Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Sport and Hobby Talk General chat about anything sport or hobby related.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jim Procter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2014, 15:59   #1

Angry US Super Bowl

Did any of you stay up last night to see this game?After all the hype I thought I would give it a go.I thought that I would die of boredom.Adverts adverts and more adverts followed by a bit of a game vaguely resembling Rugby and the more adverts.Its excruciating folks, it really is. The Yanks go mad about it but it is all beyond me.I had a good supply of tinnies and had looked forward to watching something special but I was so disappointed that I went to bed after the most boring hour of my life.I bet you want to know who won? Who cares!!!!
steve2qec likes this.
Jim Procter is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-02-2014, 16:02   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: US Super Bowl

Agree Jim, we were unfortunate enough to be in Vegas about 11/12 yrs ago when it was on, was exceedingly difficult to avoid, as the hotels on the strip were full of the daft gits.
Old 03-02-2014, 16:40   #3
God Member

is that the game similar to rugby but with girly pads and crash helmets ?

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 20:36   #4
God Member

Association football could learn a lot from American football ... I'm not talking about what happens on the field ... altho' it's a toss up which is the more boring, wimps with armour, or wimps who go to ground in agony if someone farts in their general direction ... but in terms of how the game is organized. Soccer could well do with salary caps and a draft system. Take the EPL ... please take it and flush it. It has nothing to do with real football. It's all about which team has the most money with which to buy the best players. Back in the day when Burnley ... yes, Burnley ... won the first division title, any team could beat any other team on any given day; it wasn't just a question of which foreign billionaire was prepared to part with the most cash. Great teams with long illustrious histories have disappeared from contention: Leeds United, Sheffield Wednesday, Ipswich Town, Notts Forest, yes, even Blackburn Rovers. (I won't even approach the question of the negative effect all this has on England's national team.) How many of the overpaid pussies in the EPL will run a fish and chip shop after their playing days are over? John Connelly did. I guess when you are pulling in a hundred thousand quid a week you already have a retirement plan.

And it's no wonder that football is popular the world over. Any kid can pick up and develop the skills. Let's look at hockey You need ice time, skates, pads, helmets with face guards (compulsory) ... and if your lad or your lass shows promise as a goalie ... the equipment costs, ouch Same with American football ... and remember there is much more physical contact in the game, especially on the line, and the blocking. Even poor kids in third world countries can make a ball and find an open space where they can kick it around. I suppose most of you can come up with the names of great players who, as kids, didn't have a pot to pee in or a window to dump it out of, so I won't bother.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:18   #5
God Member

Just by accident, I came across this interesting fact on the web. Based on results achieved over the 112 Football League seasons from 1888 to 2011 the fourth most successful club is ... well, you can find it. Gotta admit I was surprised ... and there are no Russian, Arab, American or Malaysian billionaires lining up to by them.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

« Archery | Snooker »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..