Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Sport and Hobby Talk General chat about anything sport or hobby related.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2008, 07:31   #1
Resident Waffler

Lake and river swimming?

There are still a few outdoor swimming clubs but they are gradually diminishing. On TV at the mo there's a couple of interviews with groups who enjoy swimming in rivers but Health and Safety regulations have meant the removal of a diving board which had been there for generations (All properly constructed, not just a plank sticking out of the bank.)

The presenter called these swimmers eccentric but one of them considered swimming in rivers to be natural and swimming in chlorine to be crazy.

What do you think?

Provided it's a well known safe location and people go there in groups then I can see the appeal. Unfortunately the law is a bit vague and there may well be a 'right to roam' but not necessarily a 'right to swim'.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-07-2008, 08:13   #2
God Member

Re: Lake and river swimming?

If its safe I dont see why not. Some might argue that it isn't safe because there are no trained accredited life savers around if anyone gets in trouble. Yet on the other side of the coin is that we have water sports were being able to swim is a must even with a bouyancy aide. There is also a big difference between swimming in warm chlorinated water, fresh water and sea water. I have swum in the sea rivers lakes even the canal and yet those who only used the local pool have struggled because of the diference in the waters density. I like fishing for trout so that sometimes means being in the river walking up or down it with all the risks involved. It is a back to basics way of swimming that one day could save a life.

Personally I think the whole health and safety thing is pushed into are faces way too much and is a hinderance. These people are being forced out of a leisure persuit they enjoy because of the cotton wool brigade are on their high horse.

The whole carry on stinks of control freak syndrome on the part of some!!

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:39   #3
Resident Waffler

The more I think about it the more sense it makes because if someone falls in a river or canal it could help them be able to survive (not counting weed and stuff) because as you say it's a whole different thing to swimming in a warm chlorinated pool.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2008, 08:18   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
not counting weed and stuff
Not another smoking thread

I have never swam in a river but I can see the appeal.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..