Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Sport and Hobby Talk General chat about anything sport or hobby related.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-04-2013, 12:21   #1
Junior Member+

power walking

hi .any one want to help me with a bit of power walking.any age .male or female.i need to lose a bit of weight.thought this might be a good way of doing it.it could be a group of us if you like.
homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-04-2013, 03:16   #2
Senior Member+

Re: power walking

how do you mean power walking....

...... cause a bunch of people doing this looks a bit......

There is a few walking groups out there, that have websites and stuff.... One I have heard of.... one of them is a bible basher outing....if thats ya thing
Stevie R likes this.

Last edited by Restless; 28-04-2013 at 03:18.
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 09:09   #3
Beacon of light

You don't really need to 'power walk' to lose weight....just walk at a pace that leaves you slightly breathless(this pace will vary from person to person) and do it at least five days a week......if you do this, the weight should start to drop(as long as you are following a healthy balanced diet).
It isn't rocket science - less calories consumed + more physical activity(on a regular basis)= weight loss.
susie123 likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 16:47   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
You don't really need to 'power walk' to lose weight....just walk at a pace that leaves you slightly breathless(this pace will vary from person to person) and do it at least five days a week......if you do this, the weight should start to drop(as long as you are following a healthy balanced diet).
It isn't rocket science - less calories consumed + more physical activity(on a regular basis)= weight loss.
Why do you need to walk at a pace that makes you out of breath? I`ve been on two long (for me anyway) walks this weekend, a total of almost 20 miles, a nice steady pace but wasn`t out of breath at all, surely I will still have burned away plenty of calories.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 18:55   #5
Junior Member+

thanks for your posts guy.just need a bit on motovation thought if i could walk with others it would get me started.
Restless likes this.
homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 20:54   #6
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
Why do you need to walk at a pace that makes you out of breath? I`ve been on two long (for me anyway) walks this weekend, a total of almost 20 miles, a nice steady pace but wasn`t out of breath at all, surely I will still have burned away plenty of calories.
You certainly will have burned some calories, but being slightly out of breath means that the excercise was aerobic, made your heart and lungs work just a little bit harder........and you continue burning the fat after you stop exercising...but not if you hoe into a Mars bar or a bag of crisps.

Good luck Homer with your quest to lose weight and get fit.

I used to walk to some good music......something with a good beat which kept my pace up.
Old 28-04-2013, 20:57   #7
Beacon of light

Aerobic Exercise and Weight Loss

There you go...this explains it for you.
Old 28-04-2013, 21:01   #8
Senior Member+

Interesting stuff Margaret, I have been told in the past that you need to get out of breath but never really understood why.
According to runkeeper, I burned 1016 calories on my Saturday walk and 917 today.
Not sure how accurate that is, but a good guide nonetheless.
Old 28-04-2013, 21:57   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Any form of exercise has never interested me in the slightest, Though i do tend to normal walk a fair bit during the day, I have never bothered either wi this healthy eating crap, if i like summat i have it. without making a pig of meself, Never ever been overweight, this may be lucky, or me constitution i have no real idea? But i reckon common sense has some bearing on it?
Old 28-04-2013, 22:09   #10
Senior Member+

I`ve always just eaten what I want, plenty of exercise playing footy, never been overwieght either until just recently when i`ve got to that age when I have to cool it a bit on footy. Going on my jollies soon and got to get my beach body back somehow.
Old 29-04-2013, 05:16   #11
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
I used to walk to some good music......something with a good beat which kept my pace up.
As MargeP says, something which keeps the pace up.

westendlass likes this.
Old 29-04-2013, 19:09   #12
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Just so you get the gist, 120 paces to the minute (Light Infantry double time) plus the lads are kitted up with rifle & bayonet, 6 mags of 30 rounds each, bandolier of 150 rounds, couple of grenades, rations for 24 hours & probably some kit for section support weapons. (weighing in between 10.5 -15 kg).

Combats, helmet, body armour, boots.

Old 29-04-2013, 19:30   #13
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
In other words, leave home worried that you'll miss the bell for last orders, incentive enough to arrive out of breath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
Who cares about calories? so long as you have enough energy to drag your fat arse down to the pub why worry?

Quote:
It was you with that Boom Box that annoyed everyone within three streets then? (Could never understand those things, a package case on your shoulder full of about 12 expensive batteries, just to annoy the neighbors.

Would have been cheaper just to throw bricks at their windows).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Just so you get the gist, 120 paces to the minute (Light Infantry double time) plus the lads are kitted up with rifle & bayonet, 6 mags of 30 rounds each, bandolier of 150 rounds, couple of grenades, rations for 24 hours & probably some kit for section support weapons. (weighing in between 10.5 -15 kg).

Combats, helmet, body armour, boots.
You would have been real fun when it came to Brucie and his conveyor belt wouldn't you, most folk were happy with the cuddly toy!
DaveinGermany likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 19:36   #14
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
most folk were happy with the cuddly toy!
That's an optional extra.
Old 29-04-2013, 19:44   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Who cares about calories?
Probably someone trying to lose weight i.e. the thread starter

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..