Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Sport and Hobby Talk (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f128/)
-   -   Geocaching? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f128/geocaching-70990.html)

pompeylass 24-02-2020 08:46

Geocaching?

We went to visit our son, who lives in Dorset, over the weekend, and we were chatting about what to do to get some exercise and stop spending so much time in front of the telly and the computer screen.

He suggested geocaching, and said it's electronic treasure hunting. We'd vaguely heard of it before, but never met anyone who'd ever tried it.

Has anyone on here given it a go? What does it entail and how much fun would it be for a couple of over 60-year-old's like us?

taddy 24-02-2020 11:07

Re: Geocaching?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pompeylass (Post 1237523)
We went to visit our son, who lives in Dorset, over the weekend, and we were chatting about what to do to get some exercise and stop spending so much time in front of the telly and the computer screen.

He suggested geocaching, and said it's electronic treasure hunting. We'd vaguely heard of it before, but never met anyone who'd ever tried it.

Has anyone on here given it a go? What does it entail and how much fun would it be for a couple of over 60-year-old's like us?

It must entail going outdoors and catching Geo's, (Geoffs, Geovannis, Georges), etc.;););)

cashman 24-02-2020 15:14

never heard of it.:confused::confused::confused:

Margaret Pilkington 24-02-2020 16:26

I have heard of it, but don't really know much about it or how it is done.
It is good that you are considering embarking on something new....and something that will enhance your fitness.

I have just taken up yoga....and I know that is fairly sedate, but is something I have never done before....and I hope it will improve my flexibility (I am sure that someone is putting two of sand and one of cement not my spine)

dotti34 24-02-2020 22:27

One of the members of a committee I belonged to ages ago was a very enthusiastic geocacher (not sure if that’s what they are called). He spent most of one evening’s meeting explaining what it was all about. Have to say he lost me after his first couple of sentences – too complicated for my little brain. though probably more interesting than the meeting would have been.

From what I can remember a person hides a particular object and then puts out clues via coordinates. Other people then try to find the ‘treasure’ by studying the clues. Once they find the hidden object they then replace it with a different item, and find another hiding place for the one they have just ‘discovered’.

Just for fun we gave him a very little model of a house to hide in a location here in South Australia – and within a week it had been found in New Zealand! I think it had been discovered and re-housed (pardon the pun) in several locations before landing in NZ.

It’s a sort of treasure hunt for adults who have nothing else to do – but it does get a person out and about so there are benefits. You just have to have a bit more ‘up there’ than I have, which wouldn’t be hard.. You also need a GPS-enabled device.

RainbowSix 25-02-2020 06:02

Is your phone Android? search the play store and you will find lots of geocaching apps. (other phone types have them too).

you can use them to search for a nearby cache, when you find it you put your name in a book to say you found it and swap the item thats in there for another - could be a key ring - anything little like that.

The cache itself is usually found in a waterproof sandwich box type case and hidden somewhere - your task is to go find it - get to the location and use your head to think "now where would I put it?"

taddy 25-02-2020 09:02

Or Hide go seek for I phone Anoracks