Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Sport and Hobby Talk General chat about anything sport or hobby related.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-05-2011, 18:09   #1
Senior Member+

Time for Old Trafford to Grow Up?

I did the Old Trafford stadium tour a few years ago, and one of the features of a tour was the guide pointing with delight at a sign in the corner of one of the stands, with a number on. At that time it was something like 29. He told us that this was the number of years since Manchester City had won a trophy.

As a neutral, this struck me as particularly petty and parochial, and not something you'd expect from a club that purports itself to be one of the greatest. You'd hardly expect a tour of the Bernebau to include a wallow in the misfortunes of Atletico Madrid, would you?

So an interesting dilemma now faces the powers that be at Old Trafford. Do they quietly remove the sign, or do they change it to 0 and continue to gloat about how long it is since City won a trrophy.

We await their decision with interest.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-05-2011, 09:17   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Time for Old Trafford to Grow Up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
I did the Old Trafford stadium tour a few years ago, and one of the features of a tour was the guide pointing with delight at a sign in the corner of one of the stands, with a number on. At that time it was something like 29. He told us that this was the number of years since Manchester City had won a trophy.

As a neutral, this struck me as particularly petty and parochial, and not something you'd expect from a club that purports itself to be one of the greatest. You'd hardly expect a tour of the Bernebau to include a wallow in the misfortunes of Atletico Madrid, would you?

So an interesting dilemma now faces the powers that be at Old Trafford. Do they quietly remove the sign, or do they change it to 0 and continue to gloat about how long it is since City won a trrophy.

Do the tour of Eastlands in a few years gynn it might just read how many years since a trophy here with a picture of the Theatre of Merchandising
Old 22-06-2011, 16:20   #3

Nothing wrong with it. In quite it was quite funny. That's what football should be about. I'd love won at Ewood saying 33 years and increasing every year that goes past without being beat off Burnley.

"It is better to remain silent and presumed a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." Sir Winston Churchill
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 17:10   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
Nothing wrong with it. In quite it was quite funny. That's what football should be about. I'd love won at Ewood saying 33 years and increasing every year that goes past without being beat off Burnley.
Well Burnley can't beat a drum can they
Old 22-06-2011, 21:50   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:

How come you didn't bother to mention it a few years ago when you did the tour as you considered it to be "particularly petty and parochial"?
Old 22-06-2011, 22:24   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
How come you didn't bother to mention it a few years ago when you did the tour as you considered it to be "particularly petty and parochial"?
perhaps not a member then.? only been around since 2009.
Old 24-06-2011, 06:33   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
I don't think I've yet reached the stage where every thought that occurs to me is immediately posted on the Accrington Web........
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 21:16   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
I don't think I've yet reached the stage where every thought that occurs to me is immediately posted on the Accrington Web........
I quite admire people who ponder awhile before expressing their thoughts
Old 24-06-2011, 21:23   #9
Senior Member+

The sign can now be read as the number of years between winning anything. I used to admire City when they had some great players in the ranks - the Frannie Lee years, the days of Mercer and Allison - but now? The biggest Council House tenants in UK, perhaps the dirhans should be used to buy the ground and then the city council could give something back to the Manchester tax payers.
Old 25-06-2011, 09:06   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
The sign can now be read as the number of years between winning anything. I used to admire City when they had some great players in the ranks - the Frannie Lee years, the days of Mercer and Allison - but now? The biggest Council House tenants in UK, perhaps the dirhans should be used to buy the ground and then the city council could give something back to the Manchester tax payers.
Think they might have sites on another site in Manchester just waiting for the present incumbents to have their debt called in
Old 26-06-2011, 01:01   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Think they might have sites on another site in Manchester just waiting for the present incumbents to have their debt called in
They haven't got passports to get into Trafford
Got to wondering who had gone the longest without winning any trophy - Rovers or the lot from Wastelands - Johnson's Paint doesn't count. I am sure Jay can enlighten us
Old 26-06-2011, 08:52   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
They haven't got passports to get into Trafford
Got to wondering who had gone the longest without winning any trophy - Rovers or the lot from Wastelands - Johnson's Paint doesn't count. I am sure Jay can enlighten us:tongue out
Well considering your supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread you lot went 26 years without winning the league even Ranger and Celtic only went 9 years and you would have us believe that your scum club are the only team in England:the finger:the finger:the finger:the finger:the finger
Old 29-06-2011, 14:20   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well considering your supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread you lot went 26 years without winning the league even Ranger and Celtic only went 9 years and you would have us believe that your scum club are the only team in England:the finger:the finger:the finger:the finger:the finger
We may have gone 26 years without winning the league in the past but we have certainly made up for that now - only one record to beat and that is the one held by Liverpool.
I wonder if Rovers are aiming for a record - trying to beat the other no-hopers in escaping relegation by the skin of their teeth yet again.
Could be even more dire for them this coming season - all your good players either gone or wanting away, perhaps you should get your football gossip from the Dandy or Beano rather than wherever you gather it from now - Jones is a United player.
Glad you stayed up though, 4 points and a +7 goal difference suits me - so up yours too Jay, and swivel
Old 29-06-2011, 17:13   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
We may have gone 26 years without winning the league in the past but we have certainly made up for that now - only one record to beat and that is the one held by Liverpool.
I wonder if Rovers are aiming for a record - trying to beat the other no-hopers in escaping relegation by the skin of their teeth yet again.
Could be even more dire for them this coming season - all your good players either gone or wanting away, perhaps you should get your football gossip from the Dandy or Beano rather than wherever you gather it from now - Jones is a United player.
Glad you stayed up though, 4 points and a +7 goal difference suits me - so up yours too Jay, and swivel
**** off
Old 29-06-2011, 17:43   #15
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Ladies, Ladies, purleaze !!! Couldn't you just throw buns at each other or something ?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..