Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Sport and Hobby Talk (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f128/)
-   -   Tory MP slags off Olympics opening ceremony! (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f128/tory-mp-slags-off-olympics-opening-ceremony-62030.html)

kestrelx 28-07-2012 10:13

Tory MP slags off Olympics opening ceremony!

A Conservative MP has attacked the Opening Ceremony of the Olympic Games as “leftie multi-cultural c---.”
While others were lavishing praise on Danny Boyle’s £27 million extravaganza, Aidan Burley, member for Cannock Chase, described it on Twitter as “the most leftie opening ceremony I have ever seen - more than Beijing, the capital of a communist state!"

London 2012: 'Nazi stag party’ MP Aidan Burley attacks multicultural Opening Ceremony - Telegraph

I agree with him slightly - why was 3 mins given to Grime rapper Dizzy Rascal?

gynn 28-07-2012 10:14

Re: Tory MP slags off Olympics opening ceremony!

Please post in General Sport

kestrelx 28-07-2012 10:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by gynn (Post 1005514)
Please post in General Sport

No it's not about sport - it's about comments made about the opening event which has nothing direclty to do with sport!

Neil 28-07-2012 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by kestrelx (Post 1005516)
No it's not about sport - it's about comments made about the opening event which has nothing direclty to do with sport!

Please can I remind people about Mick's posts stating that any threads about the Olympics must be in the General Sport section, any that are not will be moved here so if your thread is moved you know why.

I don't care if its about Little Chef Olympic Breakfasts, if it is about anything Olympic I will move it without telling the original poster I have moved it. I am going to stop leaving redirects as well making the place look untidy.

Can we please stop discussing where the thread should be now.

cashman 28-07-2012 10:24

Pity there aint a "Junk" section,like wi e-mails.:D

kestrelx 28-07-2012 10:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1005517)
Please can I remind people about Mick's posts stating that any threads about the Olympics must be in the General Sport section, any that are not will be moved here so if your thread is moved you know why.

I don't care if its about Little Chef Olympic Breakfasts, if it is about anything Olympic I will move it without telling the original poster I have moved it. I am going to stop leaving redirects as well making the place look untidy.

Can we please stop discussing where the thread should be now.

Idiot - this is not about sport - it's about other issues to do with politics and culture - but can't tell that to an idiot!

Don't use abuse to me mate and expect me to sit and take it - barr me if you wish I'll not bother coming back!

cashman 28-07-2012 10:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by kestrelx (Post 1005524)
Idiot - this is not about sport - it's about other issues to do with politics and culture - but can't tell that to an idiot!

Don't use abuse to me mate and expect me to sit and take it - barr me if you wish I'll not bother coming back!

Yeh must not have took yer pills today, anything regarding the olympics is obviously related to sport, now take yer pills n come down to earth.:rolleyes:

Less 28-07-2012 10:40

Quote:

barr me if you wish

Is that like being hit over the head with Irn Bru?

https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/im...LMJAV02QzfOI9A

harwood red 28-07-2012 11:08

well I thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing and thought it was quite spectacular. I don't look into it too deeply, just how I visually enjoyed the whole thing. Parts of it even made me laugh out loud!!:)

susie123 28-07-2012 11:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by harwood red (Post 1005528)
Parts of it even made me laugh out loud!!:)

Me too - with embarrassment. :o

mobertol 28-07-2012 11:48

I enjoyed some of it and some of it made me cringe like the representation of Britains bucolic past. The use of the hill for the flags was good though. Enjoyed the Industrial revolution and the forging of the ring - also the homage to the two world wars (read that it was in honour of Accrington Pals too so that's a thumbs up!). Think he should have left it there though and missed out the nurses! Also very telling the representation of modern Britain - a culture dominated by soap operas, mobile phones and messaging - the work ethic of the Nation has disappeared very obviously in direct contrast to the past.

The music I enjoyed when it was accompanying in the athletes - nice and speedy and a great selection. Live thought Mike Oldfield was very evocative and Rowan Atkinson/ Chariots of fire was not bad. Hated the Arctic Monkies -never heard 'em before or the Dizzy rapper. Abide with me and Jerusalem were a bit cheesy. Sir Paul could have missed out Jude too -not one I would have chosen, come back Sir Elton, all is forgiven;)...but then you can't please all of the people all of the time. The whole point of the ceremony was the lighting of the flame and presentation of the athletes and they were the strong points of it all for me. Oh, and I did like the bell!!!

Here in Italy it's had a mixed reaction some found it showed the British sense of auto-irony and it was applauded and others hated it. Don't think they understood a lot of it myself as there was much to take in and the Italian commentators on the TV were struggling. Even called Mr Brannagh "Kevin" which gave me a laugh!

jaysay 28-07-2012 11:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by harwood red (Post 1005528)
well I thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing and thought it was quite spectacular. I don't look into it too deeply, just how I visually enjoyed the whole thing. Parts of it even made me laugh out loud!!:)

Ya I agree HR, not too interested in the games but last night was a spectacle to say the least and how the managed to make it work is beyond me those chimneys coming from nowhere and the forging of the olympic rings was superb, and don't forget that cameo from Mr Bean:D

jaysay 28-07-2012 11:56

Quote:

Be careful what you wish far:rolleyes:

lancsdave 28-07-2012 11:59

I thought it was well put together, bit complex to start with but once you understood what was happening it became clear :)

Only one blot for me was McCartney, British icon but past his sell by date.

Heard quite a few things on the news about foreign press saying it was too British, only one comment on that ... Up yours Johnny Foreigner :D

jaysay 28-07-2012 12:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 1005543)
I thought it was well put together, bit complex to start with but once you understood what was happening it became clear :)

Only one blot for me was McCartney, British icon but past his sell by date.

Heard quite a few things on the news about foreign press saying it was too British, only one comment on that ... Up yours Johnny Foreigner :D

Quite agree Dave about Macca, my daughter said the same, seems he wasn't very good at her majs diamond do either