Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Sport and Hobby Talk General chat about anything sport or hobby related.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-08-2011, 20:34   #1
Senior Member+

Question Bludy Carrots!!

Hiya,

I have planted some carrot seeds last week as I thought that they would be ok to grow now and eat over winter. I must have planted around 30seeds in seperate pots to get them going and then I could transfer them to the ground when they have sprouted.

Out of around 30 seeds 2 have come up??!!

Any tips on what I should/should not be doing?
My Dad struggles to grow carrots aswell.

Planted the same amount of Parsnips and they are coming along a treat with my Brussel Sprouts!

Thanks
I never think about the last.
heth is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-08-2011, 20:52   #2
I am Banned

Re: Bludy Carrots!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heth View Post
Hiya,

I have planted some carrot seeds last week as I thought that they would be ok to grow now and eat over winter. I must have planted around 30seeds in seperate pots to get them going and then I could transfer them to the ground when they have sprouted.

Planted the same amount of Parsnips and they are coming along a treat with my Brussel Sprouts!

Thanks
You've planted them at the wrong time of the year.
Seeds know when its the right time to germinate,
carrots can be finicky, and should not be subjected to replanting, Brussels take a long time to mature, and the parsnips have been planted at the wrong time, it will not be long before we have night frosts.
I think then most of your efforts will suffer.
Next year get carrot fly resistant seeds, and follow the instructions on the packet.
Lost all my carrots this year to cats, had them covered by a fleece, but I forgot to switch the electric fence on, and the dammed cats crawled under the fleece crapped on them, and scrat all the seedlings up.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 21:00   #3
Senior Member+

Thanks Retlaw.
I have heard people growing them this time of year and had a good crop thats why I planted some now.
TBH I just wanted something to grow and look after later in the year.
I have also planted some spuds.

Mmmmmmm its my first year at proper gardening so all a learning curve for me this year!
Old 27-08-2011, 21:16   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
Thanks Retlaw.
I have heard people growing them this time of year and had a good crop thats why I planted some now.
I have also planted some spuds.

Mmmmmmm its my first year at proper gardening so all a learning curve for me this year!
Spuds can take up to 26 weeks to reach maturity.
Now is the time of year for digging them up, you can get seed potato's that will grow to golf ball size new potato's in time for xmas, when I dig mine up next week, if I don't get them all, spuds will come up where I don't want them next year.
By the way spuds don't like lime, it makes them look scabby, get a test meter to check your soil levels.
You can grow spuds in bags or large buckets.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 27-08-2011 at 21:17. Reason: Spelling
Old 27-08-2011, 21:36   #5
Senior Member+

Thank You Retlaw.

All a learning curve this, I am enjoying it though very much.
I dug up some potatoes a few weeks back and was very happy with myself!

Very satisfying growing your own stuff.
Old 28-08-2011, 10:11   #6
Resting in Peace

Re: Bloody Carrots!!

Quote:
Hiya,

Thanks
When I was young I was very interested in Gardening and in fact had a plot in the Church Gardens, carrots was the one thing which was very hard to cultivate don't no why, but never had much success in that department
Old 28-08-2011, 17:26   #7
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Try Weeds, no special requirements needed
Old 28-08-2011, 17:42   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Try Weeds, no special requirements needed
I was an expert in their cultivation Dave
Old 28-08-2011, 19:00   #9
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Bloody Carrots!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
When I was young I was very interested in Gardening and in fact had a plot in the Church Gardens, carrots was the one thing which was very hard to cultivate don't no why, but never had much success in that department

Shame you dont still have that plot, they are expensive now
Old 28-08-2011, 19:25   #10
Senior Member+

I had a big bag of poppy seeds given and planted them, after two months not one has grown. I was told I had planted the seeds upside down. Do our gardening experts agree?

The lady I employ to do the gardening says I have to be patient and they will eventually show up.
Old 28-08-2011, 19:34   #11
God Member

My dad grew carrots ..he reckoned carrots grow best in loose soil..he would even mix some sand in with the soil.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 19:38   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I had a big bag of poppy seeds given and planted them, after two months not one has grown. I was told I had planted the seeds upside down. Do our gardening experts agree?
Upside down? I think you should be able to feel that tugging on your leg. Even if it mattered(which it doesn't) what are the chances of planting ALL the seeds in a big bag upside down?
It's the wrong time of the year for most seeds to germinate and probably by Spring they'll have rotted away so start again next year. If you have any seeds left keep them in a paper bag in a drawer(dark and dry).
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 19:52   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Upside down? I think you should be able to feel that tugging on your leg. Even if it mattered(which it doesn't) what are the chances of planting ALL the seeds in a big bag upside down?
It's the wrong time of the year for most seeds to germinate and probably by Spring they'll have rotted away so start again next year. If you have any seeds left keep them in a paper bag in a drawer(dark and dry).

I had marked each seed "top" and "bottom" so I wouldn't get them the wrong way round but I must have been confused and planted them sideways.

At least my apple trees have born fruit but they arrived already six feet tall and the gardener (a Miss K Brownlow) who planted them put the roots in the ground and the bit with the branches and leaves on upwards. You can't do that with poppy seeds.

Next time I will leave it all to the expert.
Old 28-08-2011, 20:04   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
I had marked each seed "top" and "bottom" so I wouldn't get them the wrong way round but I must have been confused and planted them sideways.

At least my apple trees have born fruit but they arrived already six feet tall and the gardener (a Miss K Brownlow) who planted them put the roots in the ground and the bit with the branches and leaves on upwards. You can't do that with poppy seeds.

Next time I will leave it all to the expert.
Ah, well, if you planted them sideways that COULD be the problem.
(Thinks,'Must work on my sense of humour.')
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 20:06   #15
I am Banned

Quote:

The lady I employ to do the gardening says I have to be patient and they will eventually show up.
Some one is pulling your wotsit, if you did have poppy seeds, you would have seen they are very small and round.
Retlaw

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..