Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Sport and Hobby Talk General chat about anything sport or hobby related.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By DaveinGermany
  • 3 Post By Eric

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-10-2013, 14:48   #1
God Member

Way to go girls ...

Hockey ... you gotta love it ... the sport for real women:

Line brawl during USA vs Canada women's ice hockey international | Sport | theguardian.com
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-10-2013, 15:42   #2
God Member

Re: Way to go girls ...

I almost forgot this:

Old 15-10-2013, 17:05   #3
I am Banned

Our Joey would lick the lot of em !!!

DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 18:05   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Our Joey would lick the lot of em !!!

Joey on skates ... my mind is boggling

And if you think the girls can't handle Barton, we have just the guy for him to get chippy or chirpy with:

Old 15-10-2013, 18:33   #5
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

They probably go down the "Bin" week-ends.
Eric likes this.
Old 15-10-2013, 18:44   #6
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
They probably go down the "Bin" week-ends.
This is more like it guys.

Way to go indeed....

Last edited by Neil; 17-10-2013 at 02:04.
Old 15-10-2013, 20:42   #7
God Member

I really don't want to get too serious on a thread like this; but that Joey Barton video underscores one of the problems with soccer ... oops, "football". Barton comes up with a cheap shot ... didn't seem like much but the guy who took it went down like he'd been smoked across the pumpkin with a Louisville Slugger ... and he gets to walk off the field for chrissake. He wouldn't get off so lightly in hockey. And look at what happened with Suarez and Evra! Now, Evra looks like a sturdy lad, and in hockey he would have gone up to Suarez and drifted him a good one or two across the side of his head. But what did he end up doing? He refused to shake hands with him, or some dumb shiite like that. If Suarez had called Georges Laraque a nigger, he'd still have tweety birds circling his head. Nothing wrong with a bit of one-on-one retalliation. (There are strict rules in hockey about being the third man in on a fight, and bench-clearing brawls are a no-no.) But I still believe that a good right cross would be a better deterrent to the chippy stuff that mars football than any number of colored cards. If you fans of the beautiful game watched some hockey, you would be surprised, not only at the quality of the reffing, but also at how few penalties are called.
Old 15-10-2013, 21:16   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I really don't want to get too serious on a thread like this; but that Joey Barton video underscores one of the problems with soccer ... oops, "football". Barton comes up with a cheap shot ... didn't seem like much but the guy who took it went down like he'd been smoked across the pumpkin with a Louisville Slugger ....
It is hard to get serious Eric when footballers go down under the most innocuous of challenges as if they have been hit by a round from a 0.458 Winchester... BUT and it is a big but I am uneasy with kids seeing that kind of thing just as much as I would be over your way with them seeing such unedifying battles on the ice.

Old 15-10-2013, 22:14   #9
God Member

Quote:
It is hard to get serious Eric when footballers go down under the most innocuous of challenges as if they have been hit by a round from a 0.458 Winchester... BUT and it is a big but I am uneasy with kids seeing that kind of thing just as much as I would be over your way with them seeing such unedifying battles on the ice.

There's an ongoing debate over here about fighting in hockey ... conclusions seem to be favoring fighting as part of hockey. Canadian kids are cool enough about the sport to realize that hockey is not about fighting, but that fights will occasionally break out in certain circumstances. Hockey is just like football in that the point of the game is to put an object into the opponent's net. But there is a lot more physical contact. The players move faster on a smaller playing surface. Contact is constant. But all of us who love the game realize that there are occasions when that contact goes beyond what is acceptable. And that's when the gloves go down and the fists start flying. Like football over there, hockey here is more than a sport ... it's almost a way of life. It's a big part of who we are. And, pardon me for being smug, we still dominate our sport.
Old 16-10-2013, 02:09   #10
I am Banned

Quote:
There's an ongoing debate over here about fighting in hockey ... conclusions seem to be favoring fighting as part of hockey. Canadian kids are cool enough about the sport to realize that hockey is not about fighting, but that fights will occasionally break out in certain circumstances. Hockey is just like football in that the point of the game is to put an object into the opponent's net. But there is a lot more physical contact. The players move faster on a smaller playing surface. Contact is constant. But all of us who love the game realize that there are occasions when that contact goes beyond what is acceptable. And that's when the gloves go down and the fists start flying. Like football over there, hockey here is more than a sport ... it's almost a way of life. It's a big part of who we are. And, pardon me for being smug, we still dominate our sport.
I shared your vid with a colleague in Laval, Quebec and this was his reply Eric.

"
That's normal in every match in ice hockey Dave. The crowd would want their money back if there wasn't a fight! North Americans like to see blood on the ice. Although the school leagues and amateur game is a now lot stricter in penalising fighting.
Pete"
Old 16-10-2013, 03:43   #11
God Member

Quote:
I shared your vid with a colleague in Laval, Quebec and this was his reply Eric.

"
That's normal in every match in ice hockey Dave. The crowd would want their money back if there wasn't a fight! North Americans like to see blood on the ice. Although the school leagues and amateur game is a now lot stricter in penalising fighting.
Pete"
What a crock of horse manure ... the fans don't go to the games to see fights; they go to watch hockey. If all they want to see is fighting, they can pay the same amount of money and go watch George St Pierre. Hockey is about skating, passing, puck handling, shooting, checking, and luck. It's an intensely physical game, played by big, strong men, at high speed on a small playing surface. Sometimes tempers flare ... but the problem is usually resolved in a matter of less than a minute. Fighting is a minor part of a very skillful game. The only reason that people are highlighting and debating the role of fighting in hockey is that it has become politically correct to do so ... same reason that some folks would like to see kids forced to wear protection while playing games like conkers. When I came to this country ... that would be the last year of the original six ... players didn't wear helmets, not even the goalie. Eddie "Iron Man" Giacomin used to stop pucks with his face. Maybe the pc nazis will win out and take all the physicality out of hockey, reducing it to some bland, green, lite, eco friendly pale image of itself ... maybe we can change the name of the game to soccer.
Old 16-10-2013, 06:47   #12
I am Banned

Quote:
What a crock of horse manure ... the fans don't go to the games to see fights; they go to watch hockey. If all they want to see is fighting, they can pay the same amount of money and go watch George St Pierre. Hockey is about skating, passing, puck handling, shooting, checking, and luck. It's an intensely physical game, played by big, strong men, at high speed on a small playing surface. Sometimes tempers flare ... but the problem is usually resolved in a matter of less than a minute. Fighting is a minor part of a very skillful game. The only reason that people are highlighting and debating the role of fighting in hockey is that it has become politically correct to do so ... same reason that some folks would like to see kids forced to wear protection while playing games like conkers. When I came to this country ... that would be the last year of the original six ... players didn't wear helmets, not even the goalie. Eddie "Iron Man" Giacomin used to stop pucks with his face. Maybe the pc nazis will win out and take all the physicality out of hockey, reducing it to some bland, green, lite, eco friendly pale image of itself ... maybe we can change the name of the game to soccer.
Quote:
I really don't want to get too serious on a thread like this; .
Calm down Eric, have cup of tea mate
Old 16-10-2013, 12:00   #13
God Member

Quote:
Calm down Eric, have cup of tea mate
I'm always calm ... that's part of my charm.
MargaretR, DtheP47 and susie123 like this.
Old 16-10-2013, 15:29   #14
I am Banned

Quote:
I'm always calm ... that's part of my charm.
Way to go Eric.. and I did get my double entendre past the mods

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..