Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Sport and Hobby Talk General chat about anything sport or hobby related.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-07-2012, 15:29   #1
God Member

Tour de France - British triumph in Paris.

Great day for British cycling - Bradley Wiggins wins the Tour -first British man to do so.

Cavendish wins his third day over the line in Paris making it an all British final day. Exciting top speed finish - Wiggins much in evidence as pacemaker over the final 500m.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-07-2012, 17:37   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Tour de France - British triumph in Paris.

Ya Wiggins is the first British winner, what a great achievement just shows how much cycling has taken off over here in the last few years, long may it continue
Old 22-07-2012, 19:11   #3

i think i cycled pack Wiggo on my way home from Altham Ind Estate a few week back...
Old 22-07-2012, 21:25   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
just shows how much cycling has taken off over here in the last few years, long may it continue
Congratulations to Bradley Wiggins.

But Heaven preserve us from overweight fifty somethings squeezing into those horrendous body hugging lycra cycling shorts which display everything including your religion.

Not a pretty sight!

gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2012, 21:41   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Glad the blokes won it, Some plank on News tonight said, This win will encourage 1000s to take up cycling.
Old 22-07-2012, 21:47   #6
God Member

My dad was a keen amateur racing cyclist in the 30s.

It was more popular then than it is now.

He won two silver and one gold medal in races from Burnley to Blackpool.

Those were the days when your bike was a standard heavy frame and you had to cycle from home to the race start.

PS and cycle home afterwards!

Last edited by MargaretR; 22-07-2012 at 21:50.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2012, 21:55   #7
I am Banned

All this bullshine about a British triumph, gets up my wick.
British triumph, He did it on his own, without any help from Britain, he could have lived in Timbuctoo, for all any body cared before.
What part did Britain play in this, did they help him get where he is, or pay for his training, so why should they get any credit.
Same with a lot more, as soon as they hit the headlines, every idiot jumps on the band wagon, pretending they knew them, or their mothers brothers cousin.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2012, 22:05   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
All this bullshine about a British triumph, gets up my wick.
British triumph, He did it on his own, without any help from Britain, he could have lived in Timbuctoo, for all any body cared before.
What part did Britain play in this, did they help him get where he is, or pay for his training, so why should they get any credit.
Same with a lot more, as soon as they hit the headlines, every idiot jumps on the band wagon, pretending they knew them, or their mothers brothers cousin.
The plank i heard on news,said the difference was this time,money was available?
Old 23-07-2012, 07:16   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
My dad was a keen amateur racing cyclist in the 30s.

It was more popular then than it is now.

He won two silver and one gold medal in races from Burnley to Blackpool.

Those were the days when your bike was a standard heavy frame and you had to cycle from home to the race start.

PS and cycle home afterwards!
I have been watching the road races for the last 20-odd years. Husband and son are big fans - didn't understand it much at the beginning but have absorbed a lot. They show many of the classic races here too - Bartoli and Coppi from the 30's and 40's figure a lot -National heroes in Italy and of course Pantani who had us on the edge of our seats in the 90's (before his sad demise).

There is a lot of money in cycling now, but seeing the old races when they didn't have all the high tech staff, equipment and training with medical help makes you realise what intrepid people they were back then -literally setting off with a couple of inner-tubes crossed over their bodies (in case of a puncture!) going 200 km a day over mountains etc.there's some incredible footage.

Last time I was on my bike I managed to fall off and wreck my knee - I only go slowly and my max distance is about 15-20km if pushed! It is good exercise too and cheap once you've bought the bike.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 08:08   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
The plank i heard on news,said the difference was this time,money was available?
Athletes now get more funding than ever before, especially through the lottery, they had a scratch card that was to totally support our athletes cashy
Old 23-07-2012, 12:14   #11
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
There might have been money available, but who paid for his training and bikes before that, not britain, not the lottery either, like I said he did it on his Own, years of dedicated training.
Shoving money at him in the past few months would'nt have improved his cycling ability, just funded the leeches and hanger ons who appear when they smell a good thing.

Last edited by Retlaw; 23-07-2012 at 12:17.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 17:49   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
There might have been money available, but who paid for his training and bikes before that, not britain, not the lottery either, like I said he did it on his Own, years of dedicated training.
Shoving money at him in the past few months would'nt have improved his cycling ability, just funded the leeches and hanger ons who appear when they smell a good thing.
Well its all been worth while as they now say he'll make £20 million out of it

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..