the game by playing cricket morning till night all weekend? I can't believe that no players actually quit local cricket because a, it takes up all weekend b, there don't see their kids after they've been at work all week and c, their wives/partners must get utterly cheesed off. Plus I would much rather go to a shortened match that actually got finished than the constant no results we seem to get in the Lancashire League. I'm not a doom n gloom person at all, but something needs to be done as a lot of people are quickly losing interest. I say keep the double headers in a shortened format, maybe 30 over league on a sat and a 40 over league on a sunday which adheres more to our inclement weather and doesnt tie the players up all weekend? What do you think?

brfc1974 31-01-2011 18:59

well firstly i personally like the 50 over game format even if it takes till 8pm (which very rarely happens usually done for 6-7 oclock ) The entrance fee was £4 last season which to me is excellent value for money given that you usually have 5-6 hours of entertainment, so i dont mind the added expense of collections, i usually put 50 pence in each collection which would on average equate to a pint of lager bought in the clubhouse, considering most people bring thier own drink i think its very fair

cashman 31-01-2011 22:15

Dont mind the collections, unless fer the Pros, agree 50 overs can be a bit long, have had to leave early not knowing the result, think 40 would be better.

pjlc 01-02-2011 06:34

I think 40 is a lot better, when a possible 12pts can be earned in a game a for a no result you only get a mere 3pts they should be avoided at all costs. I love the 50 over game but over a season it is just not that favourable with our climate. While some games finish at 7, from a players point of view that's fine except then they have to get changed then get home etc, so if your the away team it does get quite late. I agree also with £4 to get in, if it goes to help the club I'm all for it and I would still be prepared to pay £4 for a reduced overs match. I love local cricket but attendences at most clubs show that something is not quite right IMO. And unfortunately the biggest stumbling block is out of everybodys hands..................The Weather. 50 overs, lots of collections etc etc is good for the old school cricket purists, but at a lot of clubs they are becoming few and far between. A lot of purists at all levels of the game don't like 20/20 cricket but at the end of the day it does an important job which is get people through the gates and cash into our clubs. Anyway here's hoping for a sun drenched Lancashire League season.

Bernard Dawson 01-02-2011 10:05

I'm not a 20/20 fan, although it does get a few more down to the grounds on a Friday night, which is when there played in Lancashire League. I take the point about 40 overs instead of 50 overs. But I personally prefer 50 overs. You are more likely to get a better game of cricket in my view.

jaysay 01-02-2011 10:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson (Post 879727)
I'm not a 20/20 fan, although it does get a few more down to the grounds on a Friday night, which is when there played in Lancashire League. I take the point about 40 overs instead of 50 overs. But I personally prefer 50 overs. You are more likely to get a better game of cricket in my view.

I think it was better before the introduction of overs Bernard, there was some kind of unwritten rule saying the side batting first finished their inings at 4-30pm in 2pm start, games never went on much after 7pm with a final cut off of 7-30pm

pjlc 01-02-2011 14:39

I agree that 50 is better than 40 in an ideal world, just not in this country and especially the north west lol. Ashortened finished game must be better than a longer unfinished one?

134waterst 05-03-2011 09:33

would be a miles better game if there were restrictions on number of overs per bowler, as in a 'normal' 50 over game ...plus fielding restrictions and power plays . i.e.
just like a one day international. more interest for players and spectators and a test of captaincy.
the days of the 'great' pro. are long gone and the League needs to be proactive in making the game interesting and attractive .

jaysay 05-03-2011 09:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by 134waterst (Post 889270)
would be a miles better game if there were restrictions on number of overs per bowler, as in a 'normal' 50 over game ...plus fielding restrictions and power plays . i.e.
just like a one day international. more interest for players and spectators and a test of captaincy.
the days of the 'great' pro. are long gone and the League needs to be proactive in making the game interesting and attractive .

Oh come they've struggle with the Duckworth Lewis scoring at this level:D

Bernard Dawson 05-03-2011 09:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by 134waterst (Post 889270)

I don't disagree with that. You've got to have 5 bowlers in the Worsley Cup, and it works alright in that. The problem is, that if a club signs a predominately bowling pro ,they will not wan't him restricted to bowling just 10 overs.

134waterst 05-03-2011 10:10

Hi Bernard. IMO it means that the clubs have to tailor there signings to the regulations .
My idea is to give local players a better chance to be in the game .
It would definitely be a better game to watch and , selfishly, to play in .
Big gates are a thing of the past and we have have an obligation to help young players reach a higher level.

Bernard Dawson 05-03-2011 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by 134waterst (Post 889293)
Hi Bernard. IMO it means that the clubs have to tailor there signings to the regulations .
Big gates are a thing of the past and we have have an obligation to help young players reach a higher level.

I agree with what you are saying. The Worsley Cup format works well,and the fact that you cant just stick the Pro on at one end for 25 overs means captains have to give it a lot more thought.And as you rightly say it also helps younger players.

cashman 05-03-2011 14:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by 134waterst (Post 889293)

What do you know about cricket Selwyn?:rofl38::rofl38::rofl38:;)