Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Sport and Hobby Talk General chat about anything sport or hobby related.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2013, 17:16   #1
Resting in Peace

Angry Observer coverage

I've been getting the Observer all my life, but I'm thinking of kicking it into touch, years ago, being a cricket fan, I could look at the Obs for a review of the previous weeks matches in both the LL RL, now all there is a a scant report on LL matches, no scorecards for the local teams matches like there used to be, as for league tables well I ain't seen one yet this season. I'm just wondering if the reporters still look at this Site these days and it will rattle their cage.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-06-2013, 17:34   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Observer coverage

They just don't give a toss jaysay, theres been No league table every week neither, The paper aint fit fer a Bog Nail these days.
Old 05-06-2013, 17:59   #3
Rest in Peace

Being from Clayton I looked every week on line for goings on but since the change of the paper over the last few months I don't even bother very disappointing, like you John mine was looking at the cricket especially Enfield
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:46   #4

Having moved down to Hampshire a few years ago I get all the latest info on their website at:- Lancashire League Cricket

It's great - Accrington are romping it so far.

Shame about the Observer.
cashman likes this.
pompeylass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:01   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Ta pompeylass.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:53   #6

The title of this post could have been : Observer disappointingly observed.

The Ribblesdale League also has a site but it's not a patch on LL.com.

Ossy Emanuel are about mid-table.
pompeylass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 23:21   #7

I don't think "Accrington Observer" has been as "local" since it became part of the Manchester Evening News Group. I have mentioned once or twice the bias towards Manchester re recommended restaurants and days out. We could do with more local publicity - there are good eating places in Hyndburn and plenty of scope for days out in Hyndburn, Ribble Valley, Blackburn, Rossendale, Burnley & Pendle, etc. We are not a suburb of Manchester!
cashman, jaysay, Spider61 and 1 others like this.
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 21:51   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

They still aint putting a Lancs League Table in the paper. I would say gone to the dogs, but the dog track at blackburn is long gone. Wait a min, thats just like this useless paper.
Old 05-07-2013, 22:34   #9
Senior Member+

I noted some time ago that the majority of advertisements are for Manchester area establishments as are a lot of the job vacancies. In my opinion it is no longer a local paper.
Old 06-07-2013, 00:02   #10

I wasn't pleased with the placing of my mayoral column this week. It's submitted by the Council's Press Officer although I write it myself - it's a monthly article. It was squeezed in down at the bottom of the "Letters" page instead of being printed as a proper column. I feel that the coverage I get as Mayor is poor. Apparently the "Lancashire Telegraph" give me much better publicity. I don't buy it as a rule as I get the "Daily Mail" every day. A friend has been keeping the cuttings of articles about the Mayor and is going to let me have them. I think it's only reasonable that the Mayor gets good coverage in the local press. I carry out a lot of engagements and would like some publicity. I have my own Facebook page, "Mayor of Hyndburn", which is very well-regarded! When I launched the Market Hall Facebook page on Thursday a young person remarked that I was "well cool" and a "trendy Mayor" because I used Facebook! At age 64 I feel that this must be the ultimate accolade!
shillelagh and DaveinGermany like this.
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 00:43   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith Addison View Post
I don't think "Accrington Observer" has been as "local" since it became part of the Manchester Evening News Group. I have mentioned once or twice the bias towards Manchester re recommended restaurants and days out. We could do with more local publicity - there are good eating places in Hyndburn and plenty of scope for days out in Hyndburn, Ribble Valley, Blackburn, Rossendale, Burnley & Pendle, etc. We are not a suburb of Manchester!
My husband and i used to enjoy the online version. Since the changed format we don't bother any more.
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 15:50   #12

In the past 3 weeks I've submitted two articles open to publicize an open taster session for Accrington Girls and Ladies and then last week a brief report on our Club AGM which also give a brief reflection on the previous season and some details of the plans for next season

Both articles were written in full by myself so there was no need for either article to be amended it only needed to be copy and pasted into the paper

No acknowledgement or explanation as to why the articles were not in the paper. The club are on the lookout for a new Press Officer however who would take on the roll if everytime they submit something it never appears

In fairness to the Observer historically in the main they have published the vast majority of reports that have been submitted,

With the massive recent price hike with the Lancashire Telegraph I wonder if the Observer might attract new customers who still want their fix of local news however it does more local news
hedman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 00:46   #13
Senior Member+

The AGSOB Association recently awarded a Laptop to a local school and a monetary award to a pupil at that school for an essay competition open to all secondary local schools.

The Membership Secretary produced a write up on the Competition and Awards, photographs were provided, but nothing appeared in the Observer - of course we are assuming that the schoolmaster liaison forwarded them to the Observer.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:32   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
They still aint putting a Lancs League Table in the paper. I would say gone to the dogs, but the dog track at blackburn is long gone. Wait a min, thats just like this useless paper.
Ya cashy still ain't seen a league table, think the Obs is past its sell by date, its obvious nobody from the obs actually looks at this site whereas once they did
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 22:14   #15
Senior Member+

Lancashire League was , and still is, the most respected cricket league in the world (ask Shane Warne, Michael Holding, Roger Harper,Alan Donald....the list is endless,that's just recent times!) . It's shameful that the league gets so little coverage, no tables and vastly inaccurate reporting. ( still reporting Jimmy Hayhurst as captain up till a fortnight ago when he resigned mid season last year!) And if they refer to my bro as "veteran" again things could get personal!
Get online at the Lancs league website, compiled lovingly by Nigel Stockley who is passionate about his cricket!
cashman and jaysay like this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..