Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Sport and Hobby Talk General chat about anything sport or hobby related.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-07-2012, 13:57   #31
God Member

Re: Tory MP slags off Olympics opening ceremony!

I have read comments about a sequence where a lone dancing man appears to taunt a young boy, beckons him and then picks him up and hugs him.

What was the symbology of that?

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-07-2012, 14:10   #32
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I have read comments about a sequence where a lone dancing man appears to taunt a young boy, beckons him and then picks him up and hugs him.

Never talk to strangers?
Espescially if they have been elected, you just don't know what they are capable of!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 14:14   #33
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Was definitely a boy and he did sing it well -should have been dressed as a proper choir boy though!

BTW did the choir of children change the words to the National Anthem or was it my imagination?
The National Anthem choir was made up of deaf and hearing children so their enunciation may have been unclear on some words - they were signing as well.
Old 28-07-2012, 14:35   #34
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
The National Anthem choir was made up of deaf and hearing children so their enunciation may have been unclear on some words - they were signing as well.
Just checked on iPlayer... they were word perfect - at least to the version I learnt 50 odd years ago in the Girl Guides!
Old 28-07-2012, 14:36   #35
Resting In Peace

Quote:

Think it was meant to be the Child Catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Ironic as the section was supposed to be about children's literature and this character only appears in the film and musical version - not in the book!
Old 28-07-2012, 15:00   #36
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Last time I looked it was a member free zone too (you excepted)
phewwww glad you were only looking
Old 28-07-2012, 15:21   #37
God Member

Quote:
Didn't realise that -I saw that they were signing but didn't know they all had hearing difficulties -that would be what threw me!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 15:31   #38
God Member

Quote:
Just checked on iPlayer... they were word perfect - at least to the version I learnt 50 odd years ago in the Girl Guides!
I was in the Girl's Brigade -until i rebelled aged 11! I am not good at group activities or team sports, hated having to wear a uniform and most of all being told what to do -not my thing at all.

My maternal grandmother was a Girl Guide leader for many years - I obviously didn't take after her in this respect.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 15:36   #39
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
I was in the Girl's Brigade -until i rebelled aged 11! I am not good at group activities or team sports, hated having to wear a uniform and most of all being told what to do -not my thing at all.

My maternal grandmother was a Girl Guide leader for many years - I obviously didn't take after her in this respect.
I joined the guides because I heard they were off to camp and I wanted to go too. Loved camping, still do, went several times with them but once I discovered boyfriends the rest of it went by the board!
Old 28-07-2012, 15:41   #40
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
barr me if you wish I'll not bother coming back!
Don't make promises like that, you'll get all our hopes up!
Old 28-07-2012, 17:49   #41

I've just watched the opening ceremony on IPlayer up to the bit where David Beckham was delivering the torch on a speedboat - I skipped quite a few bits as I was watching as well. I must say that in my Olympic free zone I was impressed - fair play to Danny Boyle, I think he did a very good job, I loved the James Bond bit, and I enjoyed the history of Britain through music and film clips, it actually quite touched me and made me feel proud to be British (English)! And I didn't think it was too left wing, I thought it was a fair representation of our past and current culture (although I believe that my nemesis Shami Chakrabati or whatever she's called popped her head up - I haven't got time for her) but I missed that bit. And I do think that the 27 million quid it cost could have been far better spent.
Anyway I'm now back in my Olympic free zone and doing my best to avoid the Olympics at all cost!
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 18:24   #42
Beacon of light

How do you get to this olympic free zone? I watched a bit of a film on one of the channels, but the lloyds bank advert came on...and the one for McDonalds(free olympic grrrr glass and wristband).......and the newspapers were full of olympic blather and not much in the way of news. I would like to be somewhere(other than the grave) where there is not a peep about the blasted olympics.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 18:27   #43
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
How do you get to this olympic free zone? I watched a bit of a film on one of the channels, but the lloyds bank advert came on...and the one for McDonalds(free olympic grrrr glass and wristband).......and the newspapers were full of olympic blather and not much in the way of news. I would like to be somewhere(other than the grave) where there is not a peep about the blasted olympics.
Shut yourself in the back room, lock the door and get a bottle of good wine down your neck
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 18:49   #44
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
I thought it was well put together, bit complex to start with but once you understood what was happening it became clear

Only one blot for me was McCartney, British icon but past his sell by date.

Heard quite a few things on the news about foreign press saying it was too British, only one comment on that ... Up yours Johnny Foreigner
I'd of rather heard "The Final Countdown" than Macca singing "Hey Jude!"
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 18:50   #45
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Don't make promises like that, you'll get all our hopes up!
My hopes too! I suppose you have to make personal threats and swear at a moderator to get barred!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..