Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Sport and Hobby Talk (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f128/)
-   -   Six Nations Rugby (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f128/six-nations-rugby-71493.html)

taddy 08-02-2021 15:15

Six Nations Rugby

I sat down in front of the Tele last Saturday afternoon with a bottle or two (or more) of Hobgoblin, to watch the Calcutta Cup match between the Auld enemies; I was expecting a good hard fought game of Rugby Union, I might as well have watched the Harlem Globe Trotters playing Basketball; The Oval ball was in the air more than it was in the hand.
If our Aussie coach wants every team member to put the ball in the air at every opportunity then at least give them a round ball to play with; What I witnessed on Saturday was not Rugby, it was a cross between Soccer and Basketball.
I hope that the England players whilst in their "Covid" bubble managed to watch the Ireland, Wales game on Sunday; (That is how the game of Rugby Union Is played lads). Get back to basics or take up golf, then you can put the ball up in the air to your hearts content.
Regards, Taddy.

taddy 15-03-2021 09:36

Re: Six Nations Rugby

After watching Scotland and Ireland play Rugby as it should be played yesterday, I dispair the way Englands (new) kicking format is spoiling their game; as I said in my last post the ball in the air game is called golf not rugby.
Rant over (for now), The Luddite.

monkey hanger 01-05-2021 10:35

if only the rules of rugby union could be simplified it would make it a bigger spectator sport. at least the layman watching football or cricket has a fighting chance in knowing whats going on and able to see if some foul has been committed. in RU i have not got a real clue whats going on so either swerve watching or just turn off in the end. totally confused.com

DaveinGermany 01-05-2021 12:14

I'm with you on that one MH, can't really follow the game, but I've sat & struggled through it a couple of times while at me Dads, the owd fella enjoys it & as the long suffereing dutiful "Eldest", I'm obliged to humour him. :D

taddy 01-05-2021 15:28

[QUOTE=monkey hanger;1253441]if only the rules of rugby union could be simplified it would make it a bigger spectator sport. at least the layman watching football or cricket has a fighting chance in knowing whats going on and able to see if some foul has been committed. in RU i have not got a real clue whats going on so either swerve watching or just turn off in the end. totally confused.com
So watch, listen and learn;I do not know all the rules but the more I watch the more I (slowly) learn.

I am as much a Luddite on the R.F.U. rules as I am with this Bill Gates's infernal machine but I am larning, (yes, I have spelt that reet).;);)

cashman 04-05-2021 18:01

i have tried watching league and union it just dont grab me at all. dont really want to understand it.

taddy 07-05-2021 11:05

[QUOTE=cashman;1253623]i have tried watching league and union it just dont grab me at all. dont really want to understand it.

The popular idea is that Rugby Union is the sporting equivalent of Chess, where as Soccer is the equivalent of draughts, i.e, Rugby Union is a thinking mans sport.
I now await the backlash from the draught players.:egged::egged: