Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Sport and Hobby Talk General chat about anything sport or hobby related.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-07-2012, 21:27   #1
Senior Member+

Exclamation Olympics have officially Begun - But...

Still 2 days to go to the opening ceremony!

Did you know that the Olympics have officially begun?

Yep today it started with Women's football and GreatBritain beat New Zealand 1 - 0.

But isn't it a bit odd starting some games before holding opening ceremony - don't you think that's a big odd.

I reckon they should have had an opening Ceremony and that day been a day off for every body.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-07-2012, 09:17   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Olympics have officially Begun - But...

Womens football thats not a game Is It
Old 26-07-2012, 09:43   #3
God Member

Remember to get your earplugs ready for that awful bellringing stunt due early tomorrow morning.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 09:53   #4
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Remember to get your earplugs ready for that awful bellringing stunt due early tomorrow morning.
It's bad enough here Friday nights as it is without having to endure Friday morning as well. Living near the parish church we get bellringing practice from 8pm every Friday.
Old 26-07-2012, 09:58   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
No need telly won't be on.
Old 26-07-2012, 09:59   #6
God Member

This will be not just church bells, but door bells, cycle bells, hand bells too.
The 'artist' who thought that one up needs torturing with a week of heavy metal music.

Cashy dear - it is a nationwide event - so all the god botherers will be clanging anything that makes a metallic sound.

Old 26-07-2012, 10:02   #7
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Perhaps our PC brigade have got in touch with that poor little Chinese lass that was deemed too ugly to open their games and promised that they will let her appear?

(The press will be allowed photographs but only from the back).
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 10:35   #8
Resting In Peace

Quote:
This will be not just church bells, but door bells, cycle bells, hand bells too.
The 'artist' who thought that one up needs torturing with a week of heavy metal music.

Cashy dear - it is a nationwide event - so all the god botherers will be clanging anything that makes a metallic sound.
Work No. 1197: “All the bells in a country rung as quickly and as loudly as possible for three minutes” presents a truly celebratory work for the Games. It was commissioned by the London 2012 Festival as a ground-breaking new work. When it is performed, people all across the UK will be caught within its rich tapestry of sound. No two people’s experiences of Work No. 1197 will be the same, making it both a personal and a communal celebration.

Any Bell. Anyone. Anywhere.

And if you win the competition on the website you get an inflatable Stonehenge for a day!

History In The Making | An Inflatable Stonehenge on Tour by Jeremy Deller

Very well named... truly is a sacrilege in the name of art - I despair for the future of culture in this country sometimes.
Old 26-07-2012, 10:46   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:

Wasn't aware, shows how much interest ive taken in this crap, All i can say then is "Fer fecks sake Ding Dong"
Old 26-07-2012, 10:49   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Wasn't aware, shows how much interest ive taken in this crap, All i can say then is "Fer fecks sake Ding Dong"
Take that you won't be ringing your ding-a-ling then cashy
Old 26-07-2012, 10:51   #11
God Member

My new avatar is there to remind you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg quasimodo.jpg (6.1 KB, 3 views)

Old 26-07-2012, 11:04   #12
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Work No. 1197: “All the bells in a country rung as quickly and as loudly as possible for three minutes”
Very well named... truly is a sacrilege in the name of art - I despair for the future of culture in this country sometimes.
Well next time I go down the Joke shop to sign on I'll ask to be retrained either as a Physiciatrist or else a steeple Jack, doesn't matter which there will be plenty of work thank's to all the loose slates that will result from this escapade.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 11:09   #13
God Member

I thought that you may like to know about an interesting theory doing the rounds.

The Earth has sonic resonance, known as the Schumann resonance (sound).

Schumann resonances - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Olympic site is on a major Earth ley line.
The metallic content, and resultant sound, that that Olympic bell will produce is secret.
The ringing of that bell and all the other bells in UK has potential for affecting the Schumann resonance.

It is only a theory, but why risk it by ringing?

Old 26-07-2012, 14:02   #14
Resting In Peace

Quote:
My new avatar is there to remind you
ha ha like the quote in your new signature - appropriate as always!
Old 26-07-2012, 15:17   #15
God Member

Personally I love the sound of bells -something timeless about them, but then i don't live under or near a Campanile!

As to the Olympics -ended up watching part of the Brazil match but my men do not rate women's footie and soon turned over (thankfully!) Am looking forward to seeing the opening ceremony -who will be lighting the final flame?

Saw that the first Faux-pas has been made though -a mix-up between the North and South Korean flags! Not a good start, I wonder who was to blame...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..