Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Sport and Hobby Talk General chat about anything sport or hobby related.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-01-2012, 15:36   #1
God Member

Grand Slam Tennis 2012

The season has started with The Australian Open and so far I've only managed to watch one full match. A great one though : Nadal vs Berdych. Nadal rallied at a crucial tie-break point in the second set and managed to make it one set all and then fought tooth and nail till the end winning with great merit over a Berdych who was playing at his best.

Nadal now goes into the Semi-final against Federer, which promises to be spectacular as they are both playing well. The Fed. winning easily over Del Potro.

Djokovic tomorrow against Ferrer should be worth watching and in the early hours Andy Murray against a lesser known Japanese player who beat Tsonga. Murray hasn't really been tested so far but should make it through to the semi-final. So it should be the top four in the first Grand Slam semis.

I have a feeling that it's going to be a good year for Murray, don't ask me why! Since my all-time hero John McEnroe, he's the player I find to be most creative and brilliant in his shots when at his best. I'm hoping that new coach Lendl can give him the mental strength to bring out his best tennis when it counts most. He'll need it to beat the likes of "Gladiator" Nadal, "Cool" Federer and the crushing tennis of Djokovic.

My money is already on him for Wimbledon this year.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-01-2012, 22:16   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Grand Slam Tennis 2012

Jeez i woulda stood that bet. would love yeh to be right,but very much doubt it.
Old 25-01-2012, 18:27   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Jeez i woulda stood that bet. would love yeh to be right,but very much doubt it.
Well it will be our Andy at the start of Wimbledon and that bloody Jock if he gets knocked out
Old 25-01-2012, 19:57   #4
God Member

Top 4 seeds in Semis in Oz -not really hard to predict at that point though.

Nadal-Fed. tomorrow morning/ Murray Djokovich fri. morning -hope to manage to see some of the matches.

Will be hopin' Murray wins - Fancy a bet of a fiver for Wimbledon Cashy?

Had my crystal ball out and it rarely lies

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 25-01-2012, 22:47   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Top 4 seeds in Semis in Oz -not really hard to predict at that point though.

Nadal-Fed. tomorrow morning/ Murray Djokovich fri. morning -hope to manage to see some of the matches.

Will be hopin' Murray wins - Fancy a bet of a fiver for Wimbledon Cashy?

Had my crystal ball out and it rarely lies
Yer on Di n give yeh 2-1 cant say fairer n that.
Old 26-01-2012, 08:25   #6
God Member

Quote:
Yer on Di n give yeh 2-1 cant say fairer n that.

Fair! You are giving me rather short odds there Cashy -Ladbrokes gives him 7/1 today -that may change depending on the Oz Open result

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 26-01-2012, 08:44   #7
Resting in Peace

Think its time they clamped down on these silly women grunters playing tennis, not as I watch much tennis but the thought of even tuning into a woman's match knowing they are up and down the court impersonating a pig for an hour and half really turns me off the idea
Old 26-01-2012, 12:31   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Fair! You are giving me rather short odds there Cashy -Ladbrokes gives him 7/1 today -that may change depending on the Oz Open result
Yeh never asked fer odds? yeh said a Fiver Bet! i done that outa the goodness of me heart.
Old 26-01-2012, 13:51   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Think its time they clamped down on these silly women grunters playing tennis, not as I watch much tennis but the thought of even tuning into a woman's match knowing they are up and down the court impersonating a pig for an hour and half really turns me off the idea
Can't remember the last women's match I watched either Jay -for the same reason.

Apart from the noise, the men are more pleasing to the eye too!

Joking aside, watched some great tennis earlier, Fed. vs Nadal. Nadal deserved to get through to the final on sheer determination. Some fab rallies in the fourth set, would have been happy whichever of them won.

Will (hopefully) be able to watch all the Murray/Djok. match tomorrow morning - been building up a nice pile of ironing to do while it's on, so no-one can accuse me of not doing anything useful!

~ D. H. Lawrence

Last edited by mobertol; 26-01-2012 at 13:59.
Old 26-01-2012, 14:04   #10
God Member

Quote:
Yeh never asked fer odds? yeh said a Fiver Bet! i done that outa the goodness of me heart.
A fiver bet it is then if that's OK by you Cashy.

Think it must be some form of Déjà-vù connected to the Royal jubilee which is giving me this feeling about Murray winning- am sure her Maj. would love to give him the winning trophy as she did back in 1977 to "Ginny" Wade -the last "Brit" to win a major title.

(Am not counting Murray's brother who won the mixed doubles a few years ago - bet that really annoys Andy!)

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 26-01-2012, 18:01   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Can't remember the last women's match I watched either Jay -for the same reason.

Apart from the noise, the men are more pleasing to the eye too!

Joking aside, watched some great tennis earlier, Fed. vs Nadal. Nadal deserved to get through to the final on sheer determination. Some fab rallies in the fourth set, would have been happy whichever of them won.

Will (hopefully) be able to watch all the Murray/Djok. match tomorrow morning - been building up a nice pile of ironing to do while it's on, so no-one can accuse me of not doing anything useful!
I didn't mind watch the odd ladies singles match when the likes of Anna were playing, but the grunting by these ladies should be confined to the bedroom me thinks
Old 26-01-2012, 20:24   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I didn't mind watch the odd ladies singles match when the likes of Anna were playing, but the grunting by these ladies should be confined to the bedroom me thinks
Jay, not to put too fine a point on the fact. As a modern, relatively young and dynamic female,who appreciates tennis. Bashing balls about the way they do these days, is best left to the TV commentary of Wimbledon and not to real life and us average mortals! (Unfortunately!!!)

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 27-01-2012, 09:32   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Jay, not to put too fine a point on the fact. As a modern, relatively young and dynamic female,who appreciates tennis. Bashing balls about the way they do these days, is best left to the TV commentary of Wimbledon and not to real life and us average mortals! (Unfortunately!!!)
And there was me thinking ladies tennis was for the fairer sex
Old 27-01-2012, 12:46   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Lost again, not quite good enough imho.
Old 27-01-2012, 15:16   #15
God Member

Waited to post on today's match so i wouldn't be too emotional

I really enjoyed today's match and loved the "new" Andy, reminded me of a young Charlton Heston. Was so disappointed he lost but it didn't matter as he had shown the right attitude and had fought to the end.

Not in the old Henman "well let's put up a fight but you all know i'm going to lose in the end anyway 'cos I'm a good sport" sort of way, but convinced.

Don't forget, before you criticise certain parts of the match, that he was playing against the world No 1 who won nearly all last years major tournaments. It really could have gone either way and i think he can take heart from the way the new Lendl match plan worked - aggressive and going for his shots from start to finish, even if they didn't always come off and occasionally he was really unlucky, there were some fabulous rallies and it may end up being the best match at the Oz Open this year.

Will have to see how the final is first!

I am even more sure now that he'll do it this year and win Wimbledon!

(The bet's still on Cashy!)

~ D. H. Lawrence

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..