Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Sport and Hobby Talk General chat about anything sport or hobby related.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-09-2008, 12:59   #1
Senior Member+

Fishing?

So did anyone enjoy some good fishing this summer then or recently? Any good catches?
I did some fishing in france , catching a couple of carp.
Anyone recommend places around here for this great sport this year?

fc:stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-09-2008, 15:34   #2
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: Fishing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc:stanley View Post
So did anyone enjoy some good fishing this summer then or recently? Any good catches?
I did some fishing in france , catching a couple of carp.
Anyone recommend places around here for this great sport this year?
Fishing a sport?

Not in a million years.

Unless it is fishing for the table it is a barbaric pastime.
Old 21-09-2008, 17:48   #3
Senior Member+

Re: Fishing?

How is it not a sport! :s Theres alot of skill involved in fishing and it varies with different kinds. Tbh i use barbless hooks and using these and then putting the fish nicely and calmly back into the water i dont think that is barbaric :S

Old 21-09-2008, 18:43   #4
Apprentice Geriatric

Exclamation Re: Fishing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc:stanley View Post
How is it not a sport! :s Theres alot of skill involved in fishing and it varies with different kinds. Tbh i use barbless hooks and using these and then putting the fish nicely and calmly back into the water i dont think that is barbaric :S
Sport - an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others. As defined by the Oxford English Dictionary.

Man versus fish cannot be a sport. Man versus man can and I suppose so can fish versus fish if you could train them to race each other. At best it can be called a contest, a rather unfair one at that.

Undoubtedly there is some skill in fishing especially in fly-fishing to entice a fish to bite on the bait but in general there is little skill involved in casting a line into the water. Some knowledge on what sort of bait to use and where to cast the hook yes, but that’s not skill.

Whether a fisherman use a barbed hook or not the fish bites on the bait and the hook penetrates its mouth, this causing an injury. Some fish fight to get off the hook thereby injuring themselves even more during the struggle.

Then it is taken out of its natural environment whilst it is maybe measured and weighed, the hook is pulled out and then the fish is placed back in the water for someone else to catch at a later date and it gets injured again. The injured fish is then prone to disease/infection until the injury heals. Other fish sensing an injury will attack the fish. So yes it is barbaric.

It is not kind to deliberately injure a fish or any other animal for that matter, or even a human. Therefore if it isn’t kind it must be unkind. Unkind is being cruel and cruel is disregarding or taking pleasure in the pain or suffering of others. Causing pain or suffering, as defined by the Oxford English Dictionary.

Fishermen may not take pleasure from inflicting pain on a fish take but they do take pleasure from fishing. Indeed there are contests to see who can catch the most weight in fish over a given period of time. Fishermen assuage their conscience by claiming that a fish doesn’t feel pain. Science has shown that fish do feel pain.

Think of it this way, if people ‘fished’ for rabbits with a rod, line and hook with a carrot on the end, the RSPCA would be down on them like a ton of bricks.
Old 21-09-2008, 20:56   #5
God Member

Jim..................why do you not try to walk on water?
What is the point of good debate when you have already decided you know best?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 09:39   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Roy your close on 2000 post and you haven't sussed yet that, thats what JB does
Old 22-09-2008, 09:48   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Roy your close on 2000 post and you haven't sussed yet that, thats what JB does
I know that, you know that so does half the world............but.....does he?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 12:02   #8
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Fishing?

Quote:
That’s it is it?

That’s the sum total of your intelligence?

That you cannot put forward a coherent argument to support your point of view on fishing but can only resort to infantile personal comments. Then you and jaysay behaving like two silly school girls pointing at and talking about another pupil.

It really is time to grow up – both of you.

But to answer you crass question – because if I did I would sink.

I have voiced my OPINION on why I think that fishing is not a sport and that to go fishing for any other reason than to put the catch on the table is cruel and backed it up with sound reasoning. That is the art of initiating a debate, which seems to be alien to you.

Hang on though! I forgot again! I’m not supposed to have my own opinions unless they are the same as you and several others. Well you know my answer to that.

Other people will agree with me or disagree, as is their right. But if they do disagree, and I’m sure that there will be plenty who will if only to try to shoot my argument down in flames, then they should put forward, not just their OPINION but back it up with reasoned argument.
Old 22-09-2008, 12:19   #9
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Yes but on this occasion he is correct.
Fishing for food is ok.
Fishing not for food is not ok.

That is my opinion, would you like to debate why fishing is not cruel?
Old 22-09-2008, 13:31   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Yes but on this occasion he is correct.
Fishing for food is ok.
Fishing not for food is not ok.

That is my opinion, would you like to debate why fishing is not cruel?
thats fine, but was not the topic, fcstanley was askin fer recommended fishing spots n who enjoyed fishing.
Old 22-09-2008, 14:46   #11
Senior Member+

Im absolutely fine with everyone having there own opinions , thats the whole point of a forum!

My opinion is:

That yes, fish feel pain BUT they don't SUFFER from pain?
Why you may ask , well this is why:
Because they don't have a Neocortex in their brain which is the presupposition for any complex procession of nerval stimulation,whether it's pain, light, sound, heat, cold, a.s.o.

What i do is:

Fish with barbless hooks, i try and bring the fish in as quick as possible, once the fish are caught i put it on a fishing mat, carefully take the barbless hook out of its mouth , put the fish in the keep net to let it calm down and to get used to its surroundings again, then after a while return the fish carefully into the water (not chucking it in). With me doing this i feel its respect to the fish.

I enjoy fishing enormously and will keep fishing. I understand other peoples views and respect them alot however this has been done for years and years as a sport and is done and enjoyed by quite alot of people around the world.

Old 22-09-2008, 14:50   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i read once that its the most popular participant sport in the world, aint my bag, but if it suits people- fine. i got a bit more to bother about in life than wether a fish feels pain.
Old 22-09-2008, 16:31   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i read once that its the most popular participant sport in the world, aint my bag, but if it suits people- fine. i got a bit more to bother about in life than wether a fish feels pain.
Got to agree cashy, not barrow either, never could see the point of siting on bank of a lodge or river dangling a piece of string with a hook on it, into the water, life to short to let time pass by like that.
Old 22-09-2008, 17:49   #14
God Member

My dad showed me how to tickle trout - no rod - no hooks - they just die gasping
and tasted lovely

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 18:10   #15
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Fishing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
thats fine, but was not the topic, fcstanley was askin fer recommended fishing spots n who enjoyed fishing.
And you’ve never commented so far off topic that it bore no relation to the topic whatsoever?

Yeah! Right!

Before calling a kettle black the pot should be white.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..