Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Sport and Hobby Talk (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f128/)
-   -   Rugby World Cup (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f128/rugby-world-cup-67649.html)

hyndburner 26-09-2015 21:35

Rugby World Cup

I know I'm on safe ground.

Not a single thread or post on this site relating to the Rugby Union World Cup.

Apparently we are hosting the thing!. (Did YOU see any build up to it? No. Me neither.)

Its always been one of those sports that completely pass you by. They used to give the results out on Grandstand while your grandma was looking for a pen to take down the footie results at twenty to five,

Nobody surely watched the games? A gang of snooty hooray henrys knocking seven bells out of another team of...er hooray henrys!

A game that has gone so far up its own backside with 'technical rules' that mean the only relevant person on the pitch is the referee. You have to watch him, not the players, to have any ideas what is happening.

Any game that has a 'crucial game' in the World Cup between England and Wales has seriously lost its way in terms of global relevance.

So I'll pass, thank you.

gpick24 26-09-2015 22:34

Re: Rugby World Cup

I don't watch rugby much, watched the first half tonight and quite enjoyed it really but the mrs came home after a 13 hr shift and wanted to watch something else :(

south aussie 27-09-2015 02:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyndburner (Post 1151004)
I know I'm on safe ground.

Not a single thread or post on this site relating to the Rugby Union World Cup.

Apparently we are hosting the thing!. (Did YOU see any build up to it? No. Me neither.)

Its always been one of those sports that completely pass you by. They used to give the results out on Grandstand while your grandma was looking for a pen to take down the footie results at twenty to five,

Nobody surely watched the games? A gang of snooty hooray henrys knocking seven bells out of another team of...er hooray henrys!

A game that has gone so far up its own backside with 'technical rules' that mean the only relevant person on the pitch is the referee. You have to watch him, not the players, to have any ideas what is happening.

Any game that has a 'crucial game' in the World Cup between England and Wales has seriously lost its way in terms of global relevance.

So I'll pass, thank you.

Lots of people around the world would disagree with your comments.
I am sure the entire population of New Zealand are watching every game involving
the All Blacks.
The game has moved on from the hooray henry days.

cashman 27-09-2015 12:14

Have tried watching League @ Union, its a sport i have never been able to get into, so dont really give a toss if its advertised or not. think the hooray henry thing is long gone, but just my opinion aint gonna bet on it.

Eric 27-09-2015 17:57

Rugby ... now that's a real man's game; it's like hockey on grass. Not too much of that wimpy primadonna bs you get in soccer. And it's much superior not only to soccer, but also to American football where they have to stop and have a get together before they have another play. Love Aussie Rules too ... UFC on a grass field.:mosher: I understand the "Aussie" bit, and I know what a football is ... what I'm still vague on is "rules" ... but I'm working on it,:D and its a gradely game.

south aussie 28-09-2015 02:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1151050)
Rugby ... now that's a real man's game; it's like hockey on grass. Not too much of that wimpy primadonna bs you get in soccer. And it's much superior not only to soccer, but also to American football where they have to stop and have a get together before they have another play. Love Aussie Rules too ... UFC on a grass field.:mosher: I understand the "Aussie" bit, and I know what a football is ... what I'm still vague on is "rules" ... but I'm working on it,:D and its a gradely game.

I much prefer Football [soccer],Union,and League to Aussie Rules.
We have been here for 34 years and still cant work out the RULES bit.
Good luck with trying to work it out.

taddy 09-07-2016 10:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by south aussie (Post 1151011)
I am sure the entire population of New Zealand are watching every game involving
the All Blacks.

Only just noticed this thread,(been subscribed new glasses today); you are right the game has moved on,England under an Aussie coach have just whitewashed your so called invincible Aussie team.
Really looking forward to them meeting and beating the All Blacks.:alright:

cashman 09-07-2016 10:38

Thing is Rugby aint my bag at all, But if Englands in owt i want em to win, simple as.:)

Kiwi John 20-11-2016 01:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1172122)
Really looking forward to them meeting and beating the All Blacks.

:rofl38::rofl38:..I love the English sense of humour.

taddy 20-11-2016 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiwi John (Post 1181668)

England 58, Fiji 15,never mind the Haka, we are on our way, (be afraid, be very afraid). Your's, Taddy.

taddy 03-12-2016 16:40

England 37-Australia 21, need I say more ? Your's Taddy.

Rowlf 03-12-2016 20:53

England equal record of 15 wins in a row. 'Swing low sweet chariot !!'

taddy 11-02-2017 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiwi John (Post 1181668)

Have not heard much from Kiwi John lately,maybe his sense of humour has faded a little since the rise and rise of Eddie Jones's England,:D:D:D

Kiwi John 26-10-2019 06:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1187186)
Have not heard much from Kiwi John lately,maybe his sense of humour has faded a little since the rise and rise of Eddie Jones's England,:D:D:D

:yelrotflm:yelrotflm..( hope i'm of the same humour tomorrow morning)

taddy 27-10-2019 13:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiwi John (Post 1233055)
:yelrotflm:yelrotflm..( hope i'm of the same humour tomorrow morning)

ENGLAND 19 NEW ZEALAND 7.
Maybe next time John.
Regards , Ha, Ha,Ha,Ha. Your's Taddy.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

taddy 27-10-2019 13:13

Sorry John I forgot to add :tongueout:tongueout:tongueout

taddy 27-10-2019 13:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by south aussie (Post 1151011)
the All Blacks.

You are so right mr South Aussie. England 40 Australia 16. England 19 New Zealand 7. our hurray henry's can still dish it out. only South Africa left to beat.
I have already ordered the Hobgoblin real English ale for next Saturday.
I can't stand your "wouldn't want a warm beer", mantra.
Your's a 72 year old apprentice alcoholic Taddy.;););)

taddy 27-10-2019 13:36

Although I have to agree with you, the game has (thankfully) moved on since it has become professional, the days of having to have gone to Eton or medical school have long gone.
Your's again Taddy

Kiwi John 02-11-2019 07:43

you Poms were easily the better team last week, and thoriughly deserved to beat us-and that is the overwhelming concensus amongst NZers. however, it remains to be seen if u can replicate it again in about 2 hours. If you do, you are truely a great team. All the best England, you deserve victory.

cashman 02-11-2019 11:04

We Lost.

landhusweg 04-11-2019 08:53

Hi Kiwi John,
What a shame we lost, but at least the better team won!
I just lost a bet (bottle of S.A. wine) to a dear friend in South Africa, not sure when we can drink it though.

Cheers

taddy 26-12-2020 13:03

Sorry John, I didn't notice this but all the best to you.