Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Sport and Hobby Talk General chat about anything sport or hobby related.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2008, 22:28   #1
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!
Worsley Cup Final

Congrats to all at Accrington CC on a easy win today, what a turnaround on the last few seasons and 21 pts clear in the league as well.

Accrington 290-6 Todmorden 186 All Out
Accrington win by 104 runs

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-08-2008, 22:40   #2

Re: Worsley Cup Final

Thoroughly deserved win. Great knocks from Silva,Lloyd, Crabtree & Bulcock. Tod never looked likely to get close to 290.
Enjoyed the day, shame about the local chavs causing a bit of bother!
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 23:01   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

well done accy, what a great turnaround.
Old 03-08-2008, 23:35   #4
I am Band

Thumbs up Re: Worsley Cup Final

Well done Accy, winning the Worsley Cup with a record score. It was a comprehensive victory, where everyone played their part; our first Pot in 22 years.

After a few dodgy opening overs, where Matt Wilson and then Paul Carroll both went cheaply, Accy consolidated and steadied the ship. With 10 overs gone, we were 27-2.
The score moved on to 41 when the third wicket fell; Sneds was not a happy chappy when the umpire's finger went up. A dodgy decision, methinks. Stuart Crabtree & our paid man, Royston Silva, pushed the score on to 91, when Crabby was caught on the boundary edge, well on his way to a half century, and a collection...
Enter Graham Lloyd. Graham & Roy took the game to the Todmorden bowlers, compiling a stand of 119 runs. There was no hiding place for the opposition bowlers, especially the Tod Captain, Jon Henderson, who was milked from his first over. Graham Lloyd made 59 & Roy Silva went on to make 111 before being clean bowled by Andy Sutcliffe of Todmorden.
Clean hitting from Toby Bulcock & Zed Afzal pushed Accy's score to a record 290-6 from 50 overs.

With such a high score to defend, the final result was almost a foregone conclusion, but the Tod openers, Simon Newbitt & Ben Sutcliffe, had other ideas, putting together a century opening stand.
A superb spell of spin bowling from Paul Carroll & man of the match, Toby Bulcock, ripped the heart out of the Todmorden middle order. The runs were never scored at the required rate and the end was soon in sight.
Matt Wilson, our Bertie Backstop, took a couple of catches & a stumping. A shout also goes out to Simon Hanson, who took 3 catches in the deep; one of which he had no right to get to, but still managed to cling on to.

From Dibber Ormerod's Barmy Army, I would like to say, "Well done, Boys".
You all did your town and your very vocal following proud!

Well Done Accy!

Maybe a few photos from the game at Centre Vale will follow.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!

Last edited by Sparkologist; 03-08-2008 at 23:45. Reason: Because I can!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 01:21   #5
Senior Member+

Great news, well done Accy, it,s been a while in coming but, by the sounds of it, a great result from a great team. Congratulations all round.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:57   #6

Thanks, Sparkologist for your report. It was a good day and a great result, all we need to do now is stay at the top of the table!
ossylass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:10   #7
Senior Member+

9/10 games left its would be a feat if they can do it. My team (enfield) gave you a nice hand in beating rawtenstall on sat.
Nickelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 14:49   #8

Well done accy it was a brilliant day. From what i remember it was a brilliant night aswell in what was a very friendly atmosphere back at accy cc given what went on during the match. Congratulations to everybody associated with accrington cc you deserved it.
NOW FOR THE LEAGUE!
brfc1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 15:31   #9
Loz

Great for Accy!
Heard it kicked off a bit though afterwards.
Fighting in the pubs or something,Heard there were some lads from Yorkshire causing bother anybody shed any light on this?
Old 04-08-2008, 16:27   #10

accy brought 200+ fans and there was good natured banter between the two set of fans because accy was outsinging todmordon a few of the young todmorden fans rang a few of thier mates up that had been in the pub all day and thats when things turned a bit nasty
brfc1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 17:54   #11
Senior Member+

It was a great day and a momentous win for the lads. It's been 22 years coming and it was well deserved ! I am proud of our team and our fans, it was marred by the behaviour of some Todmorden yobs who couldn't handle their ale and had no interest in the cricket whatsoever. The party was still going strong at 2 am this morning, it could get very messy if we do the double !
Old 04-08-2008, 18:55   #12
God Member

Well done to all..............thoroughly deserved..........
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:42   #13
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Had a brilliant day (and was ever so slightly hammered). Well done Accy...

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 14:00   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by brfc1974 View Post
accy brought 200+ fans and there was good natured banter between the two set of fans because accy was outsinging todmordon a few of the young todmorden fans rang a few of thier mates up that had been in the pub all day and thats when things turned a bit nasty
Yeah it seemed to kick off a bit Ive just read this.

Cricket final marred by violence - News - Manchester Evening News

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..