Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Sport and Hobby Talk General chat about anything sport or hobby related.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-03-2012, 12:38   #1
Senior Member+

Pub Names /CAMRA

I am seeking speakers for a history conference which will be themed 'Drink and Abstinence'. Do you know anyone who is knowledgeable on the subject of pub names and would step in to give an illustrated talk.? Anyone connected with CAMRA? I feel sure there will be a member with that knowledge, even if not in the local branch.
How about someone with knowledge of the effect of licensing laws through out the years?
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-03-2012, 12:55   #2
Resting In Peace

Re: Pub Names /CAMRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I am seeking speakers for a history conference which will be themed 'Drink and Abstinence'. Do you know anyone who is knowledgeable on the subject of pub names and would step in to give an illustrated talk.? Anyone connected with CAMRA? I feel sure there will be a member with that knowledge, even if not in the local branch.
How about someone with knowledge of the effect of licensing laws through out the years?
I'm a member of Lunesdale CAMRA which is a bit outside the Accy area but a couple of our members have given talks in the past but mainly on Lancaster subjects. You haven't said where your conference will be and there may be other CAMRA branches with more appropriate connections. For contact details of branches in the West Pennines region see

CAMRA - Campaign for Real Ale

I assume seeing the title of your conference it may be focusing on Preston and the temperance movement?

Good luck!

Last edited by susie123; 14-03-2012 at 12:58.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 13:07   #3
Senior Member+

Thanks Susie. I know a chap, Andrew White, who talks on Lancaster pubs but I am seeking a look at the whole of England.
Preston ? Yes.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 13:21   #4
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Thanks Susie. I know a chap, Andrew White, who talks on Lancaster pubs but I am seeking a look at the whole of England.
Preston ? Yes.
Yes, I've heard Andrew White speak. Didn't realise your brief was countrywide but I see now what you're after. Might be better to contact national CAMRA for some ideas.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..