Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Sport and Hobby Talk General chat about anything sport or hobby related.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-06-2009, 08:29   #1
Full Member+

Sports Quotes

Seen any quotes recently that make you grin, cry, laugh, grimmace ?
Here goes

"I think it's fantastic business. It was £40m, it was £50m, it was 60, now it's 80 and I think they should cut their hands off and run and don't even consider it at all.''
Former Manchester United boss Tommy Docherty on the Ronaldo deal.

and

And the line up for the final of the Women's 400 metres hurdles includes three Russians, two East Germans, a Pole, a Swede and a Frenchman.
-- David Coleman

Last edited by Reamer; 26-06-2009 at 08:38.
Reamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-06-2009, 10:32   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Sports Quotes

Was once at a Sportsmans Dinner at Bacup Golf Club, back in the seventies, and Tommy Docherty was the speaker, at the end there was a questions and answers and somebody asked the Doc what he thought of the then Burnley Chairman Bob Lord (The Fat Butcher) He pondered for a few sconds then said "next question"
Old 14-02-2010, 14:25   #3
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

All time classic from former Liverpool Manager Bill Shankly :

"Some people think football is a matter of life & death .... I can assure them it is much more serious than that."

Sunday times 4th October 1981.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 15:09   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
All time classic from former Liverpool Manager Bill Shankly :

"Some people think football is a matter of life & death .... I can assure them it is much more serious than that."

Sunday times 4th October 1981.
Well its true Dave, ain't it
Old 14-02-2010, 15:20   #5
Senior Member+

On one of my T-Shirts "United is LIFE - Nothing else matters"
Old 14-02-2010, 16:28   #6
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well its true Dave, ain't it
Most assuredly my friend, most assuredly. See Barries post ? the one above ! he's talking about Cambridge United isn't he ? well it is the closest united to F ..... Oh best stop there Neil said I couldn't use the F word, so I'll have to say nearest to Cheese eating , surrender Monkey land instead .

Last edited by DaveinGermany; 14-02-2010 at 16:31.
Old 14-02-2010, 16:37   #7
Senior Member+

Could be Ebbsfleet United I suppose, but an American friend bought it for me on his way through Dulles Airport. They probably haven't heard of Ebbsfleet or Cambridge - :-)))
Old 14-02-2010, 17:15   #8
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Could be Ebbsfleet United I suppose, but an American friend bought it for me on his way through Dulles Airport. They probably haven't heard of Ebbsfleet or Cambridge - :-)))
Ah now I understand, the Americans our colonial cousins have a limited grasp on the subject of Football, they think it is something somewhat quaint & typically British. Not really got the hang of it over there.
Old 14-02-2010, 17:43   #9
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Getting back on track, Tommy Lawrence Liverpool keeper in the 60's let the ball pass through his legs in a match giving the opposition a goal he then said to Shanks :

"Sorry Boss, I should have kept my legs together ! " to which the big Man replied :

"No Tommy, your Mother should have kept her legs together !"
Old 15-02-2010, 14:47   #10
God Member

Shankly was once asked if it was true that on the night of his honeymoon, he took his wife to see an Accrington Stanley game.

'Not exactly true', he replied, 'It was Stanley reserves'.

.....and that is true.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 15-02-2010 at 14:50. Reason: Computer.again!
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 15:53   #11
God Member

Alf Ramsey to Rodney marsh..‘I'll be watching you for the first 45 minutes and if you don't work harder I'll pull you off at halftime," to which Marsh replied: “Crikey, Alf, at Manchester City all we get is an orange and a cup of tea.”.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..