Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Sport and Hobby Talk General chat about anything sport or hobby related.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2009, 04:00   #1
God Member

I know that not many .....

I realize that not too many of you guys follow hockey; but bear with me when I crow about Canada's fifth consecutive World Junior Championship.
Some of the games were fantastic: the Canadians scoring the necessary goal with only 5 seconds left in the game against Russia; the USA-Canada game: a classic. Hockey ... love it
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-01-2009, 10:52   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: I know that not many .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I realize that not too many of you guys follow hockey; but bear with me when I crow about Canada's fifth consecutive World Junior Championship.
Some of the games were fantastic: the Canadians scoring the necessary goal with only 5 seconds left in the game against Russia; the USA-Canada game: a classic. Hockey ... love it
I'm sixty two Eric and I've only just got my head round football mate
Old 07-01-2009, 18:15   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I'm sixty two Eric and I've only just got my head round football mate
Hockey is kinda like football on ice .... a lot faster, more violent, but the point of the game is the same ... put the object in the other guy's net ... puck or ball, it doesn't matter: the excitement is everything .... And a little bragging here: we still dominate the game we invented.
Old 07-01-2009, 18:28   #4
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Hockey is kinda like football on ice .... a lot faster, more violent, but the point of the game is the same ... put the object in the other guy's net ... puck or ball, it doesn't matter: the excitement is everything .... And a little bragging here: we still dominate the game we invented.
Football on Ice?

I can remember a time when every Christmas we used to have a special, 'Pantomime on Ice', Compared with the ordinary, "He's behind you", type pantomime, on ice it was just a load of dancing.

Are you saying that Hockey is just a load of footballers dancing on Ice?

It must be good when the magic sponge comes out for the odd fall, by the time it's applied it will be frozen harder than a NORI, a real blessing for the injured party.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 18:42   #5
God Member

My interest in ice hockey started with the Mighty Ducks films and NHL games on Sega Mega Drive I think it was NHL 93... the one with Wayne Gretzky on the front. Embarrassing but hey ho.
Been to a few Blackburn Hawks games, I always enjoy them. NHL is brilliant to watch whenever I catch it online.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:49   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
My interest in ice hockey started with the Mighty Ducks films and NHL games on Sega Mega Drive I think it was NHL 93... the one with Wayne Gretzky on the front. Embarrassing but hey ho.
Been to a few Blackburn Hawks games, I always enjoy them. NHL is brilliant to watch whenever I catch it online.
Warning: NHL hockey is highly addictive
Old 08-01-2009, 06:42   #7

It was great Eric, very "edge of the seat" stuff, also nice to beat the yanks again. The only time I watch it is world championships or the final of the Stanley cup. One of these days the "Canucks" are going to make it, but I,m not holding my breath.
ossykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2009, 23:43   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossykid View Post
It was great Eric, very "edge of the seat" stuff, also nice to beat the yanks again. The only time I watch it is world championships or the final of the Stanley cup. One of these days the "Canucks" are going to make it, but I,m not holding my breath.
Mats Sundin might help .... great player, lots of class, and at 37, he will add stability and experience .... and lots of the great ones have been a little older ... Gordie Howe comes to mind, also Raymond Bourque, Chris Chelios, Mark Messier, and the GREAT ONE himself.

But getting back to the Juniors, that Russia game was right up there with the final game in Moscow in the 70s, when Henderson notched the winner with almost no time left on the clock .... Pull the goalie; get the tying goal with only 5 seconds left ... and then win the shoot out ... it doesn't get any better ... it was even more exciting than coming back from 3 goals down against the US to get the 7-4 victory ... but it's always a blast to beat the yanks
Old 14-01-2009, 00:31   #9
God Member

you guys might want to check this site out , seems to be more than one or two Canadians on the team http://www.dubaimightycamels.com/

the names of the teams in the league may raise a chuckle or two
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..